PDA

View Full Version : heavy half conversion

85w/350
05-18-2001, 08:36 PM
Hey guys:
I just recently converted my c-10 to a heavy half. Well its not a true heavy half because I just converted the leaf springs from 1/2ton to 3/4ton rather than the brakes and all. This was just to stiffen up the rear for pulling trailers. For anyone who hasn't done this it basically lifts the rear of teh truck 3 1/2 - 4inches and stiffens the rearend like a rock. (2-3 grown men standing on the bumper wont even make it sag) My problem is now that i have converted it over the rear end seems to sit uneven maybe the right side and inch higher than the left...any idea of what it might be? The leaf springs sit tight in the notches on the axle and everything else seemed to line up fine I just cant seem to figure it out. Any ideas? Not a big deal just curious.

05-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Couple of ideas here which may or may not apply - I don't know if you or a spring shop did the work, and I don't know how "disassembled" you had the original spring packs:

Are there the same number of leaves in each pack? (Not a smart*** remark, who knows what a previous owner may have done!)

Are any of the original leaves broken, and did all the extra leaves come from the same spring packs?

I know these sound ridiculously obvious, but sometimes they get overlooked!

85w/350
05-18-2001, 09:04 PM
I did the work myself straight swap with the springs and both packs had 5 springs neither are cracked

John DiMartino
05-18-2001, 09:44 PM
with rubber bushings,I leave the spring eye bolts slightly loose,drop the truck to the ground,then tighten the bolts,so you dont tear the rubber or put extra stress on the suspension.If you didnt do it this way,try loosening the bolts a hair on the higher side,with the weight on the suspension,then retightening them.Other than that I would suspect the springs arent matched,I dont know where you got them,but they arent a set,and one is stiifer,or has a higher rate than the other-even though they have the same # of leaves,and thickness.

85w/350
05-19-2001, 12:56 PM
I'll just have to try that it very well could be that i lugged down on one before it was sitting even with the other. They are a set the truck I pulled them from --my donor-- was sitting even in the back...thanks for the advice i'll give it a shot and let you guys know...