PDA

View Full Version : homeowner sprinjler setup

mike lane lawn care
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
hi guys.
i was planning on installing an underground sprinkler system with popup heads. i was amased at how inexpensive the parts are. what i want to do is setup a system with 5 of 6 zones, and i want to use the outdoor fauccet(yes i know it isn't the best.) but here is my plan, i was going to put a Y type connector at the hose spicket, and run some pipe stright underground so it looks neat and clean, then behind a big bush a few feet away i will put the backflow preventer and the first valve. then i will have it branch off into the separate zones. there are enough flower beds on my poperty to neatly conceal any valves.

What are your oppinions and sudgestions?
I know very little about irrigation and need some help.
Thanks,
Mike

bumper
05-09-2006, 06:32 PM
What are the GPM, what is static water pressure, what type heads, what is their GPM, what size pipe, what kind of pipe, how many heads per zone. Why a Y connector to your faucet? why not T into the service line at the faucet? why not run AVB's on the valves?

mike lane lawn care
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
What are the GPM, what is static water pressure, what type heads, what is their GPM, what size pipe, what kind of pipe, how many heads per zone. Why a Y connector to your faucet? why not T into the service line at the faucet? why not run AVB's on the valves?

okay here is what i know,
the water PSI is in the ballpark of 60 PSI,
gallons per min, i don't know.
heads: toro simpleset, not sure about their GPM(if you have another sudgestion, the lower GPM the better)
about 4 or 5 heads per zone
the pipe is Toro funny Pipe
i want to use the Y connector from the fauccet because it is easier and i can't have a plumber come in and do this(costs too much)
what is AVB?

i don't know much about irrigation, i just want the lawn watered without setting sprinklers all over the lawn.

anyone have any diagrams? or software?

Wet_Boots
05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
What you propose would probably render your home unsaleable, because it would not pass an inspection.
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54025&stc=1&d=1143685943
Better to use threaded brass fittings and adapters to split the faucet water, and to locate the backflow preventer at your connection point.

mike lane lawn care
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM
is that picture above how it should be?

Ami i better off getting someone to install this for me?

SprinklerGuy
05-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes....parts are inexpensive..the lessons you may learn can be expensive.

Unless, you are very handy, have many hours to spare, are patient, and willing to do things more than once :)

Seriously though...pay someone to do it if you can afford to. If not, be prepared to spend 10x more time than you thought doing this....it isn't hard, nor is it rocket science (brain surgery???)....but it can be a pain in the arse w/out proper direction and help.

We will help you if we can.

mike lane lawn care
05-09-2006, 07:30 PM
thanks sprinkler guy, i can't afford to hire someone this year, and this project looks to be a litle more than i can handle. so i will probably end up going sears, get a bunch of impact sprinklers and some hose, and set them out in the hot weather.

bumper
05-09-2006, 07:50 PM
AVB...Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker, it comes as part of the valve.

Like Sprinkler guy said, it aint rocket science but you have to know what you are doing. If not, all that hard work you put in could be for not.

I asked those questions as a manner of acquainting you with some of the basic concerns needing to be addressed. Do some research on the issue and see if it's something you'll want to tackle.

As already mentioned...you should T into the service line, install a ball valve for irrigation shut off and start building our system. Your GPM is relative to the amount of water necessary for operating each zone depending upon the GPM flow of the heads + how many heads and your psi is relevant for making sure the farthest head from the valve has enough psi to operate correctly.

BigChaz
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I mow a yard who has their system running off the faucet. I know i wouldnt like it because they have tons of closely spaced misters up front and in the back the pressure only powers like 2 heads at once

Wet_Boots
05-09-2006, 08:47 PM
As already mentioned...you should T into the service line, install a ball valve for irrigation shut off and start building our system.Not in Massachusetts. Make that ball valve a gate or a stop valve, so it can't freeze and break in the winter.

bumper
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Not in Massachusetts. Make that ball valve a gate or a stop valve, so it can't freeze and break in the winter.

finding out more and more about you Eastcoasters :)

SprinklerGuy
05-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Finding out more and more about you SoCals also....AVB's...sheesh. ;)

Wet_Boots
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I think he really meant ASVs (antisyphon valves) which are common enough in SoCal.

bumper
05-10-2006, 06:24 PM
here we refer to the vacuum breaker has a type of anti spyphon component of the valve...one we can install stand alone or in conjunction with the valve depending upon our needs. ;)

Wet_Boots
05-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I miss the Richdel stand-alone vacuum breaker. You still see it as a part of an Irritrol ASV, but on its own, the vacuum breaker part was useful in retrofit work.