PDA

View Full Version : Dog Fence

Weedburner
05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Anyone have experience with the "invisable fence" buried wire system to keep dogs in? I plan to bury about 1400 feet of wire to keep my Lab in the farmyard. Any thoughts on best brand to buy?

HenryB
05-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Home Depot has one with plenty of extras available (batteries, wire, recievers) if necessary. Follow the instructions it's a great thing my two dogs are now free to run. It cost about $140 for everything. Good Luck!

cpritch
05-10-2006, 04:38 PM
when we had one for our dogs. Three of them were very respectful of that line once they learned the rules of the 'invisible fence,' but our fourth, the 114 pound Golden Retriever, used to just sit on the fence line. It would just kill us. You could see his jowles vibrating from the shock, it was like he thought it was a massage or something. Needless to say, he didn't have any issues about crossing the fence line either. :nono: So, we now have a regular old wood picket fence for the big boy. :laugh:

mak2
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I just installed my dog fence this week. Think this would be a good side buisness to get into? Weedburner, I kinda cobbled mine together from the Tractor supply store and electrical shop for the wire. I did buy nice collars though. But mine was about $75.00 total.

tdf
05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I used to be a dealer for PetStop Fencing and I will tell you that they absolutly do work. The key is the training. If you follow the training exactly and resist the temptation to skip or hurry through, you should be fine. I don't know if PetStop is in your area. Check out their site getpetstop.com. I would not get a store bought unit because they don't have a warranty for lightning damage and lightning is going to hit your fence. It is just a matter of time. Also look at getting a panamax lightning and surge protector. It is specifically designed for pet fencing. One guy mention this as a side business, You can make alot of jack in a couple of hours installing these fences.

Later,TF

olderthandirt
05-10-2006, 10:01 PM
I used to be a dealer for PetStop Fencing and I will tell you that they absolutly do work. The key is the training. If you follow the training exactly and resist the temptation to skip or hurry through, you should be fine

And thats the only way they work! If the dog runs through it they can't get back in with out getting shocked. now theres a good lesson for the dog to know that going home means pain :dizzy:
Get a shock collar and spend a few weeks teaching the dog the rules and boundarys of the property and you will have a dog that listens all the time, not one thats scared of an invisable fence

JClawncare
05-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Just installed one Monday. 500 ft. PetSafe from Pet Smart. I used a edger to dig the slot for the wire. Then went back over the line with sand in some areas that were dirt covering the wire was kinda thin. So far so good. But I have been trying to follow the instructions to a "T". My two dogs are pointers and are familiar with a shock collar but they both seem a little unsure right now. But overall pleased.

Weedburner
05-12-2006, 11:16 PM
I ordered a Pet Safe system from a place called Radio Fence. I should get it Tuesday. It's been raining here so I will get a chance to install it. A friend told me one of the rental stores has a slit machine special made to install the wire. I can dig accross the gravel with my trencher. I'll probably have $300 or better in this project, hope it works.

lawnjockey51
05-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Funny story about a dog fence. I had just finished installing one and my, at that time teenaged son, decided that he was going to try it on himself before we put it on the beagle. He just grabbed the collar firmly in his hand and started walking toward the wire... I am not sure which one of us came closer to wetting our pants ... Him from getting shocked or me from laughing so hard. He scrreamed like a little girl and threw that thing about 30 feet in the air.

south_haven_patrick
05-13-2006, 08:57 AM
I invented a machine to pull behind an ATV. It looks ugly but it works great. It leaves a slice line in the sod that heals fast.

I would love to start a side business in central Minnesota installing this, but am unsure how to proceed.

Randy J
05-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Invisible Fence. Not cheap, but warranted for lightening surges.