PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! Why didn't I do a back-up?

MowerMoney
05-10-2006, 12:16 AM
A little bit of advice. ALWAYS DO BACK-UPS for your computer files and records. I didn't for, well at least since last summer. :nono: Somehow just got out of the habit. And guess what? The internal power supply malfuctioned (very rare) and fried my hard drive. My computer guy has been trying since Friday to retrieve any data from the drive. ALL my records from the last 3 years...GONE. Sales reports, expense reports, customer lists, everything GONE. :dizzy: Had a list of aerations to do this Saturday, GONE and I can't remember all the customers.
Always do your back-ups! Get in the habit! Man, what a hard lesson to learn.:hammerhead:

topsites
05-10-2006, 12:23 AM
You can still access the drive via a Linux OS, you need a bootable CD made from an ISO.

On that note, I have my PC hooked into a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and ever since I did that, the frequency of components breaking has gone way down. I don't think anything has gone bad with my pc in the past 3-4 years, thou I did upgrade some stuff, hardly anything fries anymore. Get a UPS !

As for me, very little of my co's crap is on the hard-drive, I'm all old-school paperwork.
Only thing I have on here that is important are a couple of web sites, pics and a few form letters and contract documents and some pw's and stuff... I usually zip all that up into a file and burn it to CD-Rom once or twice a year.

Dirty Water
05-10-2006, 12:29 AM
You can still access the drive via a Linux OS, you need a bootable CD made from an ISO.

What probably happened was the internal voltage regulator on the power supply malfunctioned, allowing a much higher voltage than 5 volt to reach the accessories and motherboard. This probably fried the stepper motor, and the logic board on the hard drive.

If thats the case, regardless of what Operating System you use (BTW, I do use Linux) you won't be able to read the data.

However, some people have had good luck with changing out the logic board from the fried drive with a identicle model from a new drive and still being able to read the data on the platters.

mike lane lawn care
05-10-2006, 12:31 AM
you know, i bought a UPS for the desktop for my mom and brother(i use a laptop, it has the ultimate UPS) every couple of days you hear the beep of the UPS stating that it has come on. no lights flicker or anything, it protects against the smallest of surges and outages.

newz7151
05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
What probably happened was the internal voltage regulator on the power supply malfunctioned, allowing a much higher voltage than 5 volt to reach the accessories and motherboard. This probably fried the stepper motor, and the logic board on the hard drive.

You know.. with things like that happening.. why don't computer PSUs have some type of active replaceable fuse on them?