PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Dodge 6-cylinder turbo disel ?

Az Gardener
05-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Considering one of these truck to pull my 16 X 8 enclosed trailer and trimming debris (very light 30% grass clippings and brush) in bed of truck. Anyone running one of these maybe 2001-03?

Lawn Masters
05-08-2006, 07:32 PM
generally, I've NEVER heard anything bad about the Cummins in those trucks.

They're powerful pulling motors, probably not much they wont pull.

BSDeality
05-08-2006, 08:07 PM
It will pull it just fine, cummins are huge powerplants, the problem is the dodge auto transmissions. I would get a manual or find one thats already been rebuild/beefed up.

ECS
05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I have the 2000 Dodge Diesel and pulls anything you hook up to. I put my cabover camper on (1300 pounds empty, over 2000 pounds loaded), hook up my horse trailer at 3000 pounds and load two horses in for another 2000 pounds, total of more than 7000 pounds, and goes like a champ.

Az Gardener
05-08-2006, 09:31 PM
I have the 2000 Dodge Diesel and pulls anything you hook up to. I put my cabover camper on (1300 pounds empty, over 2000 pounds loaded), hook up my horse trailer at 3000 pounds and load two horses in for another 2000 pounds, total of more than 7000 pounds, and goes like a champ.

Wow, thats the 6-cylinder? What about the transmission issues lited above?

lwcmattlifter
05-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I have a 01 5 speed with 3.55 gears. I haven't pulled much with it, 7,500 maybe 8,000 lbs. This truck pulls as good as or better than my others. I really like the Cummins-NV trans combination. The auto trans in an 01-03 Dodge is just as good as Ford or GM year for year. Just like Ford and GM it's most likely going to need refreshing after 100-130k. A dodge auto trans can be built to take a lot of abuse with the right parts.

The only thing that really goes wrong with the Cummins is the lift and injection pumps on the 24V engines. Normally the lift pump loses pressure and causes the injection pump to prematurely fail. If you don't have any history on the truck, you can check the fuel pressure with any gauge that has a schrader valve on it. Pressure should be about 14 psi cruising and 9 at WOT.

oldrustycars
05-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Wow, thats the 6-cylinder? What about the transmission issues lited above?
darn near any semi has a 6 cylinder...over 600HP is common now. i love the cummins engines in dodges, the rest of the truck..not so much. while a ford or gm will handle overloading, the dodge takes just what they say and not a pound more. and at least in the late 90's, the brakes were awful. one place i worked at the salemen all had ford or dodge duallys. dodges got about 10,000 miles on the brakes, and the rotors were always junk. the fords doing the exact same work got 25-30 thou, and the rotors almost always were good for one cut. and chrysler cannot get an automatic trans right...from a minivan up to one tons, all junk in my opinion.

lawnmaniac883
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Well, try before you buy and you should be rather impressed. I would recommend getting a late 03 early 04 or 04.5 model. These are equipped with the 48re trans and it has been very good at stock power levels, that is if you want auto. If you want a manual, find one with the NV5600 in it. This trans is a complete behemoth that will take all kinds of abuse.. As for the brakes....dodge is leading the pack on that topic. My cummins has been great thus far and will be plenty for what you want to tow. Better mileage than any strokers I know as well.

Dirty Water
05-09-2006, 12:53 AM
AZ Gardner: Just because it has 6 cylinders doesn't mean it has a tiny displacement. Each of the cummins 6 cylinders are HUGE.

cet
05-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I have a 2000, 3500 dually. Engine and transmission have been great. The front end is a little weak but I do plow with it. I pull a triaxle trailer with a 8500lb skid steer with no problem but not tons of power up hills. I have 130,000 miles.

Gravel Rat
05-09-2006, 01:13 AM
The 5.9 Cummins is a small engine you strip that sucker down to bare block its puny.

The newwer Cummins are no where near like the old engines the new ones have the electronic crap but one thing they are much more quieter than the old 12 and 24 valves. You are not going to get the big mpg numbers like the older Dodge trucks hey what do you expect you have gone from 160hp-400ftlbs to 325hp-600ftlbs.

Would I buy a Dodge nope I don't think Dodge trucks are that good if it wasn't for Cummins you wouldn't see a Dodge truck on the road.

As for transmission any juicer is junk the Allison used in the Chevs has problems the Torqshift in Fords has problems. Nothing is more reliable than a manual transmission. With these newer trucks having so much jam its not like your shifting much.

WalkerMike98
05-09-2006, 01:21 AM
02 6sp 2500. This thing is a hoss. Motor probably good for at least half a million and will out pull anything comparable on the market if its stock.

ECS
05-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Wow, thats the 6-cylinder? What about the transmission issues lited above? Never had a problem. Have 59000 miles on it, have been pulling horses since 2000, and camper & horses since 2001. This is my second year pulling my lawn trailer and have two years of plowing on it. It is an automatic also. I hit 55000 on my brakes and had the rotors cut. Everything on my truck is still original. I did add a set of air bags on the back for my camper though because I used to put it on in May and take it off in November.

wriken
05-09-2006, 07:25 AM
From experience on a recent trip. my brother has a 05 f-350 dually/12000# 5th wheeler, and I have a 05 dodge 3500 dually/11800# 5th wheeler. I had to let off the cruise, or else I would have rammed the rear of his trailer on the hills. Deep down I'm a ford man, have a couple fords, but for the 05 I would say the dodge has the power. Mine is the 610 torque, with auto trans.:)

nmurph
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM
my brother has a 97 with 220k mi many of those were pulling 32-34ft trailers loaded with 650-800 bales of pinestraw. gvw of 30k lbs+ on scales. it would be safe to say that at least 25%+ of the 220k mi have been with a trailer.
the motor has never been touched other than having another fuel pump installed.
the transmission is another story. he has had the 5th gear nut problem several times. he has had the repair from dallas and had better luck, though he had at least one more occurence. they repaired it under warranty. loaded with 20k lbs of straw it would still return 9 mpg on trips from s. ga to atlanta/sc/nc. he loves the truck. it just keeps on going and going.............

this was a post of mine from several months ago. i drove the truck this weekend, i now has 251k. still going..................

janb
05-09-2006, 02:08 PM
97 and 98 were 'preferred' yrs for free power ungrades (best Injection pump)

go to dieseltruckresource 'dot' com for good truck discussions
or nwbombers

but if you can justify newer, and don't mind a computer controlled engine, get a 6spd. (it is an improvement over 5 spd (which looses 5th..., and auto...) You can upgrade auto and Torque C for $1500, and have a very robust machine. Dodge could use some 'wiring' help, but if you add a relay for headlights, (reduce power load thru system) life is easier (and brighter)

I have 150k very hard miles on my CTD '93 1t 4x4 w/auto, Cab and Chassis (longer WB) It frequently pulls 28k GCVW up steep mountains :weightlifter: bone stock (not that it is smart...)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/jboldt/CTD_dozer_27800_c1.jpg

lawnmaniac883
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
As for the cummins being a 6 cylinder and saying that is small; 6 cylinders use 5.9liters vs a powerstrokes 8 cylinders using 6liters...

S3Scooter
05-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Well, try before you buy and you should be rather impressed. I would recommend getting a late 03 early 04 or 04.5 model. These are equipped with the 48re trans and it has been very good at stock power levels, that is if you want auto. If you want a manual, find one with the NV5600 in it. This trans is a complete behemoth that will take all kinds of abuse.. As for the brakes....dodge is leading the pack on that topic. My cummins has been great thus far and will be plenty for what you want to tow. Better mileage than any strokers I know as well.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Mine is a 2003, 2500 Quad Cab, 4x4 with the 8' bed. With slight air-flow mods, and a Mag-Hytech Double Deep Trany. pan on the 48RE. You would have to pry it from my cold dead fingers. It's hands down the best truck I have ever owned. Most people get buyers remorse after buying something this expensive, not me:D I pay that note every month with a smile. The more weight I put on it the better it runs. As far as long lasting durability, My brother finally sold his 1995 cummins with just over a MILLION MILES ON IT:weightlifter: Anybody out their with a similar Ford or Chevy story? Check out http://www.turbodieselregister.com Check out the readers rigs section, and you'll find its not uncommon for a Cummins to just keep going, and going, and going.......... Not to mention that the truck holding the land speed record for fastest pick up truck is banks enginerings Dodge Dakota outfited with a 5.9 ltr. H.O. Cummins Turbo Diesel.

It sounds like you will be doing the same thing as I do with it. I also have sides I add to it, and have hauled as much as 4yds of mulch, while towing my trailer with another 4 yds. in it.

S3
TDR Member

sildoc
05-10-2006, 12:33 AM
Dodge Redid the auto trans for 04 to keep up with the torque that the Cummins puts out. I have one 04 with 98000 on it and a buddy of mine has a 04 with 300000 plus and pulls a 28k trailer every day. He has changed oil, tires and brakes so far and has no fear. He also has the edge chip in his. He states getting up to 16 mpg pulling the trailer but usualy averages right around 14 on freeway. That is pulling trailer so figure above 20 unloaded. I love my dodge. I do admit they have the most god awfull interior but for 4-8 grand less I can deal with it. I just put on new brakes and pull my 3-5k trailer around almost every day.

Lucky1
05-10-2006, 05:18 PM
One of the trucks we traded-in a few years ago had 250,000 miles on it. That truck was a 93 chevy diesel, never in the shop for anything other than 6000 mile oil changes and lubes. Towed a kubota L-35 around quite a bit. We now have ford diesels with just a few early computer ajustments. Dodge trucks are better than given credit for, you sure see a lot of them.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I hope to buy a 2500 Ram with the Cummins this fall.......can't wait......

D

FearThisDeere
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
^^^ Same here... used of course, but still can't wait. I have to find me some more work first. I am going to be commuting about 70 miles roundtrip a day to college starting this winter, so about 450-470 total a week. The MPG of a Cummins diesel with the added reliability and more power than I could ever use makes it a no brainer. Sure beats the 8-10 MPG I get in my old Ram and the 14-15 I get in the Chevy 1500!

janb
05-11-2006, 04:00 AM
^^^ Same here... used of course, but still can't wait. I have to find me some more work first. I am going to be commuting about 70 miles roundtrip a day to college starting this winter, so about 450-470 total a week. Keep your eyes open for a '96-97 VW Passat TDI ! I drive mine to college and it gets 52mpg consistantly, down to 49 in cold of winter. Tonight it was showing 646 miles, and slightly below 1/2 tank :weightlifter: I topped it off, and it's still above full at 150miles, by the time I got home.:dancing: (my CTD won't do that :nono: )

We put the kids in A2 VW diesel Jetta's ($500 each) and they got 46-50, driving 130miles/ day to HS / Jr College. The brakes, tires and insurance are pretty cheap compared to trucks (I get my tires at a wrecking yard for $5, and have a tire machine, since I have over 20 vehicles) The Cummins gets as few miles as possible at the moment,

FearThisDeere
05-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Yeah, but a Passat won't pull the trailers!:usflag: I have been tossing around the idea of getting a car and keeping the trucks I have or just tossing everything into one big mean truck. My only problem is my driveway to m house is 1/2 a mile long. They are builing a house behine mine with a driveway of 3/4 of a mile. Needless to say, there is mud everywhere until atleast next summer (and probably forever). Now, I am not complaining as I have the best mudding trail in my front yard, but I don't know if a car would be able to do it. At any rate, thanks for the advice!:drinkup:

anteater6788
05-13-2006, 03:10 PM
A little over a year ago I bought a '99 2500 4x4 24v Cummins with an automatic and 3:55 gears and I think it's the first Dodge to be in the family in several generations. My main complaint is my mileage isn't what I was hoping for, I've been averaging 12-13 mph over the past several tanks but that is farm use with a trailer behind it alot of the time. When I'm pulling something it's usually over 10,000lbs and sometimes close to twice that much. Up until I think '01 Dodge only offered the 3:55 or 4:10 gear ratio and after that they offered the 3:73 which would be a better compromise between lots of pulling power and better mpg when cruising empty. When the tranny goes bad on my truck I'm planning on getting a rebuilt one from Goerend Brothers transmission ( www.gbtransmission.com ), for less than $3,000 you can get a rebuilt 47RE transmission rated for over 400hp with a 100,000 mile warranty. In my opinion Dodge did cut a few corners on these trucks trying to save money, like the wiring that's been mentioned but if they would have spent another $1,000 on each truck to upgrade a handful of items they could have had the best truck on the market, as they are they are not what I would consider to be sub-par.

ProMo
05-13-2006, 03:16 PM
The dashboard cracks on a lot of 01 trucks. Mine cracked at 37k miles and dodge says o-well. Its almolst completely caved in.

FrankenScagMachines
05-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Wow some of you guys barely work your trucks...
Mine is more of a toy than a daily grunt horse. My mowing rig could be pulled with a Dakota V6 easily enough. Occasionally I pull a old 4x4 on a 18' tandem behind the Cummins, it loves it wishes it could do it more often, and I would say that is towing about 8k lbs to do that. Mine's a 94 12 valve P7100 pump (the good one) stock turbo, all of the free/cheap mods a person can do that I know and have heard of, block wastegate (39# boost stock turbo yippee hang on!), pump mods, governor spring mods, some other little things, yes its an Automatic, has been beefed up some going to get a new super duty torque converter this season I hope, that will really get things going! Also I straight piped it and added twin 5" chrome miter cut stacks, helps it breathe much better.. She'll blow alot of smoke if you make her, enough to black out "brights" headlights of a following vehicle from 1 car length to almost a block away!!! hahaha....

Mine has 207,000 miles on it and the motor thinks its just broke in. The tranny is ok but its been rebuilt a few times, but with all that power in front of it, what wouldn't need rebuild? The last time around, it had some heavier components put in it and a kevlar lined single disc RV duty torque converter, that is going to get replaced with an triple or five disc super heavy duty racing converter ASAP... I've got the 3.55 gears in it and really like these gears for anything they are a good combo. If it were never going to tow anything I would take more like 3.08 gears for a little extra mileage and you'd still get the same or more power to the ground (due to Cummins' torque being lower in the RPM range)..

I often will load it down with mulch, stone or soil, whatever suits my fancy and it hauls it fine. Not too long ago I was helping a friend with a retaining wall, using his 7x12' tandem axle dump trailer (very heavy trailer) I hauled 6 tons of topsoil in that trailer. My truck is a regular cab 2wd so its right on 6k lbs by itself (without toolbox etc) so it tipped the scales at 22,200# thats alot of weight for a 3/4 ton 2wd reg cab truck... the tranny didn't run any hotter than it normally does towing a much lighter load. I went easier on it of course but it towed it fine. Had to go up some real steep hills with tight curves so I had to go slow, had it lugging that load right up and down the hills giggling all the way, first time the truck has really worked since I got it over a year ago... The motor was laughing at me, it had no clue what was behind it really to be honest...
So lets do the math, that was towing about 16k lbs... not too shabby. A friend of mine is a concrete construction contractor he has a 16' gooseneck hitch dump trailer he pulls with a '01 3500 quad cab 4x4 Dually Cummins automatic with 3.55 gears. He has 240k miles on his and has had a few tranny rebuilds, the motor is turned up, the last rebuild he had on the tranny his old one was so bad from all the heavy towing that they had to put in a whole new tranny beefed up alot, with the heavy torque converter, said his fuel mileage while towing actually increased due to less slippage in the tranny... he gets about 3 mpg better towing highway now! wow... anyway, its very common for his rig to gross 30k lbs truck and trailer and load... he also has a couple of 16-20' tandem equipment trailers. The only time I see this truck empty is going to church on Sundays, and even then theres over 1 ton of tools in the bed... he keeps his truck meticulous, very clean truck for the miles and the workload, he said he normally will trade in trucks every 4 or 5 years, but this time he's going to keep it till it wears out just to see how long it will last... he expects at least 400,000 out of it if not 500k... He's had Cummins' before so he's no stranger to their reliability and power, this one he bought new..

Every Cummins story I know goes the exact same way... I have another friend who is a big Chevy guy but is also a big Cummins guy... The result? Cummins Powered Chevy's! his personal truck is a '87 Chevy 4x4 with a Cummins and Dodge 5 speed NV4500 tranny, 4" lift, 33" Courser MT tires, 3.08 gears that truck is a real hotrod, he races mustangs for fun! its the only diesel truck i've been in that i'm scared to ride in, he got it sideways on dry blacktop at 40 mph! yowza!!! it was fun though! My truck actually has beat him, once! That one gets 20 mpg driving to work. lol... also he put a Cummins into a late 90's Suburban 4x4 for his wife to drive, with a Dodge a/t beefed up and 3.23 gears. She loves it. They took it to New York got up there on one tank, 21 mpg including sleeping and leaving it idle for 2 hrs straight... they travel all over the US in that Suburban... His dad has a 96 Ram 2500 Club Cab long bed 5 spd 4x4 Cummins with 300k miles on it, they take it all over the country regularly pulling trailers half the time, and its in great shape, very reliable...

I could go on and on.... of course my town is the Cummins world headquarters and the 6 cylinder Dodge pickup engines are built here, my dad works at that plant. Needless to say theres alot of Cummins spirit in this town (ok they almost own the town lol) ......

Oh and i happen to like Dodge trucks quite a bit. The exteriors have always been good looking (in my opinion) and the interiors look more modern and more refreshed and comfortable.. I still don't like any of the Chevy interiors although some of their exteriors aren't bad looking. The Ford SuperDuty Lariat's with leather I like, but I guess to each his own.. I'm pretty fond of the old 70's Dodge PowerWagon trucks too for various reasons that has nothing to do with Cummins, but I guess i'm sayin, even if you don't think the Dodge has the best looking truck, give it a shot they aren't junk... and consider how much more power they have to handle than the Ford and Chevy's, have to put it into perspective before you appreciate the durability of them. Beleive me when I first got my Cummins I laughed at and even told Dodge jokes and joked about their transmissions... but mine has taken a lot of abuse and i've come to love the truck and the motor that makes it go... Mine's taken more abuse than I thought it would and the motors go forever... if the truck ever finally dies I will swap the motor into an old PowerWagon and keep truckin!

FrankenScagMachines
05-13-2006, 03:46 PM
holy cow that was a long reply sorry :dizzy:

J. Bret Holder
05-13-2006, 09:23 PM
I owned a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins. Excellent engine indeed! It is a proven workhorse. I sold the truck back in 2001. The fellow that purchased it from me still drives it daily. The engine has over 300,000 miles. Regular scheduled maintenance is all that was needed. As for the truck's frame chassis brakes etc. - that's a different story.

Hell, even Ford offers the Cummins Diesel engine as an option in some of its Commercial Duty trucks.

Currently, I have a 2005 Ford F-250 4x Laramie with the International PowerStroke Diesel. This truck has also been a winner. So far, 18,000 trouble-free miles.

The only reason that I did not go with a Dodge again was because the wait time. At the time that I was looking to purchase another Dodge, I would have had to wait 2 1/2 months. Personally, I am not a true GM fan. Ford and Dodge seem to take the cake hands-down. (Raw Power, Raw Torque, Reliability, etc.) Another thing that turned me away from GMC/Chev. 2500 HD trucks was that the engine is quite small in that large engine compartment. In this case, size does matter to me. GM is getting there, but they need to get some balls under the hood. That Allison is a great tranny - just needs an engine like the Power Stroke or Cummins to match.

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-14-2006, 12:01 AM
well I think I will be picking up my 05 2500 Ram CTD on Monday......they dropped the price...and called me......

FrankenScagMachines
05-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Ok guys another one for ya. Tonight I was out runnin around and saw a truck for sale, a 97 Ram 3500 reg cab long bed dually 2wd Cummins 5 speed manual, 518,000 miles on her truck didn't look too bad inside or out, had been a work truck but not abused. Odd thing was it was a Laramie SLT had cruise and a/c but vinyl seats and vinyl floor... Never saw a Laramie with vinyl seats before... Anyway, it said it had a new turbo and new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and fresh tuneup from a local well known diesel mechanic (many travel far and wide to get to this guy, he was supposedly one of the guys that designed this engine) anyway, they were askin 5300 for it, with the 518k miles on it... and i have little doubt it will fetch at least 4500...

LawnGuy73
05-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Mine has done pretty well for me, no major complaints yet.

Grassmechanic
05-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Never saw a Laramie with vinyl seats before...
My '97 Laramie has vinyl seats. First time I saw them, too. Musta been a special order thing.:waving:

kintaro
05-14-2006, 03:55 PM
well i got the 2005 dodge ram 3500 cummings turbo diesel /dualie i must say this truck is just amazing .im pulling a 24ft. trailer weighing about 9000 lbs and it pulls great.

rklawnmowing
05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a 01 5 speed with 3.55 gears. I haven't pulled much with it, 7,500 maybe 8,000 lbs. This truck pulls as good as or better than my others. I really like the Cummins-NV trans combination. The auto trans in an 01-03 Dodge is just as good as Ford or GM year for year. Just like Ford and GM it's most likely going to need refreshing after 100-130k. A dodge auto trans can be built to take a lot of abuse with the right parts.

a refreshing after 100-130k not with a cummins, maybe a ford or gm diesel, my dad has a 95 ram 2500 ext. cab 8ft bed with a 5spd mated to the 5.9 turbo diesel, and he's got 176,000 miles on his truck on the original motor. never rebuilt, so maybe after 250,000 it might need a rebuild deff. not 100k, or 130k.

if your looking for a good diesel truck go with a 94-98.5 12v dodge ram 2500/3500 best trucks for work or play. :clapping:

lwcmattlifter
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
a refreshing after 100-130k not with a cummins, maybe a ford or gm diesel, my dad has a 95 ram 2500 ext. cab 8ft bed with a 5spd mated to the 5.9 turbo diesel, and he's got 176,000 miles on his truck on the original motor. never rebuilt, so maybe after 250,000 it might need a rebuild deff. not 100k, or 130k.

if your looking for a good diesel truck go with a 94-98.5 12v dodge ram 2500/3500 best trucks for work or play. :clapping:

I'm talking about the auto trans not the engine.

rklawnmowing
05-15-2006, 03:09 PM
oh then you would exactly right then, those things are not good quality, and if you add any kinda power to them they break super easy thats why if you want to run an auto dodge you have to get an aftermarket transmission which is about 3-5k and then your set for life