PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpening

mes37fan
05-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Can anyone give any feedback regarding using a Dremel tool with a lawn blade attachment to sharpen blades? :usflag:

mike lane lawn care
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I do it, i comes out fine, just do it more often than with a regular sharpener.

29 Palms Property Management
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I did it for awhile. It does come out pretty good. But I finally went and got a bench grinding wheel. Much faster and the edge seems to keep a bit longer then when done with a Dremel.

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
05-09-2006, 07:03 PM
why waste your time when a grinding wheel is cheap enough....the dremel just doesn't pack enough juice in it to use as often as we have to sharpen our blades.

ed2hess
05-09-2006, 07:18 PM
A 4" angle grinder with sandpaper is the easiest and fastest....you can also do the complicated mulch blades.

Freddy_Kruger
05-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I bought a bench grinder and i just mangle my blades, it (or me) really does an awful job, though it is sharp. I now bought a grinding wheel you put an a power drill I haven't used it yet and I'm already thinking of the angle grinder idea.

mes37fan
05-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I believe I'm going to use the angle grinder.

DynaMow
05-11-2006, 01:29 AM
A 4" angle grinder with sandpaper is the easiest and fastest....you can also do the complicated mulch blades.
Please explain this procedure to me. Do they make a sandpaper disc? Do you just place sandpaper on grinding disc? Is the use of sandpaper a seperate attachment? Is it velcro or adhesive backed?

Freddy_Kruger
05-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I bought a brand new atomic blade and it wasn't even that sharp.

B2E
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Please explain this procedure to me. Do they make a sandpaper disc? Do you just place sandpaper on grinding disc? Is the use of sandpaper a separate attachment? Is it Velcro or adhesive backed?

No on the grinding disc and sand paper, or Velcro! These mount in a 4" angle grinder, they are a layered sanding disc. They come in various grits just like sheet paper. You can get these at Lowe's and other home improvement or hardware stores. You can also get them at your local welding supply shop. They work terrific on welds or just finishing metal, I have not tried them on a blade, but I have no doubt they would be far superior to a hard wheel. They will conform to the surface being worked much better.

GreenUtah
05-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I bought a bench grinder and i just mangle my blades, it (or me) really does an awful job, though it is sharp. I now bought a grinding wheel you put an a power drill I haven't used it yet and I'm already thinking of the angle grinder idea.
Doing mulching blades with a bench grinder takes a steady hand and a lot of practice, like being a good welder. However, on a dual setup with a wire wheel on one side and a medium grit on the other, cleaning and sharpening blades is much, much faster than doing it with any handheld grinding device. The best method of all is the dedicated blade sharpeners with their correct bevel angles and low speed grinding to keep down heat and distortion, but you're then talking about a $500 &^ machine vs. a $50 one. Just don't forget to balance, whatever method you use.

ClayMcC
05-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Having used Dremels for a long time... don't press down with it... I burned one up doing that. This past Christmas I received one of the new lithium-ion cordless models and, as long as I remember to charge the battery, it has earned a permenent place in my tool box. A few times I've actually sharpened my mower blades in a customers front yard! It does great, and it's quick. Another thing to be aware of is oversharpening. Many believe that the sharper the blade the weaker it becomes... requiring you to sharpen more often... and you find yourself locked into a vicious cycle.

Freddy_Kruger
05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
Having used Dremels for a long time... don't press down with it... I burned one up doing that. This past Christmas I received one of the new lithium-ion cordless models and, as long as I remember to charge the battery, it has earned a permenent place in my tool box. A few times I've actually sharpened my mower blades in a customers front yard! It does great, and it's quick. Another thing to be aware of is oversharpening. Many believe that the sharper the blade the weaker it becomes... requiring you to sharpen more often... and you find yourself locked into a vicious cycle.
I would like to get the facts on that. I noticed when I bought a brand new Atomic blade it actually wasn't that sharp but MY natural tendency is to make it like a razor even though I think I know that would make it to suseptible to denting.

ed2hess
05-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Please explain this procedure to me. Do they make a sandpaper disc? Do you just place sandpaper on grinding disc? Is the use of sandpaper a seperate attachment? Is it velcro or adhesive backed?
I buy a metal cut off disc for the grinder and then I buy these packs of sandpaper(made for this grinder) and but the sandpaper on top of the cut off disc. The metal cut-off disc provides a good support for the sandpaper. The rubber/plastic backup that comes with angle grinder gets damaged easily if you use it with the sandpaper and they are expensive. The sandpaper and metal cutoff disc are standard parts that can be purchased with grinder.

Mike's Lawn & Snow
05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
why don't you guys just buy grinders made to sharpen lawnmower blades? I think i paid around 380 for mine and i get a professional edge every time.

Freddy_Kruger
05-13-2006, 03:32 PM
I got two lawn mowers and three blades that's why.

ed2hess
05-13-2006, 06:28 PM
why don't you guys just buy grinders made to sharpen lawnmower blades? I think i paid around 380 for mine and i get a professional edge every time.
The main reason I don't buy one is that you can't use it on the curved mulching blades and space is important in a small shop. I have had no need for a bench grinder in 25 years of repairing stuff...The angle grinder is quick and dirty and actually don't heat up the material. But I guess bench grinder would be better for straight blades...but $380 vs $80 for angle grinder??

ocelot27
05-13-2006, 06:49 PM
I would like to get the facts on that. I noticed when I bought a brand new Atomic blade it actually wasn't that sharp but MY natural tendency is to make it like a razor even though I think I know that would make it to suseptible to denting.

I agree - all the new blades I've seen don't have what I would consider to be a "sharp" edge - i.e. like one on a knife or pair of scissors. When I sharpen I just knock down the dings and don't try to get a perfect knife edge - I try to get back to what the blades looked like when they were new. I think the most important thing is to move your grinder fast in one direction so that you don't heat the metal up too much in one area - this can change the properties of the metal and warp the blade. I also try to maintain the original angle (30 degrees for scag) as best I can. - john.

Boonman
05-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I use a 4.5" Dewalt angle grinder, with a grinding wheel attachment. It really hogs the material off in a hurry, and does a fantastic job. With the Clipper ZTR machine, I can scrape the deck, blades off, sharpen, blades back on in under 15 minutes. The hand grinder has worked the best for me. I have had no problems doing it this way. And it is a cheap alternative to the fancy $400 bench grinder with a few attachments bolted on it... :dizzy:

TPnTX
05-14-2006, 07:38 AM
they are called "flap disc" for angle grinders

easycareacres
05-14-2006, 08:02 AM
15 mins take off sharpenn {balance} wow faster than me

easycareacres
05-14-2006, 08:08 AM
thought i was good on angle grinder too.

ClayMcC
05-14-2006, 10:57 AM

I tend to agree as my natural tendency is to make it razor sharp as well. My argument for razor sharp is all about what we cut. We're cutting grass (for Pete's sake!). My brother-in-law has been a carpenter for thirty something years, and every time I mention that I like my (mower) blades sharp, he balks by reminding me not to make them too sharp.

Perhaps the "fact" is it all comes down to opinion and experience. I certainly have lots of opinions but I fall short on the experience. Until I'm convinced that duller is better, I'm going to sharpen mine until they're just short of putting paper cuts into my fingers.

Freddy_Kruger
05-14-2006, 12:36 PM
15 mins take off sharpenn {balance} wow faster than me
OH come on, you guys serious? Takes me less than 5.