PDA

View Full Version : ***zero-turn Recomendations ? ***

opher
05-08-2006, 08:46 AM
QUESTION TO ALL THE PRO'S. WHAT IS A GOOD ZERO-TURN AND A GOOD WALK BEHIND FOR RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS? I AM READY TO PURCHASE AND I COULD USE SOME HELP.

THANKS A BUNCH,
:weightlifter: OPHER

Willofalltrades
05-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Sorry but we need more information to tell ya.

Joey bag a' donuts
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
exmark laser z or turftracer. Exmark makes a nice mower

greenscapeman
05-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Opher,

I am an newbie as well. I've been doing a lot of research (on this site and other places) about this subject. From what I have found the brand depends upon your proximity to dealers. All the major commercial brands are solid machines. Everybody has their preferences. But it is essential to buy a machine that can be serviced and maintained conveniently for you.

Tim Wright
05-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Well here are two of my recommendations with qualifiers on them.

If you have flat or rather only a few steep slopes, then I recommend the Ferris mid-mount ZTR's. I have the 1500zIS and it is a very good machine.

If you do have a lot of slopes, then the Wright-Sentar is probably the best machine out there for running hills.

The Ferris has a great cut, and rides like a Licoln. The Wright is powerful, rides like a dirt bike, and will handle most hills going up, down, or diagonal.

I personally would prefer the Sentar over a stander or a walk behind.

BTW- I have the 52 inch machines. Just the right side to get smaller lawns done quickly, and large enough to tackle larger jobs as well.

Tim

beautifullawns
05-08-2006, 07:14 PM
Let us know your choices your local dealer or dealers have and how well there service is. When I first got in I wanted a toro Z master but the local toro dealer is hard to deal with. One other dealer in my area is know for their service. They happen to sell Scag, bobcat, walker, and wright. I have both wright and bobcat and they are great machines but the service is first class. Example this morning I had a problem with my velke mower and my ztr. Pull up to the place and the techs hop up on the trailer and start to work right there and got me back mowing in no time! No matter what the brand is you will need fast good service.

Roger
05-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I have had a 36" w/b for nine seasons. I use it with a sulky for larger, more open jobs. About 10 days ago, I bought a 48" ZTR. The productivity for the ZTR is about the same as the 36" w/b, some jobs a bit faster, other jobs a bit slower.

My properties are 0.5 to 2.0 acres. Most are about 25K sq ft of mowing. I work solo and allocate about 1:15-1:25 per each job (on the job site), mowing about 40 per week. I can use the ZTR on about half the properties. The other properties I don't even consider using the ZTR because of terrain, gates, etc.

Why isn't the ZTR more productive? Some areas have slopes the ZTR will not handle, the w/b can handle. Even some have low branches, ZTR cannot passs under, the w/b can. Many are rough, and the speed advantage of the ZTR is wiped out (too rough to ride, but standing on the sulky works better).

My point: Take a close look at your requirements. Maybe a ZTR isn't the answer for your needs. The common assumption on LS is faster, more productive. This is not necessarily so.

I have, by purpose, avoided branding -- the discussion would only degenerate to "if only you had." I'm making the point about strategic decisions, not which brands.

J&R Landscaping
05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Roger brings up a very good point!

1MajorTom
05-11-2006, 07:34 PM
I have had a 36" w/b for nine seasons. I use it with a sulky for larger, more open jobs. About 10 days ago, I bought a 48" ZTR. The productivity for the ZTR is about the same as the 36" w/b, some jobs a bit faster, other jobs a bit slower.

My properties are 0.5 to 2.0 acres. Most are about 25K sq ft of mowing. I work solo and allocate about 1:15-1:25 per each job (on the job site), mowing about 40 per week. I can use the ZTR on about half the properties. The other properties I don't even consider using the ZTR because of terrain, gates, etc.

Why isn't the ZTR more productive? Some areas have slopes the ZTR will not handle, the w/b can handle. Even some have low branches, ZTR cannot passs under, the w/b can. Many are rough, and the speed advantage of the ZTR is wiped out (too rough to ride, but standing on the sulky works better).

My point: Take a close look at your requirements. Maybe a ZTR isn't the answer for your needs. The common assumption on LS is faster, more productive. This is not necessarily so.

I have, by purpose, avoided branding -- the discussion would only degenerate to "if only you had." I'm making the point about strategic decisions, not which brands.

Roger,
Do you regret buying the 48" ztr? Or would you have rather bought a 52" or 60" hydro walkbehind considering your terrain?