PDA

View Full Version : Hydroseeding HELP

Dig-it Landscaping
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I need some advise on hydroseeding. I always have done lawns with sod or seeded with encap mulch cover. I have never run a hydroseeder before. I have a developer that I work with that wants an entire development seeded it measured out to 690,000 square feet. I figured what to charge for the materials, and bobcat work. I am renting a 600 gallon hydroseeder (can spray all 600 gal in 8 Min. they claim) and need an idea of how many man hours it should take to complete this job. The area is very flat and i have easy road access to the entire area and the water source is only a few hundred yards away. I will rent a high capacity water pump to load the seeder with. Any advise from someone that has done this before and has an idea of how long it takes per acre or any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Mike33
05-08-2006, 08:01 PM
I started hydro seeding last year bought a turf maker 550 ( 500 gal.. ) and i carry a 5oo gal tank on my trailer giving me 1000 cap. First of all i usually charge .06 cente a sq. foot. If i was there in your case 5 cents would work real good. My machine is a mechanical i use 70-30 wood blend mulch. With a 500 gal. load i get around 4-4200 sq' to a tank. Im guessing it takes me around 20 minutes or so to apply a tank. It depends on what you are cutting in around, sidewalk, house,etc. and how dry your soil is. I include the seed, lime, fertlizer, growth stimulant, mulch, and tac for this. The key to seeding is how long it will take you to refill. It only takes around 15 minutes to mix a load but traveling to the water site is the main factor. Last week i seeded a yard 17,000 sq' in 4 hours and i drove 2 miles to a fire hydrant where i can buy my water from the county. If you never hydro-seeded before i would do my home work first iits a new ball game of neat products out there. If i was getting a job like this i would buy a machine . I have only 15k invested in my complete system: turfmaker seeder, aux. water tank i pump out of, 12000 gvw trailer, honda port. pump, and tool box. Please visit my web site www.bobcatservice33.com Thats over 16 acres i would not rent. If you could profit 3 cents a sq' foot you could buy my system and still have close $6,000.00 in your pocket
Mike

muddstopper
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
690000 sqft is almost 15 acres. With a 600 gal machine it will take right at 7 loads to the acre or 105 loads. With a good water source you can mix and spray a load every 30 minutes, depending on the machine and materials used. 105/2=52.5 hrs. If you choose to blow straw, you can probably do an acre with 3 tank loads for a total of 52 loads and about 27 hrs of actual spray time. Depending on the blower ( the type normally found at rental centers are small and slow)and amount of straw used, figure at least one hr per acre for blowing of the straw. If you are used to blowing straw and you have a good blower, you might beat that time a little. If you have to tack the straw, and you should, you need to figure about 25 more loads thru the hydroseeder and another 12-15 hrs of time. Total time using hydromuch, 52.5 hrs. Using straw, 27hr+15 hrs+15hrs=57 hrs. these times will vary according to skill of operators, machine type, and size of blower. the bigg guys with larger machines and blowers could knock it all out in 1-1.5 days