PDA

View Full Version : Business

Swamp_Fox
05-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Im just starting out in the Lawn Business and wanted to know how do you guys get your clients?

Any suggestions on how I can start?

lawncutterupper
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Your about 3 weeks too late where im from, people either already found someone, or the grass is about thigh high. As fas as advertising, use the search feature and type in flyers, door hangers, yellow pages, yard signs and so on.

Swamp_Fox
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Thx so i need to put out doorhangers and flyers

I have a 21 in wb
blower
weedeater

so far thats wut im working with so i only need small lawns

and im trying to add a striping kit to my 21 will a 1/2 rubber flap work?

oasislawns
05-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Swamp Fox. You wouldn't happen to be in GA would you? Your name is the mascot where I went to college my first year. Just wandering.

cwlawley
05-09-2006, 11:55 PM
You can do doorhangers but right now flyers might be your best bet since you won't have to wait for printing. It isn't too late. I started in the middle of the summer and did fine, just don't expect too much the first year, but build on it your second and third years.

Madstriper
05-10-2006, 12:03 AM
I just started this part time solo 2nd week of April.
I ran an ad in the major newspaper under "Dial a Professional".
For $122 I got three lines with my company name in bold print,
the area I service and my phone number, three lines for 30 days.

So far, I have 9 weekly accounts, have picked up 6 side jobs(mostly
clean-ups, which pay well), and one referral.
Everyone tells me these arent typical results, but this worked well for me.
I started with Honda push mower, echo trimmer and blower and a truck, no trailer. Three of my jobs are really too big for just a 21", espeically with my crazy shifts bouncing me around on my day job. So I wimped out and bought a Home Depot John Deere 125 42" rider, it doesnt cut nearly as nice as the Honda, but sure makes those large back yards a piece of cake. Oh, and I paid for that John Deere, $1925 with tax, out of my gross income off these few accounts.

GreenUtah
05-11-2006, 06:28 PM
swamp, yes, you can use a rubber flap to create a striping pattern, if you cut it too long though, you might mave a little fun as you pull the mower back from under a low tree or rail fence and get it sucked into the blades..lol..if you are in a small town, local newspaper can also be an economical, effective way of putting out the word. there are clients up for grab all year long of every size, as people's wants change or as their current provider finishes digging his hole with that client. get out there and be seen and talk to everyone you can, that's the biggest key.

cessnasovereign
05-11-2006, 09:07 PM
I've never heard of using a rubber flap for stripes, please explain?

ed2hess
05-11-2006, 09:11 PM
This time of year a lot of students try to get 3 months of work. They make a personal letter up advertising the fact they are student working to make money in the summer. They normally try to appeal to persons doing the lawn themself....the idea is to try to get them to take a break and let you do it duing the hot part of summer when they are going on vacation.

GreenUtah
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
I've never heard of using a rubber flap for stripes, please explain?

Well, the idea for striping is to bend the grass in one direction, then in the opposite for the pass next to it. This way, you are seeing the length of the grass blade with the sun bouncing off of it in one direction, in the other, you are looking from the tip of the blade, down into the turf, basically seeing more shadows and giving it a darker appearance. It's just a game of light and shadows. A rubber flap will pull the grass and flatten it as you go, in the direction you are travelling with the mower, achieving this effect, although not to the degree a roller with weight on it will. Vacuum will also do the same thing when it's directional, the reason that some of the high lift mowers also stripe dark green lawns.