PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance: fluids/filters/grease What do you use?

TXTom
05-08-2006, 09:01 PM
I only have once piece of equipment my Bobcat S185. I normally don't use the manufacturer's fluids and filters. I am sure that those of you with multiple machines from different mfgs use the same maintenance items for all of your equipment. What are you using to maintain your equip? Fluids/Filters/Lube

Thanks,
Tom

start2finish
05-08-2006, 09:04 PM
with bobcat we use shell engine oil, bobcat hydraulic oil, and napa gold filters

with our kubota equipment, shell engine oil and citgo(approved specs) hydraulic oil, with napa gold filters

we use john deere high temp polymer grease on all applications

2004F550
05-08-2006, 10:57 PM
mobil oils, Cat filters for Cat, Deere for Deere....napa for the pickups and support equipment

Scag48
05-08-2006, 11:16 PM
We use Cat fluids (hydraulic, engine oil, etc.) and Cat filters. It does cost a little more, but when oil change intervals are 500 hours for engine oil and hydraulic fluid changes are 2,000 hours, it really doesn't cost that much more to run what the manufacturer recommends. We do, however, run a high lithium based Shell grease, I think it's called Retinax or something like that.

For the trucks, we use Napa for filters, belts, etc. We have a good relationship with our local Napa dealer and the guys there are excellent when it comes to keeping our trucks on the road.

Gravel Rat
05-08-2006, 11:44 PM
Most contractors use Delo 400, Shell Rotella or Esso Lube engine oils mainly 15w-40 it gets used in everything from the company pickup trucks to the excavators engine oil is bought in 5 gallon pails.

As for hydraulic oil is usually a brand made by Kleen Flo that is the proper weight of oil. Contractors will buy the oil when its on sale and buy 5- five imperal gallon pails.

For grease its Cheveron the stuff is red in color and very good its all what the gravel mines use too. Its bought by the case I forget how many tubes in a case but usually a case will last 3 weeks greasing 3 trucks and 4 machines.

Oil filters on the machines can range from Wix to factory brand filters. If they are factory brand filters the contractor buys them in a case of 10 or 20 filters.

Also kept at the shop is a good supply of 4 litre jugs of antifreeze because you run gravel trucks they seem to make antifreeze disapear from minor leaks etc.

The last thing is to have a place you can take used oil too some company that recycles it. We have parts store that run used oil furnaces they have a special forced air furnace that burns used oil instead of stove oil or natural gas. In the winter time most of these guys can take 50 gallons of oil and they have a storage tank aswell. I used to haul 100 US gallons of oil to these places.

tylermckee
05-09-2006, 03:03 AM
texaco oil, hyd, and grease, we pick it up from the local distrubuter, same place we get our fuel.

tnmtn
05-09-2006, 10:04 AM
shell rotella oil, bobcat grease, hydraulic and filters

ksss
05-10-2006, 12:44 AM
I run Amsoil 15-40 and filters in the vehicles (engines, diffs, transmissions) and CASE filters and oil in the earth moving equipment.

beyondupnorth
05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
The bobcats get 10/30 either shell rotella t or texaco. Use mainly Baldwin filters on all equipment. Ocasionally I get the the bobcat filters, just because I was closer to them then the baldwin dealer that day. Use Texas refinerys grease, Extemely heavy, and sticky, its a great product.
Ken

oldrustycars
05-12-2006, 12:56 AM
i used only the manufacturers filters whil under warranty, just so they can say they wont honor a claim because of that. after that, i used baldwin or wix (napa and wix are the same). they had the best interchange, didnt like having 20 catalogs laying around to look up a filter. shell rotella in all diesel engines, usually citgo oil in gassers, also citgo lithium grease. Hydrotex grease in all wheel bearings, and any grease points subjected to being submerged in water.