PDA

View Full Version : 30yrds or mulch

smarino21
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
i gotta install 30 yrds or mulch. I am not sure whats the best way to do it. I was thinking getting a little machine or something its on a 2 acre residential lot with all sod. I was thinking a DINGO but it tears up the grass. Anny ideas /

mrbray101
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Dingo would be too slow. IMO loading the back of a pickup with 1-3 yards is the fastest method. If your truck isnt too high its very fast. Just load it up and pitch it out of the bed with a snow shovel. This doesnt even require spreading by hand or with a rake. I did 15 yards by myself in 5 hours the other day. I was humping it all day but that was a quick 15 yrds. Wheelbarrow method is good too but if theres truck access i would recomend that. Just be careful not to tear up the lawn.

Travel'n Trees
05-10-2006, 01:46 AM
Try a dump truck and bobcat should be able to do it in under 3 hrs. with 2 guys.

PaulJ
05-10-2006, 09:18 AM
If you can't drive a truck on the grass.(I wouldn't) Try a small trailer behind a garden tractor or Z mower. or if it's not hilly a big weelbarrrel can be just about as fast.

mow king
05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
You'll most likely end up screwing up the grass with a dingo or skidsteer. Just sub it out to a mulch blowing service.

You'll still make money and all you have to do is make a phone call and send out a invoice.

EgansCountryGardens
05-10-2006, 09:29 PM
wheelbarrows, shovels, rakes, and a couple friends. Sometimes it takes more effort trying to think of an easier way to do things.:weightlifter:

topsites
05-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Try an Ensilage Fork
also called a cottonseed fork
They have 10 or 12 tines, are as wide and roughly the same shape as a snow shovel.
They load mulch!
They RULE mulch!

The 10-tine is king for loading barrows, 5-6 forks worth, it's full every time.

Not far behind is the Landscaper's rake, you can find these at Home Depot.
What a spreader that 36-inch wide rake is!

Between the 10-tine and the Landscaper's rake, they work me so good I do 5 cubes in the AM, 5 in the PM and call it a day.
3 days later, 30 cubes done and chaching!
You can sub it out to the blower guys, but I'd do the work for the rest of the money myself.
I've heard of guys spreading 30-odd cubes in one day, but see, I like being able to work the next day and the day after that.

kootoomootoo
05-10-2006, 10:57 PM
its 30 yards not 300...........you guys callin for the use of a "blower truck"
How do you explain to the customer that the super fine mulch didn't last more than a few months.....or that it is far from 3in .....more like a dusting.

mow king
05-10-2006, 11:30 PM
its 30 yards not 300...........you guys callin for the use of a "blower truck"
How do you explain to the customer that the super fine mulch didn't last more than a few months.....or that it is far from 3in .....more like a dusting.

Have you either used a blower truck or been around one???

Any type of mulch can be spread with one, including the mulch you'd spread by hand. It can also be spread to any desired depth.

30 yards is roughly 30 man hours by hand or less than half a day with a blower truck.

Get in, get out and move on to the next job.

gammon landscaping
05-10-2006, 11:41 PM
i had 40 yards blowen in today it took them 3 hours(lots of moving) they made 1400 i made 500 and all i did was stand there and smoke cigerattes and talk to the hose guy. and it was 4 inches deep. you do have to go to work to make money. the biggest problem with subing work out is when you don't over see it and make sure it is done right, rmember that is what that 500 is for

lawnkid
05-10-2006, 11:58 PM
I agree with kootoomootoo. 30 yards is not a lot of mulch spread by hand. 3-4 guys and you'll be done in a day. Forget the mulch blowing, it's overrated. I saw some guys dicking around with one today when we were working nextdoor and I was laughing at them. We spread 23 yards in like 6 hours, and they started earlier than us and were still there when we were done. It's so uneven and it makes a mess. Some areas will be 1" and some will be like 4". Unless I'm doing like 100 plus yards, we can do it by hand.I'd try using a small dump trailer on the back of your rider or an ATV. Anyways good luck, let us know how i turns out. Another option would be to buy it in bags :laugh:

kootoomootoo
05-11-2006, 12:15 AM
Have you either used a blower truck or been around one???

Any type of mulch can be spread with one, including the mulch you'd spread by hand. It can also be spread to any desired depth.

30 yards is roughly 30 man hours by hand or less than half a day with a blower truck.

Get in, get out and move on to the next job.

Any mulch?...maybe you you have been watchin too many videos. Ask Any operator of one of these trucks ...(i just happen to know one). Anything coarser than triple shredded and they are spending more time unclogging than shooting......you know like the guys who get 10,000 sq. ft from a 500 gal tank of hydroseed. (well thats what the video said)

You sign a contract for 3in depth it sure as hell better be 3in....instead of the painted on 1in. Certain sales reps luv following blower trucks around.

zero_turn_mowers
05-11-2006, 12:56 AM
We use a Kubota B 7500 tractor with turf tires for large mulch jobs, we actually load a 20 foot trailer with 10 yards of mulch at a time and use the tractor to unload it, just over the years I have replaced a ton of rear gates on these trailers unloading like this.

Tim

JS Landscaping
05-11-2006, 09:03 PM
if you are having it delivered in one big pile, use a dingo with the largest bucket you can get for it, have 2 guys runnin wheelbarrels back and forth to one guy spreading. Have the guys with the wheel barrels line them up nose to nose, take the dingo and load both wheelbarrels in one scoop, and they are on thier way. Loading the mulch into the wheel barrels is the most time consuming and energy consuming part. We have found this to be the fastest and most efficnet method so far.......

James
JS LANDSCAPING

causalitist
07-16-2006, 01:19 PM
if you are having it delivered in one big pile, use a dingo with the largest bucket you can get for it, have 2 guys runnin wheelbarrels back and forth to one guy spreading. Have the guys with the wheel barrels line them up nose to nose, take the dingo and load both wheelbarrels in one scoop, and they are on thier way. Loading the mulch into the wheel barrels is the most time consuming and energy consuming part. We have found this to be the fastest and most efficnet method so far.......

James
JS LANDSCAPING

i agree. fast, but doesnt rip up any grass.

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 01:33 PM
We can't stand the results of a blower truck. On residentials with that much mulch I would suggest a power buggy with a sulky on it. You can get one from your local tool rental for around $65 a day. It has a 16 cu. ft. hydrolic bucket, leaves very little yard damage if any, and it completely effortless.

grass_cuttin_fool
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I use a 10 cubic foot wheel barrow, takes about 3 loads to make a yard, I dont take the chance of having lawn damage anymore after I had to repair a yard from driving across it(cost me most of the profit on that job). It may take a little longer but it seems that with the wheel barrow I can get the mulch where I really need it.

wayne

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 02:37 PM
I use a 10 cubic foot wheel barrow, takes about 3 loads to make a yard, I dont take the chance of having lawn damage anymore after I had to repair a yard from driving across it(cost me most of the profit on that job). It may take a little longer but it seems that with the wheel barrow I can get the mulch where I really need it.

wayne

I'm sure we all agree that a wheelbarrow is the most common method, but this guy is talking 30 yds across 2 acres. Shoveling and hauling on that would be alot of work. I think his question was a best method to reduce time. The Power Buggies very rarely leave any yard damage. I don't think you need to be too concerned with that.

bigjeeping
07-16-2006, 03:45 PM
I had 6 guys do 100 yards by hand (wheelbarrels, shovels, rakes). They did it between 2 days, but who cares. I made a killing! Why pay another contractor when it's your job. Just do it. :weightlifter:

grass_cuttin_fool
07-16-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm sure we all agree that a wheelbarrow is the most common method, but this guy is talking 30 yds across 2 acres. Shoveling and hauling on that would be alot of work. I think his question was a best method to reduce time. The Power Buggies very rarely leave any yard damage. I don't think you need to be too concerned with that.
Well I dont know the depth of his company, I dont know what he can afford and what he cant. But the 10 cubic foot wheel barrow was in my opinion the best and fastest way to move the mulch with the least amount of damage.By his post we dont know if he is having it delivered or is using his on trailer so he may or may not be shoveling it off the ground into a wheelbarrow.

''i gotta install 30 yrds or mulch. I am not sure whats the best way to do it. I was thinking getting a little machine or something its on a 2 acre residential lot with all sod. I was thinking a DINGO but it tears up the grass. Anny ideas /''

alot of variables here also.............we dont know how many beds or places that require mulch. Im not trying to be a smarty pants about it, just stating that the wheelbarrow method might would be MY choice :rolleyes:

wayne

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Well I dont know the depth of his company, I dont know what he can afford and what he cant. But the 10 cubic foot wheel barrow was in my opinion the best and fastest way to move the mulch with the least amount of damage.By his post we dont know if he is having it delivered or is using his on trailer so he may or may not be shoveling it off the ground into a wheelbarrow.

''i gotta install 30 yrds or mulch. I am not sure whats the best way to do it. I was thinking getting a little machine or something its on a 2 acre residential lot with all sod. I was thinking a DINGO but it tears up the grass. Anny ideas /''

alot of variables here also.............we dont know how many beds or places that require mulch. Im not trying to be a smarty pants about it, just stating that the wheelbarrow method might would be MY choice :rolleyes:

wayne

I agree, but it sounds like our poster is either light-staffed or lazy? The Power Buggy will allow for a better conservation of energy with faster results, but I do admit that 30 yds is an easy job with 4 guys and a wheelbarrow.

cleancutccl
07-16-2006, 04:48 PM
If you don't have large mulch wheelbarrows go buy them. 8 or 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows get the job done easy. 2 guys loading and unloading wheelbarrows and one guy spreading. This job would be done easily in a day, if you don't have the capability to bring the mulch to the site in one or two loads, get it delivered and save even more time. Whoever said 1 man hour for 1 yard of mulch needs to get harder working guys. I would charge a man hour per yard but it shouldn't actually take that long to install it.

tthomass
07-16-2006, 05:12 PM
i didn't read everybodies response but how about renting a Georgia Buggy? if you have to go a long distance..........hold a lot more than any Dingo and damage is minimal

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 05:17 PM
i didn't read everybodies response but how about renting a Georgia Buggy? if you have to go a long distance..........hold a lot more than any Dingo and damage is minimal

Your right, you did not read the posts.

Team-Green L&L
07-16-2006, 05:20 PM
If you don't have large mulch wheelbarrows go buy them. 8 or 10 cubic foot wheelbarrows get the job done easy. 2 guys loading and unloading wheelbarrows and one guy spreading. This job would be done easily in a day, if you don't have the capability to bring the mulch to the site in one or two loads, get it delivered and save even more time. Whoever said 1 man hour for 1 yard of mulch needs to get harder working guys. I would charge a man hour per yard but it shouldn't actually take that long to install it.

Your guys must be some hard workers. Less than 1 MH to unload, dump, and spread a yard of mulch correctly? We charge between $75.35 a yard and $85.30 depending on variables.