PDA

View Full Version : How to manage tons of accounts

aclassic
05-09-2006, 12:10 AM
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere, and I have used the search option quite a bit. but i havent found what i'm looking for. i am looking at getting into the aeration business and am realizing that to make it work well, you must get 100's of accounts. So my question is, how do you manage this many accounts (sales, $ collection, records, bidding)? Can one person do it?
please direct me to another thread if you know of one, or just help me if you can
thanks

aclassic
05-09-2006, 12:14 AM
oh yeah, i'm interested mainly in how one goes about handling all of this, and maybe a suggestion on software and how that would help

rodfather
05-09-2006, 06:10 AM
First of all, you don't needs hundreds to make it work well.

To make it work well, you have to schedule it properly AND price it accordingly. Scheduling can be a little tricky cause the ground conditions have to be taken into consideration. Too dry and you can't pull plugs. Too wet and you make a muddy mess is all.

As for pricing, you need to consider # of obstacles to go around, hills/slopes, and how many passes you'll have to make.

topsites
05-09-2006, 08:18 AM
I handle customers one at a time, whether I have 5 or 50 or 500, first come, first serve...
Once the first customer's service is finished, next.

aclassic
05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
right, obviously one needs to handle each of his/her accounts one at a time and give each one their full attention. and yes, i agree that you dont have to have a ton of accounts to be successful in aeration.
even handling one account at a time whether it be 50 or 500 accounts, you have to do the paper work, billing, bidding, records, advertising, etc. is there software out there that can help handle all of that, or is there advise that can be given on how to handle large numbers of accounts.

JJLandscapes
05-09-2006, 10:04 PM
we have 110 acounts about and are very very far from organized by any means..... just keep your head out your ass and we started using quickbooks for bills and it helps alot

firt year we had 20 accounts then 60-70 and in our third year we have over 100 and either way you give customers same attention if you cant handle that many customers solo get some help.... the first step in being in the lawn care business is knowing how to run a business if you cant do that think again...

aclassic
05-09-2006, 11:42 PM
thanks jj, best advise yet.
i guess one thing i am interested in is how do companies like chemlawn manage that many accounts. that might be a bad example because they have lots of money, experience and personel. i'm interested b/c the business plan i am working on is for aeration. and as rodfather said, i dont have to have that many accounts to make it work, i would just like to show that i am prepared for as much as possible.
jj as you said w/in a few years you had 100+ accounts and its a bit crazy, i just want to do anything i can to be prepared for that if it comes to that.
thanks

cwlawley
05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't have hundreds of accounts but I do have a lot. I try to take a couple of minutes at the end of each day and put together a schedule for the next day from me excel list of customers. Try to look at the weather and plan accordingly, write it down and take off. There really isn't any easy way to do it.

J Hisch
05-10-2006, 05:04 PM
In order to Schedule, Bill, and collect, you will need a very good software. We use Lawn Assistant. It is about the best you will find in the industry but the best comes with a price tag. It will do everything for you but the work..... You can litterally manage thousands of customers from one software.

ed2hess
05-10-2006, 05:31 PM
In order to Schedule, Bill, and collect, you will need a very good software. We use Lawn Assistant. It is about the best you will find in the industry but the best comes with a price tag. It will do everything for you but the work..... You can litterally manage thousands of customers from one software.
Hisch,
Did you ever use Clip? Wondering if you tried it and didn't like it?

TJLANDS
05-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Have you tried Gopher, very easy to use program that will handle just about
anything. I use it and I have many many accounts. And it is relatively inexpensive compared to others I have tried.

JJLandscapes
05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
thanks jj, best advise yet.
i guess one thing i am interested in is how do companies like chemlawn manage that many accounts. that might be a bad example because they have lots of money, experience and personel. i'm interested b/c the business plan i am working on is for aeration. and as rodfather said, i dont have to have that many accounts to make it work, i would just like to show that i am prepared for as much as possible.
jj as you said w/in a few years you had 100+ accounts and its a bit crazy, i just want to do anything i can to be prepared for that if it comes to that.
thanks
smoke massive amounts of weed is my trick lol.... my memory is shot to **** so its not really as bad as u are getting nervous for

remember if you are doing maintenance the key is dont give your customers a reason to call(complaints) in the first place unless they need a job done is the only time they call us

first month or 2 of the season is a headache when new customers are calling and cleanups are driving you over the edge

J Hisch
05-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Hess,

The thing about clip it is didn't offer the marketing support that LA III does. I can send Grub, Aeration, perimeter pest, Pre, pays with pricing in an instant with just the click of a few buttons. Very helpful, I would say it may be close to being Identical type set-up but clip will not to the other stuff for upselling.