PDA

View Full Version : just some personal work

Kumi
05-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Eh..it's not much but i thought i'd post some of my recent work at my (Parent's) house. My mom and i just picked up the rose bush today and i planted it for her and mulched around it. The tree and other bush were obviously already there. I just mulched around those to make trimming easier and to make our lawn look better.

My mom bought more flowers but i can't plant them tonight because it's too dark now to see. I'll post more better photos tommorow along with one of my whole yard. it's not much now but i may can convince her to let me put in a nice new cement driveway for her then that'll really make things look better (Along with some weed killer)

For now i'm really pleased with the improvement to our lawn :clapping:

dcondon
05-08-2006, 11:35 PM
nice looking job, just be vary careful about trimming!!!!!! You should have put some edging around it outside of the mulch JMO:waving:

Kumi
05-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Are you talking about the rose bush? I feel sure i can trim around it without doing damage except for between it and the house. For that i'll just use some scissors since it's a small spot. I've never had any customers who wanted mulch so this is my first time mulching. Thanks for the compliment.

grassmanak
05-09-2006, 01:50 PM
You need to work on your mulching a bit, you dont want to build the mulch up around tree's and bushes and such. It causes rotting to them. Try to also have some sort of edge on the mulch as well. Either a natural edge, or a plastic strip or something, makes mowing and such a lot easier.

Kumi
05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
I'll work on that. Like i mentioned this is my first time doing mulch so i'm not incredibly good at it. Here's some more better pictures after i added stuff today. We still have to go out tommorow and pick up at least a few more bags of mulch and a couple more flowers. No clue what we'll add next.

Kumi
05-09-2006, 09:15 PM
More photos

Kumi
05-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Last Ones.

MMLawn
05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Bless your heart......................

phototropic1
05-09-2006, 09:50 PM
You need to work on your mulching a bit, you dont want to build the mulch up around tree's and bushes and such. It causes rotting to them. Try to also have some sort of edge on the mulch as well. Either a natural edge, or a plastic strip or something, makes mowing and such a lot easier.

Let me clarify. I think this is what GRASSMANAK was getting at. You don't want mulch piled against the trunk of any plants (although it can be 1/4 inch or so deep where it contacts the plant) If you pile mulch against the trunk, too much moisture can lead to rotting of the trunk and a host of other problems that can lead to death. I like to spread mulch so that it is .25 to .5 inches deep at the plant and then gradually get deeper and deeper until about 2.5 to 3 inches around the dripline of the plant (ends of the branches) And I don't typically use bed edging. I don't care for it in most situations.
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with this. Good luck to you!!!:drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

And I like your thinking, by the way. Trying to keep trimmers off of the plants and trees by using mulch. Very good! When you mulch around several plants, try to aim for a defined bed edge with the mulch. This will really make your plantings pop visually.

zim bob the landscaper
05-09-2006, 09:59 PM
im not a big fan of that mulch it looks like playground mulch. hope it wasn't cheap mulch because the hurricane they brought mulch from there.

Kumi
05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
My mom wanted some red mulch but failed to mention it until after we picked up and put out this mulch. I'm not sure where it came from but it was $6 for 3 bags of it. And as for the refined bed edge,i'm working on that. I didn't get the edge perfect yet because i have to put in some more flowers so i'll wait until those are in.

We're strongly considering some of the paver in front of our porch to create a visual boundary and spruce things up there. What do you guys think? We were planning to put them 2 pavers high and run them along the front of the house where we put in the flowers.

ALarsh
05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Petr51488
05-09-2006, 11:53 PM

lololololol

cwlawley
05-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Try to round the edges and make them about 2-3". Dig small trenches aroundthe perimeter to help run off. As the mulch gets closer to the tree divet in to about 1/2" so it helps prevent root rot.

Keep practicing, you'll get it. Try some darker mulch next time too.

zim bob the landscaper
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
My mom wanted some red mulch but failed to mention it until after we picked up and put out this mulch. I'm not sure where it came from but it was $6 for 3 bags of it. And as for the refined bed edge,i'm working on that. I didn't get the edge perfect yet because i have to put in some more flowers so i'll wait until those are in.

We're strongly considering some of the paver in front of our porch to create a visual boundary and spruce things up there. What do you guys think? We were planning to put them 2 pavers high and run them along the front of the house where we put in the flowers.
o well its in bags then your good.

zim bob the landscaper
05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
wait i mean that your not good because they are in the bags. but im not sure if that is the mulch from down south.

Kumi
05-11-2006, 02:29 PM
So just because i used bagged mulch i'm not a good landscaper?

auhanson
05-11-2006, 03:12 PM
wait i mean that your not good because they are in the bags. but im not sure if that is the mulch from down south.

If your thinking about the rumors regarding the formosa termite pandemic in mulch........there never was any validity to that.

Chris Wagner
05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
A little sloppy. I can see pieces of mulch in the grass. A nice trench would help contain that. Also, for the mulch work against a wall or building, there's really no sense in having grass there and part of a bed... like the roses. Just make a bed the whole length.

sheshovel
05-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Agreed!Get the mulch AWAY from the base of those plants and trees!

sheshovel
05-11-2006, 05:05 PM

No I would say you are NOT a Landscaper at ALL!

zim bob the landscaper
05-11-2006, 07:08 PM
no i never said that i meant that the mulch came from down south and from trees from the hurricane.

zim bob the landscaper
05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
come on give him a break she. he is learning.

rustyb265
05-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, everyone needs to give this kid a break. He is trying to learn. Lets all give him our advice and help him out! You have to start somewhere!

phototropic1
05-19-2006, 09:06 AM

Oh come on Sheshovel, he's just starting out. And he's looking for honest advice. He's obviously wanting to learn. Let's help him!

Yeah, everyone needs to give this kid a break. He is trying to learn. Lets all give him our advice and help him out! You have to start somewhere!

Thanks Rustyb265. My sentiments exactly.

Kumi, keep at it.

Landscapes-r-us
05-21-2006, 05:12 PM

For real.. Like we talk about in flying, a good pilot is always learning, well a good landscaper is always learning..