PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Advice

CWRSNY
05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I am looking to buy a exmark 36" Metro. 2005 with ECS Kolher Engine.

1) How much should I be paying in good condition???
2) I hear Kolher engines are not so good (Burn oil) Any imput here?
3) Known problems I should look for when purchasing used?

FYI - I cut 11 lawns a week @ 1/3 acre each. Can't be more then 10 hours/week total.

All imput welcome
Thank You,
Mike

J&R Landscaping
05-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Kohler engines will run for a long time. The 22 hp kohler that was on my dads bobcat z rider had 3400 hours on it and still runs strong.
Kohler engines seem to have problems with the following: Carburators, vavle adjustments, smart spark ignition componets.

I would check the spindles to make sure they are in good shape. Obviously run it before you buy! I would look to shell out around 1500++++++. JMO

oslo
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I've had no problems with Kohler's. No matter what you buy its all about maintenance.

GreenUtah
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Kohlers are pretty loud engines compared to their honda and kawasaki counterparts. All about the maintenance has nothing to do with poor design and manufacturing practices that lead to oil starvation in the upper block on machines properly filled with oil. Also, the unwillingness to honor their warranty is also an apparant Kohler trait. I personally would not select kohler engines for anything that I relied on, even though I've had many that did their hours as expected(wanna ask me what I REALLY think of them?! lol). But since the question is what's a used, one year old metro 36 worth? belt drive, 1200-1500, depending on it's condition. hydro, double.

The mayor
05-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I have a kohler on a walkbehind. It has to be about 10 years old. It only sees about 5 hours of use per week nowadays, But it was my main mower for about 6 years. It was used alot during that time. Besides huffing smoke on start up(even from new) The engine has never let me down.