PDA

View Full Version : No rain in Florida

mes37fan
05-09-2006, 02:31 PM
I am new to the business and I started my business on 3-1-06 and have 13 accounts. It has hardly rained in southwest florida the last couple of months. I have put out doorhangers and have an add in the local paper. My mower dealer and father tell me that when the rain comes that I will get more calls that I can handle.

Do any LCO'S in Florida feel the same or do you think that people have their lawn care provider in place? I need 20 more accounts ASAP and my goal is to have between 55 and 60 customers. :usflag:

MysticLandscape
05-09-2006, 02:51 PM
As far as rain goes it is supose to rain here for 5 days STRAIGHT!!!:cry:

CutInEdge Lawn Care
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Just be patient!!! It wont be long and you wish it wasnt raining. So far advertising $ spent this yr arent generating the level of income it usually does. That is why you save and invest for times just like this. Good Luck!!! 80% of my customers are on monthly service agreements which helps tremendously, however, I can sense their thoughts when they are wrighting the check and usually I am there everyweek and for months its been everyother week. I refuse to mow a dried up yard and make it worse.

lawnmaniac883
05-09-2006, 03:17 PM
WOO HOO! Thank the lord that it rained here this morning. Hopefully that will get rid of the wildfire issue from here for awhile. Couldnt ask for a better birthday present here. Been 2 months with no rain.

29 Palms Property Management
05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
It finally rained here yesterday afternoon after a bout 2 months without. It's not nearly enough, but it's a start. We got about a half an inch. But we are still about 7-8 inches below for the year. The local weather guy said last night that the whole state of FL is going through its driest year so far, since records have been kept, late 1800's! So please, so of you up north, please send some this way! Just a little! I'll give you a beer!!!:drinkup:

zim bob the landscaper
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
As far as rain goes it is supose to rain here for 5 days STRAIGHT!!!:cry:
seven is what i heard.

KINGjosh
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
This is why I am the sole controller of their sprinkler system!

lawnboy dan
05-09-2006, 08:27 PM
got our first rain in 6 weeks last nite. only one other spring has been this dry in the 18 yrs i have been here. its florida and sooner or later its going to start raining and your biz will pick up. drought is another reason i wont use contracts. it isnt fair to the custermers.

TJLC
05-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Yea, we got about 2 hrs of rain here this morning. It was a very welcome sight for sure.

Precision
05-09-2006, 10:22 PM
WOO HOO! Thank the lord that it rained here this morning. Hopefully that will get rid of the wildfire issue from here for awhile. Couldnt ask for a better birthday present here. Been 2 months with no rain. yeah we got 1/4 inch. It was nice, but we need that for the next 8 days straight.

And yes once the rain comes the clients will too, but lets just hope it isn't like in 98 when it waited until July to rain.

Precision
05-09-2006, 10:25 PM
drought is another reason i wont use contracts. it isnt fair to the custermers.

That is crazy.

It isn't fair to anyone. But none of my clients have complained. We go and do the work when it has rained 5 days in a row and has 8 inches of growth to cut off 3 weeks in a row. What is the difference? Next year when it is hot and wet starting in March, it will all balance out.

topsites
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
That is crazy.

It isn't fair to anyone. But none of my clients have complained. We go and do the work when it has rained 5 days in a row and has 8 inches of growth to cut off 3 weeks in a row. What is the difference? Next year when it is hot and wet starting in March, it will all balance out.

To each their own, but I agree with you because I eat the cost myself not only in times of drought but when it rains, I don't charge extra when it's all muddy and soggy and the stuff clumps and I have to run over it 3-4 times. As a per-cut verbal guy, my regular rate makes up for it when it's not like that, and during times of drought is about the only time I can get some of the other work done.

Yesterday was the first day in literally weeks where I did nothing but zzzzz as it rained ALL day. It started sunday afternoon and poured throughout the night, into Monday and drizzle, it was still wet tuesday morning, so I got started right at the crack of noon. I expect the rest of the week will be packed with work, so far it is.

mes37fan
05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I do work off a a yearly contract because it will give me a consistent income. I feel like it will work for one party one year and one party the next. I have 13 customers currently and only one is giving a problem. My other customers are very supportive and understanding.

However, I do worry that customers will drop their serivce in the winter months to avoid paying.

What do you guys think or what is your experience with this issue?

Thanks everyone. This site has helped. :usflag: