PDA

View Full Version : Gravely , mulch kit ?

nekos
05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
has any one else had problem's with the gravely mulch kit ?
i just got the mulch kit put on my 1334 pro and it's leaving clump's and a trail on the right side.

im not 100% but it seems like the grass is clogging up in the front right corner of the deck between the baffles.

any help would be appreciated. thx :)

cwlawley
05-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Has the grass been wet up there? It could be too early to use mulch kits. We can't use them well in NC until after Spring rain.

Mowingman
05-09-2006, 10:43 AM
You are talking about the mulch kit, not just the discharge cover plate, right?
Are you using the special mulch blades that came with the kit? It could just be too wet to mulch right now.

hackitdown
05-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I bought it for my 48" WB, and took it off after one day.

The discharge extender left a line of clippings on every pass. The double blade seemed to stress the machine...it nearly stalled when I engaged the blades.

Mowingman
05-09-2006, 12:56 PM
The double blade kit is not for use with the mulch kit. They are 2 different things. Do not use the double blades with the mulch kit. Just use the mulch blades that come with the kit.

nekos
05-09-2006, 02:04 PM
You are talking about the mulch kit, not just the discharge cover plate, right?
Are you using the special mulch blades that came with the kit? It could just be too wet to mulch right now.

ya it is the mulch kit and the blades that came with it ...
i was at my dealer today and we figured out the problem, it was like i thought. the grass is getting clumped up between the baffles and front right corner of the deck. it leaves a thick line of grass clipping's along the right edge of the deck with the occasional baseball sized clump of grass.

also the only 2 lawn's it has been used on so far were cut 3 day's earlier.
the lawn's were not wet at all nor were the clumps of grass. it's just horrid design on gravely's part and im pissed i had to waste $120+ on something that will be in the garbage as soon as it is removed.

any way the kit will be removed tomorrow unless i can figure something out...
that is very doubtful though.

< NOTE:> the mulch kit is about the only bad thing i have to say about this mower ! every thing else has far exceeded my expectations !

Mowingman
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
We are not seeing those problems with the mulch kit here. however, we are mowing St. Augustine and Bermuda grass. Kit seems to work fine on those grasses here. The clumping part, sounds like the grass is pretty wet when it is being mowed. I am not sure why you are getting the trail of grass along the side. Maybe your dealer can call the engineering folks at Gravely and see what they have to say.

nekos
05-09-2006, 04:46 PM
We are not seeing those problems with the mulch kit here. however, we are mowing St. Augustine and Bermuda grass. Kit seems to work fine on those grasses here. The clumping part, sounds like the grass is pretty wet when it is being mowed. I am not sure why you are getting the trail of grass along the side. Maybe your dealer can call the engineering folks at Gravely and see what they have to say.

sounds like a good idea , thx for the advise :)
for now the mulch kit needs to be removed. i don't have time to double cut lawns just to pick up the grass clipping's.

anyway i attatched a pic of the deck and pointed out the area where the grass is clogging up .
the entire area in that corner fills up with grass.

PicturePerfectLawns
06-17-2014, 12:17 AM
sounds like a good idea , thx for the advise :)
for now the mulch kit needs to be removed. i don't have time to double cut lawns just to pick up the grass clipping's.

anyway i attatched a pic of the deck and pointed out the area where the grass is clogging up .
the entire area in that corner fills up with grass.

Any update on this? Just wondering if you figured it out. Seen your issue was last month? I just installed the mulch kit on my Gravely. My first day, I cut some native grass that was over-grown (got skipped the week before.) It left a few clumps here and there, nothing terrible. I used it a little more and it's mulching St. Augustine and Bermuda pretty good, however I do have blow out really bad on the concrete and street. My mulching blades should be in tomorrow (ordered several pair of wavy blades) and I'm hoping the cut will be even better and the blow-out will be minimized. I'll keep updated. Would like to hear if you found anything out. No offense, but did you install the mulch kit correctly? Mine was a pain in the butt to install. In fact, I had it all lined up on the holes, installed, and started cutting when I realized I didn't have the kit on there correctly. After I fixed the install issue, the cut was much better on my personal lawn.