PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper

rrooster
05-18-2001, 04:34 AM
Am seriously concidering purchasing a Grasshopper 725 W/61" flip up and hydrolic lift. Have looked at and seen Dixie and Toro work. Would like some imput from anyone using Grasshopper!

mowerman90
05-18-2001, 07:25 AM
I have owned 2 Grasshoppers. The first was a 720K w/52 mulching deck, the second and current machine is a 725G2 w/52 mulching deck. The first machine had problems beause of the 20 hp Kohler (broken cam gear). My current machine is a pure pleasure to own. It currently has about 1000 hours on it and has not given me one bit of problems. Overall, a much better machine than the first one. I considered getting the flip up deck with this one but couldn't see the added expense being worth it. It also is not as easy to flip up as they make it look in the brochures. Get a jungle jack instead, it's quick and cheap. I have no experience with the hydraulic deck lift system but it seems like overkill to me. I mean, how often can you change your deck height while doing one job? Just my .02

swn
05-18-2001, 12:33 PM
I have 3 grasshoppers. The newest one is a 725 with a 61" deck. It has a 25 hp kohler. I really like it. I also considered the the flip up deck and the hydraulic lift, but I did not get either one. I agree with mowerman 90, that the flip up deck looks a lot easier than it actually is. The hydraulic lift would be nice if you plan to get the aererator(ever how you spell it) that grasshopper offers. But otherwise I wouldn't get it.

boozoo
05-18-2001, 10:30 PM
I have a 725 G2, 800 hours, 52" deck, with both the flip-up deck and the Hydraulic lift. I didn't want the flip up deck, but had to have my original regular deck replaced (gratis) by Grasshopper because the pressure exerted by the hydraulic lift kept me from having the correct pitch. The flip-up is actually pretty simple, I can do it in about 2 minutes by myself, adn it does come in handy when replacing blades, checking gearbox oil, etc; but I still prefer the other deck, less moving parts and stuff to go wrong. The hydraulic lift on the other hand is GREAT! I use it constantly, more than I ever dreamed I would - jumping curbs, getting up steep hills, avoiding obstacles and scalping situations, and it saves me mucho time doing leaves in the fall. Like my dealer said, once you've had one you never go back. If they would go trouble free for 2000-3000 hours, I would never own another mower, but . . .

Mowingman
05-18-2001, 11:08 PM
I looked at both the Grasshopper front deck models and the midmount models. Idecided to go with the 428D midmount (72";Diesel) and I love the machine. I have just had one small problem, throttle cable broke, but dealer had factory UPS one direct to me and I was only down a morning. I toured the factory before buying and was super impressed with their engineering and quality control. Grasshopper does not have a big following on this list, but I think a lot of people are overlooking some great machines.:blob3:

boozoo
05-19-2001, 12:12 AM
Mowingman, let me know how you feel after about 1000 hours . . .

Mowingman
05-19-2001, 07:21 AM
boozoo,
I will let you know how things progress with the Grasshopper as the hours accumulate. Downtime and inability to get parts quickly will change my opinion,(should these situations arise). I have a good dealer here, so we will see what happens. So far, I'm still in love with it.:D

boozoo
05-19-2001, 08:57 PM
hey Mowingman, best of luck with your Grasshopper. I've had 6 of them (I have 3 now, 2 front-mounts and a mid-mount) and when they are NEW, I like them better than most anything, I especially like the front mount with the G2, and the Kubota engine is tops. IMO, they are the most versatile mower on the market (the front mount, I mean) because they have a good finish cut, they bag well, they cut fast, and they minimize trimming. There are probably better mowers in each of these categories, but none as good in all categories. The only problem: durability. My experience has been two years and then trade'em back in while you can, before you start having lots of down time. Anybody else hae this opinion?

RMc Lawn
05-20-2001, 09:11 PM
I have 2. The first is a 720 Kohler w/ 61" deck the second is a725 G2 w/ 25 kubota. I love the G2. Much smoother and the flip up deck is great for cleaning and changing blades. I would really like to try the new midmount though.

mike01
05-21-2001, 11:27 PM
We (Yard Barbers Inc.) purchased our first grass hopper this year at a trade show, it was a demo with a good price, $8,900. Its a 725k kohler gas engine,with a 61" front mount deck. We also purchased the "Aera-vator" attachment ($3,600). Plugged one side of my yard used the Aera-vator on the other, what a differance the Area-vator made! I will post the pics as soon as they are developed. Coreless aeration is the way to go!

Needless to say we have been very pleased with the package.

wuli60
05-22-2001, 03:16 AM
Rooster,
I have a 725G2 two years old with 1300 hours and a 928 three years old with 1800 hours. Have not had any serious issues with either machine. Neither machine has been down more than a couple hours over their life span. Both machines have flip up decks(now) and hydrolic lifts. At first these options seemed like overkill but now, I would not leave home without them.

In response to durability, all I can say is that I keep the machines lubed daily, synthetic oil changed every 50 hrs, and filters maintained.

Service probably depends on location but I'm lucky to have an outstanding dealer-close. He will come to me if the need arrises.
Seems like everyone is about mowers like the vehicle they drive. I personaly could care less about the make, just the final product, and the Hopper is very NEAT and productive!

excel25
05-22-2001, 07:58 AM
Have had a 725 G2 for over 2 years now. looking at getting a mid also. . go for it!! You will be glade you did :D

The_Outlaw
05-22-2001, 01:35 PM
I just bought a Grasshopper 720K with the 61" flip up deck. Picked it up last Saturday, and put about 7-8 hours on it. I'm very impressed with the performance of this machine! Obviously I can't help you with durability endorsements just yet, but from what I've seen it looks to be pretty durable.

One note on the flip up deck, make sure you get the deck wheel handle securely into the notch before you lower the deck height setting to release the deck latches. (Mine wasnt, and I managed to have the deck come down on my big toe... OUCH, that sucker is heavy!):eek:

P. Nelson
03-26-2002, 04:00 PM
I purchased a 725 G2 w/61" flipup deck. I have only 17 hours on it but what a joy to run! I have a cutomer who asked if I could mow his hayfield since the farmer who bales it retired. I was a little hesitant at first but I got in there and couldn't believe the capability of this mower. It cut as fast as I could go! Time will tell but for now I'm happy!

swn
03-26-2002, 09:39 PM
P. Nelson, congratulations on the purchase. Is yours the kohler or the kubota? Last year I bought the 725 with kohler. I think it is a great machine. But if I can sell it, I will be getting a new one with the G2 and also the flip up deck. The new flip up decks are deeper than the regular decks.

P. Nelson
04-08-2002, 12:59 PM
Steve my G-hoppper is the 725 G2 with the 25hp Kubota engine. I demo'd everything out there before I made my purchase. The GH just plain whipped the competition. I also have a 48" snowplow with it and though we didn't get alot of snow the deepest snow I plowed was 7" I was quite impressed with it's snowplowing capability as well. No other (that I no of) had the ability to put a snowblade on the front. That was another selling point for me:) :)

tim cooper
04-08-2002, 03:10 PM
I purchased a 720d 61 inch deck with the 15 cu.ft. grasscatcher. I love it. Only problem I seem to encounter is the treaded tires on the mower. If ground has the least bit of moisture in it the treads make an indention in the turf. As for the grasscatcher. Used on several lawns during fall with pine straw. Mulchedem right up and used them in beds and around trees. Charged them nicely and they like the idea of reusing the pine straw..

LLandscaping
04-09-2002, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't buy a grasshopper, because of the problems with the hydrolic system, it needs to be replaced after about 1000 hours. It is very costly. I would recommend a Scag or Exmark. They both make good machines and are a good bit cheaper than the grasshopper and often last a lot longer.

Lovell's Landscaping

P. Nelson
04-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Steve I entertained the idea of getting the grass catcher but didn't do it cuz I didn't know if I could sell the idea. How much do you charge when you bag the clippings? I've heard of guys almost doubling their charges. If you charge 40 to cut charge 80 to cut and bag. From previous post... my deck is the flipup model and I am moderately pleased with the ease in completing the function. I demo'd JD's outfront deck and I couldn't flip up the deck with out a 6foot long 2x4. The dealer ended up showing me a "trick" to doing it without the 2x4. Yeah my tires leave imprints as well. I am very careful when turning or you will scuff the turf...you kinda got to get a feel for it but once you know what you're doing, once you do you can turn efficiently without thinking about it.

tranum
04-09-2002, 05:24 PM
i have a 721d g2 with flip deck, hydraulic lift & 15 cu ft catcher. had some deck problems at 1st but G/H replaced original deck @ no cost. love the hydraulic lift. i mow some pretty tough areas & it is great for skipping over tree roots, ant hills, etc. only have about 450 hrs on it now so can't comment on reliability in the long run.
two negatives i have found:virtually no side to side flotation on the deck (even with the so-called floating bushings installed.)
and it doesn't handle hills/slopes very well. IMO.

Mowingman
04-09-2002, 09:38 PM
LLandscaping,
I assume you must have had a bad experience with one of the Grasshoppers that has the Gemini transmission. Before I bought my Grasshopper last year I did a lot of research on them, including , taking a tour of the factory and asking the president of Grasshopper some pointed questions about their transmissions. The Gemini trans. has it's problems, but the newer G1 and G2 trans. are a whole different setup and have proven to be much better than the Geminis. They are also much cheaper to replace.Our City has five of the 721D machines with the newer transthat they use to mow cemetarys. Some have over 2000hrs. with no trans trouble yet.:)

swn
04-09-2002, 11:34 PM
Looks like I'll be getting a new 725K either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning. I can't wait. I am selling last years model with about 450 hrs. for $6500. I think that's pretty good, do you all? My dealer said it would take him 2-3 weeks to get one in with a hydraulic lift. So I am not getting that.
P. Nelson, I charge either 1.5 or 2 times a regular cut, usually, depending upon the amount of leaves. there are extreme cases though.

The Lawn Caddy
09-28-2004, 07:47 PM
What was the benefit of the coreless? I purchased the 40 with the electric lift and have had nothing but problems with the straps. What type of lift do you have?

Envy Lawn Service
09-28-2004, 08:41 PM
Mowingman, let me know how you feel after about 1000 hours . . .
My competition is getting thousands of trouble free hours out of their fleet of Grasshoppers, most of which are 21hp Kubota diesels. 321D's and 721D's. The new front mounts seem to be a lot more durable than the old ones, and the new M-1 midmounts seem even more durable than that.

If I could buy any mower, it would very likely be a 428D/61"....
I want one now but can't justify the cost just yet....

Simplyhere
09-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Heck, I might as well weigh in. I'm just a homeowner, but I demo'd everything I could ride and ended up buying a 2004 220/52" Grasshopper. No, it's technically not a commercial machine, but the dealer gave me the number of 4 people who had that exact mower, all of whom I called, and ALL of whom gave glowing references - in fact, one guy had something like 600 hours on his and had never had one issue. Heck, I even called a local service repairman and he said of all the machine he routinely worked on, Grasshopper was the easiest and he saw them the fewest.

For the money I paid, $5900 out the door, I couldn't beat it for the price. I got a new machine, warranty, good dealer...so far I absolutely love mine. For a few hours per week mowing, I have no complaints at all.

Envy Lawn Service
09-28-2004, 08:56 PM
I demo'd everything I could ride and ended up buying a 2004 220/52" Grasshopper.

So please tell me, what do you think of the way the 20hp Kohler handles the machine and the 52" deck when the going gets tough???

Simplyhere
09-28-2004, 09:19 PM
Well, I honestly couldn't imagine a better homeowner's machine. The 20hp Kohler appears to be more than sufficient, and the 52" deck is outstanding. The discharge is smooth; clippings are almost invisible after mowing...I have nothing but accolades SO FAR. The dealer I bought mine from sells Grasshopper and Toro, and they recommended Grasshopper unilaterally. Who knows why, but they did.

Now, having said all that, let's be honest. LCOs get those 3' high yards, those freaky, picky customers, those yards with tons of acreage and those days when they MUST mow in the rain - and they throw heavy, heavy hours on a machine. Would a 20/52 be adequate for those guys? No. But my yard (and a lady's I cut every now and then) are smooth, consistent in grass blade height and my machine goes through it at full speed with no hesitation. I don't let the grass get too high, and I don't cut the grass 1/2" from the ground. I rarely cut wet so that's not an issue, and at the rate I cut I won't put a dent in the overall longevity of this machine. At 50 hours per season, heck, I'll have the darn thing 20 years, if I maintain it properly.

Besides, there are 20hp, 52" machines out there that would be considered professional, commercial equipment and are being used as such. Mine is very basic, but I swear, based on my just under 50 hours, I have zero complaints.

Envy Lawn Service
09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Thank you!

Actually your machine is commercial grade and is also considered a commercial machine. I was just curious about the 20/52 combo because other guys here have them on Toro's, ect... Secondly, I believe I can get a good deal on a new '03 eXmark Lazer Z 20hp 52" cut. But I have been rather skeptical of the 20/52 combo. A 48" deck seems to work them hard... but the thing I've been thinking of is that the gearing ratio of the pulleys is better on the 52" deck. With the longer blades, the 52" can achieve as good or better blade tip speed with lower pulley gearing... which might equal less actual strain on the engine... YADA-YADA...

Mowingman
09-28-2004, 10:00 PM
I am a Grasshopper dealer, as well as a mowing contractor. We sell a lot of the 20hp/52, midmount machines to both homeowners, and commercial guys. However, I usually try to get the commercial guys to upgrade to the 23hp/52 setup. The 20hp, in my opinion, is underpowered on the 52" deck, if you mulch, or get into some tough mowing conditions. One LCO, does a 12 acre park with his 20hp/52, as that was all he could afford this year. He said he really should have stretched his budget and got the 23hp engine. He is otherwise, very happy with the performance of the machine and the 52" deck.
I really like lots of horsepower. I did have a 428D/72" and a 321D/61". Due to downsizing, I now run a 25hp, liquid-cooled/61" midmount, and a 27hp/61" midmount. both Grasshoppers of course.

PLM-1
09-29-2004, 12:56 AM
I've gotta 2005 722 D and it is awesome. The hydro deck lift is awesome as well as the powerfold. if you hit that button it puts the deck weight on the drive tires and you can get out of anything. I know a few ppl that have over 8000 hrs on them w/ NO PROBLEMS. the G2 trans. is tons better than the regular gemini. Kubota diesels run forever as long as you take care of them.

Envy Lawn Service
10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Mowingman,

Is the 27/61" the 227/61 by chance?

Mowingman
10-02-2004, 08:54 AM
Envy,
Yes, it is the 227. I was just taking a shortcut, to lazy to type the extra "2". :)

Grass Man
10-10-2006, 04:53 PM
GRASSHOPPER FLUID

.... I stopped by the GRASSHOPPER dealer today and we talked, or I should say I listened most of the time. At the very end of our conversation, just before we parted, he mentioned $16-$17 dollars per qt. for the hydro's fluid. And he implied that this was done after the brake in. I am to meet with him later and I will inquire about this again. Now, my question to all of you who run GRASSHOPPERS. Is this true, was this used in the old pumps or the new one's or both and, if so, what kind of fluid is this that is so expensive?

:confused:

PLM-1
10-10-2006, 05:08 PM
GRASSHOPPER FLUID

.... I stopped by the GRASSHOPPER dealer today and we talked, or I should say I listened most of the time. At the very end of our conversation, just before we parted, he mentioned $16-$17 dollars per qt. for the hydro's fluid. And he implied that this was done after the brake in. I am to meet with him later and I will inquire about this again. Now, my question to all of you who run GRASSHOPPERS. Is this true, was this used in the old pumps or the new one's or both and, if so, what kind of fluid is this that is so expensive?

:confused:

On the G2 systems, filter only at 500 hrs. At 1000 hrs fluid change (doesn't always need it!) and filter change.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2006, 05:45 PM
$16-17 a quart?

I smell a ripoff, either from Grasshopper or the dealer.

What lubricant could possibly be worth that a quart?

It's probably just 20w50 motor oil or 15w50 synthetic or something.

tacoma200
10-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Thank you!

Actually your machine is commercial grade and is also considered a commercial machine. I was just curious about the 20/52 combo because other guys here have them on Toro's, ect... Secondly, I believe I can get a good deal on a new '03 eXmark Lazer Z 20hp 52" cut. But I have been rather skeptical of the 20/52 combo. A 48" deck seems to work them hard... but the thing I've been thinking of is that the gearing ratio of the pulleys is better on the 52" deck. With the longer blades, the 52" can achieve as good or better blade tip speed with lower pulley gearing... which might equal less actual strain on the engine... YADA-YADA...
Envy that was my first mower, a 20 hp 52" cut mid mount Grasshopper. Great little machine that taught me my first lesson, you can never have too much power. It was a very well laid out, comfortable machine, very high quality and I loved the way Grasshopper mounted the lights. It would be a great homeowner mower and as long as you didn't get into the really heavy growth you were fine. It really struggles in the Spring growth on fast growing lawns. 23-25 hp would have been much better for comercial use. It didn't like steep slopes and scared me pretty bad a few times in the morning dew. Other than that great little mower. Thumbs up on this mower exept for heavy growth or steep slopes.

Mowingman
10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
I am a Grasshopper dealer. Change the oil just like your owners manual says. for the G2, it would be 1000 hours before the first oil change. It is a synthetic oil, with additives specified by Grasshopper to reduce wear and increase life of the pumps and wheel motors.
I don't have my prices here at the house, and, of course, the dealer can charge whatever they choose. I believe we sell it for about $12.50/qt. Since it takes a gallon/change, the cost comes out to about 5 cents/operating hour if you use the Grasshopper brand fluid.

Grass Man
10-10-2006, 09:57 PM
.... Thank you Mowingman for the clarification. Apparently this dealership has a pretty GOOD markup.

:rolleyes:

I am a Grasshopper dealer. Change the oil just like your owners manual says. for the G2, it would be 1000 hours before the first oil change. It is a synthetic oil, with additives specified by Grasshopper to reduce wear and increase life of the pumps and wheel motors.
I don't have my prices here at the house, and, of course, the dealer can charge whatever they choose. I believe we sell it for about $12.50/qt. Since it takes a gallon/change, the cost comes out to about 5 cents/operating hour if you use the Grasshopper brand fluid.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Envy that was my first mower, a 20 hp 52" cut mid mount Grasshopper. Great little machine that taught me my first lesson, you can never have too much power. It was a very well laid out, comfortable machine, very high quality and I loved the way Grasshopper mounted the lights. It would be a great homeowner mower and as long as you didn't get into the really heavy growth you were fine. It really struggles in the Spring growth on fast growing lawns. 23-25 hp would have been much better for comercial use. It didn't like steep slopes and scared me pretty bad a few times in the morning dew. Other than that great little mower. Thumbs up on this mower exept for heavy growth or steep slopes.

Thanks for that info... but someone dug up an OLD thread to ask about the Grasshopper fluid.

At the time I made that post I was looking at those 52" units to replace some of the small boat anchors I had at that time... and the 220/52 & a leftover '03 20/52 Lazer Z were units I had found good deals on at the time.

I'm glad I didn't buy either of them, but in a way I do sorta wish I had bought the Lazer Z now. Primarily because I would not have ever tried a Lazer HP. Despite the lack of power, I think I would have been happier with it than the 23/52 Lazer HP too... I think.

Envy Lawn Service
10-10-2006, 10:54 PM

I know opinions are like _____ , but in my opinion that is not a wise practice.

Like engines I think they need a "break-in" fluid and filter change early on, then resume normal hydro drain intervals of 500 or 1000 hours or once a year if less.

Just curious... how much oil does the G2 system hold?

MJB
10-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Envy: They hold like 2 gallons I think, been a while since I changed mine.
I went down to my Schaeffer Oil dealer and had them research the Grasshopper oil and gave me their version much cheaper in fact very reasonable. I have never had any hydro problems even on my old Gemini trans going on 5 yrs with Schaffer oil and 2900 hrs.

One big negative about the 61" decks that I noticed more after running the midmount mowers with bigger front tires. On bumpy rough turf the little tires will fall into holes etc causing blade swirls if you cut lower than 3.5 inches.
The weight on the frontmount decks is a problem for the 61" and up. That is the main reason I'm selling my 725 below. But the 52" deck does great. I put a 25HP Kohler on my 720K 52" and it much better powerwise.

2nd Negative they take up to much room on my trailer....like the midmounts better.

Rottman
10-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I am also looking at the grasshoppers for next year. I would like a 61" deck for sure. I've never ran a front mount so I know I need to demo one. Ref grasshopper's, how is the cut, dry and wet conditions, deck build-up, striping and grass dispersing.
Question for Mowingman, since you are a dealer and have all the models why did you choose the mid mount over the front mount? and why the 227?
Thanks

PLM-1
10-11-2006, 04:26 PM
I am also looking at the grasshoppers for next year. I would like a 61" deck for sure. I've never ran a front mount so I know I need to demo one. Ref grasshopper's, how is the cut, dry and wet conditions, deck build-up, striping and grass dispersing.
Question for Mowingman, since you are a dealer and have all the models why did you choose the mid mount over the front mount? and why the 227?
Thanks

I can answer a few of those questions. definately demo a front mount, i have both a prefer the front. It rides MUCH better and far less trimming. The cut on the 61" is great in all conditions, i never have the need to scrape my deck either. It throws the grass 2-3 swaths over. You have to mess with the deck set up a bit to make it stripe, but when you get it right, it stripes great! I think i posted a few pics a while back, do a search under my screen name.

LTS Lawncare
10-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I am running 2 722D, front cuts with 72" deck and kabota disel, we cut alot of Code Enforcement properties whic can be anywhere from 8" to 3', these machines just don't back up. The fuel economy is about .8 hrs per gal vs, 1.2-1.5 for my 60" Accu z's. The lack of hydro to raise the deck is solved with a chain fall in the rafters of the shop. We average 65hrs per week on each machine and the only problem I have had with either is the S/D solinoid.
At 1000hrs on one and 850hrs on the other this year I will be buying another next year. We have actually cut several lots with 3-5' cane grass, and only hade to double cut to achieve a good result. Not to mention the ride compared to the Accu Z's

Mowingman
10-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks

I use midmounts because of the type of properties we mow. One 25 acre location, a sewage plant, has over 40 buildings and other structures on it creating many tight spots. It also has some wide open areas that are 2 or 3 acres in size. I needed the midmount for the tight spots, and the 61" deck to knock out the open acerage. I like the 27hp on the 61" deck. Lots of power for mowing overgrown areas, as we do code enforcement mowing for our city. The 27 is pretty easy on fuel, and, most of the time we never need all that power. but, when you need it, it is there. Since i replace mowers ever year, there was no need to go with diesel power, even though they last forever.
If I had more wide open properties, or places with fences and low trees to mow under, I would have a front-deck machine in my "fleet". I love the way front deck machines ride, cut, and handle.
Demo both types if you can.

jdlen
10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi Peoples,
I am also a Hopper dealer as well as being a Deere dealer. We just took them on this year and it has been outstanding. We needed a viable, cost effective front mount machine to go with our Z-Traks and it's been a great combination. Every one of our GH sales were to people who wouldn't have bought a Z anyway so it works well. Half of the machines sold this year were 722D's and most were diesel w/61's.
The powerfold deck option has been on 90% of the machines sold, and most of my customers have been home owners. I don't know about your area, but for us the P-Fold has been a free upgrade since July.
As for durability, hey, everything breaks once in a while, even Hoppers but bottom line, they are a popular machine, lots of options, built to last, 100% customer satisfaction.
We sell to one comm acct that has ran them for years and trade their machines out @6000 hours, they run about 6 machines right now.
As for the trans oil, yes, it's expensive (we smelled a ripoff as well) but here's what I got from my rep. It is a oil that is used in aircraft or something, has some mil spec and a bunch of other bla bla..... but I would highly suggest, sticking with it period.

Mowingman
10-12-2006, 09:08 AM
jdlen,
Nice to see another Grasshopper dealer on here. We are selling a lot of Grasshoppers down here. I tell folks they are a well kept secret. Great machines, you just do not hear a lot about them in the trade magazines, or on these websites. It is not unusual for us to sell parts for Grasshoppers that are over 20 years old, and still running great.

jdlen
10-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Howdy MM, It's amazing, once we hung the shingle out that we're a hopper dealer a whole new segment of customer came through the doors. Almost every single one either has had a hopper in the past, knows someone who does/did or on advice from a friend pointed them in this direction. they have a loyal following that's for sure.

jkelton
11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
We've been a Grasshopper dealer for right at 20 years here in TN. Sold mostly front mounts before the midmounts came around. All of them are great machines - they are the only commercial brand we sell.

Has anyone tried the new mulch kit w/the countoured blades and different baffle system? We put one on a customer's 227, but I have not tried it in any grass/leaves myself.

PLM-1
11-05-2006, 12:50 PM
We've been a Grasshopper dealer for right at 20 years here in TN. Sold mostly front mounts before the midmounts came around. All of them are great machines - they are the only commercial brand we sell.

Has anyone tried the new mulch kit w/the countoured blades and different baffle system? We put one on a customer's 227, but I have not tried it in any grass/leaves myself.

I've got one. It does ok if the grass isn't wet and thick. Just put in on this week for leaves. I like it much better with Gators.

ccl
11-05-2006, 10:42 PM
I've never owned a front mount, just didn't fit my needs, but I did own a 225 61" and a 321 61". They are good all around mowers, never had one single problem with either one that I owned. Easy to maintain, good stability, comfortable ride, hydro operation is the best I've used, very durable and pretty good quality of cut and dispersal. I put well over 1000 hrs on both machines with not one single problem, still had the original belts on them when I sold them, all I did was keep sharp blades on them, keep the oil, oil filter and air filter changed and greased regularly and they would just keep on truckin'. Of all the different brands I've owned, I would have to say, as far as, overall satisfaction the Grasshoppers were the best. I'm seriously considering going back to them unless the new JD deck or Scag Velocity decks performance is just off the charts.

dozerdogue
11-06-2006, 03:17 AM
Well I just purchased a 2007 428D last week and will probably be receiving it tomorrow sometime. I wanted an 07 instead of the 06 due to the bullnose front deck that has been added and the resale value so I waited for a new new one. The dealer called me tonight and I missed the call. I can't wait to try it out at my house I have not cut the lawn in at least three weeks and the grass is kind of high. This is my first Grasshopper so I will let you know how it performs. I demoed a 325 and a 322 and was totally impressed with the cutting quality, ride, and how smooth the controls were also so I can only imagine how much better the 428D will be. I was told it was a night and day difference in power. I demoed an exmark, hustler, everride, kubota, John deere and Toro and felt the grassshopper performed better then them all.

Apples
11-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Hey Dozerdogue, Did you get your new mower yet?

Envy Lawn Service
11-07-2006, 07:39 PM

Yeah... did ya?

I'm wanting to see pics of the new deck.

ccl
11-07-2006, 08:22 PM
I just stopped at the local (25miles away) Scag/Grasshopper dealer yesterday. I looked at a new 227 w/Liquid cooled Kaw and 61" deck. As far as, underneath the deck it's still the same, the only change that was made is the piece of steel reinforcement added to the bottom edge of the deck, which I think was needed. Got a chance to look at the Scag Velocity deck also, looks like it's really set up to move high volumes of grass and disperse the clippings well too.

GroundControlLawnCare
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
love mine,i have a 120 48" and so far love it . don"t mow like ya"ll do but i must say very impressed.just started in bussiness part time and started blind . i started out with a BYERS GOLD 48 and went to this BIG DIFFERENCE! do ya"ll have any input on the 120 48 ?

Envy Lawn Service
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
The 120/48 is really too new to find much input on yet.

But I can tell from just looking at it that you could do much worse.
Looks good to me.

GroundControlLawnCare
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
The 120/48 is really too new to find much input on yet.

But I can tell from just looking at it that you could do much worse.
Looks good to me.
thanks alot, i only plan to mow 6-10 lawns a week . i did it for extra money must people i mow have gates so thought it might be a great choice .i have a full time job,but its a great tax write off, may be do it full time one day

dozerdogue
11-07-2006, 11:03 PM
I still didn't receive my Grasshopper 428D yet but as soon as I do I'll post some pictures of it and the new deck. They said I should have it by the end of this week.

S. Helwig
11-07-2006, 11:59 PM
I've got an 06 722D and love it...It's got the 61" deck w/ power fold and the hydro lift option. I wasn't going to go with the lift but it had it on it and he made me a deal on the floor model so I took it. I've had and tried SEVERAL different mowers and the G-Hopper "IMO" handled and road the best. I'm adding a midmount this spring it too will be a GH and also a diesel. Great Mowers!

tacoma200
11-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Liked my mid-mount Grasshopper alot but the cut wasn't the best, and had clumping problems in spring growth. Not the best on hills. But very smooth and comfortable. More comfortable than the Lazer and very close to the Super Z. I liked the headlight placement, controls, and low pressure tires. Best diesel selction.

dozerdogue
11-08-2006, 09:03 AM
Liked my mid-mount Grasshopper alot but the cut wasn't the best, and had clumping problems in spring growth. Not the best on hills. But very smooth and comfortable. More comfortable than the Lazer and very close to the Super Z. I liked the headlight placement, controls, and low pressure tires. Best diesel selction.
I find it odd you think the hill stability is poor because with out a doubt it was the best mower I have ever used on slopes. I had hustler super z and had terrible scalping, major clumping and lack of power even in modest growth.

ccl
11-08-2006, 09:26 AM
I never had any problems with them holding on slopes, I had them on some pretty steep hills too. The only mower I've been on that held a slope better was the Scag Turf Tiger, the Hopper held hills better than the Super Z I use now, I really believe that having the gas tank in the middle of the mower under the seat helps stability having that weight centered, which both the Scag and Hopper have. I didn't think that it performed very well in wet conditions, but I haven't really found any of the brands that totally satisfies me in that category yet. It's definately the most comfortable mower I've owned.

Apples
11-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Do you think the 28hp diesel will be enough to turn a 72" deck?

dozerdogue
11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Do you think the 28hp diesel will be enough to turn a 72" deck?
The 28hp diesel from what I here is easily enough hp for the 72" deck although Im only getting the 61".

tacoma200
11-08-2006, 03:51 PM
I find it odd you think the hill stability is poor because with out a doubt it was the best mower I have ever used on slopes. I had hustler super z and had terrible scalping, major clumping and lack of power even in modest growth.
Mine had the normal turf tires and on steep lake lots it would slide to the bottom with a little dew on the grass or even just moist grass. It was a midmount and I kept tearing up lake lots which are very steep here with a 200 ft. drop to the lake if you go too far. It was a 220 model so other models may do better. I scared the crap out of me several times. Tore the guys back yard up sliding. Never had a problem with the Lazer and the Hustler stuck on a hill the best but had no power to get up very fast. A larger model may have done better. The model I had was just not cut out for slopes. The guys around here use tractor type tread on Grasshoppersfor the slopes but with turf tires mine would not hold. I'm just one person so you really just have to take what I say with a grain of salt. If no one else had the problem then it was probably just the model I was using.

SpikeGT
11-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Howdy MM, It's amazing, once we hung the shingle out that we're a hopper dealer a whole new segment of customer came through the doors. Almost every single one either has had a hopper in the past, knows someone who does/did or on advice from a friend pointed them in this direction. they have a loyal following that's for sure.

Hey jdlen, are you the dealer in Berkey? I heard that you guys are selling Hoppers now. I have had 3 Hoppers 718, 725, and 325. I love these machines. Both the front and mid mount mowers have their spots where they excell over the other.

PLM-1
11-08-2006, 06:39 PM
I just stopped at the local (25miles away) Scag/Grasshopper dealer yesterday. I looked at a new 227 w/Liquid cooled Kaw and 61" deck. As far as, underneath the deck it's still the same, the only change that was made is the piece of steel reinforcement added to the bottom edge of the deck, which I think was needed. Got a chance to look at the Scag Velocity deck also, looks like it's really set up to move high volumes of grass and disperse the clippings well too.

I don't think it was really necessary. They also changed the front deck wheel towers. GH uses a different steel, not like other mowers.

ccl
11-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I don't think it was really necessary. They also changed the front deck wheel towers. GH uses a different steel, not like other mowers.

What exactly do you mean they use a different kind of steel than other mowers? I've never read anything about that or heard it from the dealer, just curious.

tacoma200
11-08-2006, 10:03 PM
I think Toro claims to use a better grade of steel also, not sure.

Envy Lawn Service
11-08-2006, 10:36 PM
tacoma,

The big difference here is that these guys are talking the 300 & 400 (mid) and 700 (front) series "D" models. The diesel frame, balance, and tad more weight (engine and deck size) make all the positive difference in the world on slopes.

You're right... the 220/52's are a LOT different than these models.

dozerdogue
11-08-2006, 11:36 PM
tacoma,

The big difference here is that these guys are talking the 300 & 400 (mid) and 700 (front) series "D" models. The diesel frame, balance, and tad more weight (engine and deck size) make all the positive difference in the world on slopes.

You're right... the 220/52's are a LOT different than these models.
Well said Envy I too think the overall proportions have something to do with the better hill stability in the 300 and 400 series. There's about a 400 pound weight difference between the 428D 61" and the 220 52". Thats about a 40% weight difference.

PLM-1
11-08-2006, 11:38 PM
What exactly do you mean they use a different kind of steel than other mowers? I've never read anything about that or heard it from the dealer, just curious.
It's high tensile strength steel instead of mild steel.

moo2613
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
I can answer a few of those questions. definately demo a front mount, i have both a prefer the front. It rides MUCH better and far less trimming. The cut on the 61" is great in all conditions, i never have the need to scrape my deck either. It throws the grass 2-3 swaths over. You have to mess with the deck set up a bit to make it stripe, but when you get it right, it stripes great! I think i posted a few pics a while back, do a search under my screen name.

PLM-1, I searched, but was unable to find pictures of your set-up. I have a 2001 720k 52" and want to work on the deck set-up. Also, somewhere I read about you posting some pics of the mulching system, and I would like to see those too. Thanks