PDA

View Full Version : Truck with tow package....needs brake controller?

drsogr
05-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Well guys I bought my new work truck. Its a 2500 suburban, of course it has the tow package. The problem is, I pulled my new trailer home today and the brakes weren't working on the trailer. The suburban doesn't have a brake controller, but I figured it was some how built in since it had the tow package? Should the brakes have worked on the trailer, or do I need to install a brake controller?

BSDeality
05-10-2006, 08:42 PM
the brake controller is seperate from a tow package, ford is the only company (i know of) that integrates a brake unit from the factory (optionally). So no, your brakes on the trailer will not function until you have a brake controller. You should get a good one like a Tekonosha Prodigy would be my vote.

Keith
05-10-2006, 08:52 PM
I second the recommendation of the Tekonsha Prodigy :) They also sell a manufacturer-specific harness for about 10 bucks or so that should make it a true plug-n-play deal for you.

PJDiesel
05-10-2006, 08:58 PM
The pigtail for the controller is under your dash. If not, you would REALLY be wishing you got the tow package. It should be plug and play, otherwise you would be running wires all over the truck to hook it up.

drsogr
05-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I really didn't see any kind of pigtail hanging down. About where should I be looking.....its probably tucked up in there and I just didn't see it.

drsogr
05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I second the recommendation of the Tekonsha Prodigy :) They also sell a manufacturer-specific harness for about 10 bucks or so that should make it a true plug-n-play deal for you.

I will take your guys recommendation about the tekonsha....I really don't know what to look for in one, except for that I didn't care for the last one that I had.

Scag48
05-10-2006, 11:32 PM
Get that baby wired up so you can use the trailer brakes. Driving without trailer brakes is like driving blind for me.

drsogr
05-10-2006, 11:45 PM
LOL...I just got the trailer today!

Keith
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I am not sure where it will be on your truck. On my F350 it is up under the dash, kind of in line with the stereo and a/c control, but near the bottom of the panel. Yours is probably tucked up near the same place, and is probably held up with a plastic clip. The specific harness they sell for it just interfaces your truck harness with their controller.

Here's a pic or how I mounted mine. I drilled a hole through the cubby and the truck's harness was pretty close, just behind that panel.

FearThisDeere
05-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Tekonosha Prodigy would be my vote.
Same here. I have had five and never one complaint! I hope you find that pigtail. My chevy didn't have one and it cost me about $240 to get it all hooked up!.:hammerhead: :dizzy: I'll try to remember to get a pic up when I get home tonight!

drsogr
05-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I am not sure where it will be on your truck. On my F350 it is up under the dash, kind of in line with the stereo and a/c control, but near the bottom of the panel. Yours is probably tucked up near the same place, and is probably held up with a plastic clip. The specific harness they sell for it just interfaces your truck harness with their controller.

Here's a pic or how I mounted mine. I drilled a hole through the cubby and the truck's harness was pretty close, just behind that panel.

I like how you have that mounted....looks pretty slick. I am going to search for it some more.

Canon Landscaping
05-11-2006, 03:12 PM
it's under the dash to the left of the brake pedal behind a black plastic cover held on with a big plastic nut there will be a place to plug in brake controller.

FearThisDeere
05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
Here is a pic of where I mounted mine. It is right below the pull out cup holder. It work well there and is out of the way. I used to have one to the left and down of the steering wheel on my old truck and I whacked every time I got in and out of the truck!

drsogr
05-11-2006, 08:55 PM
it's under the dash to the left of the brake pedal behind a black plastic cover held on with a big plastic nut there will be a place to plug in brake controller.

I didn't see it there...I am going to a trailer place tomorrow....hopefully I won't have to have them wire it!

Scag48
05-11-2006, 10:51 PM
It doesn't cost that much to have them wire it, but you can do it yourself and save a little money.

hosejockey2002
05-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I didn't see it there...I am going to a trailer place tomorrow....hopefully I won't have to have them wire it!

That is where you plug the pigtail in. The pigtail itself won't be there unless there was a brake controller previously installed in the truck. If you bought the truck used and there is no pigtail you may have to get one at the dealer. Also, there is a stud you need to install in the power distribution box under the hood in order to enable the charge circuit for your trailer's breakaway battery.

drsogr
05-17-2006, 11:07 PM
the brake controller is seperate from a tow package, ford is the only company (i know of) that integrates a brake unit from the factory (optionally). So no, your brakes on the trailer will not function until you have a brake controller. You should get a good one like a Tekonosha Prodigy would be my vote.

Well I finally got the brake controller today, man let me tell you I am so pleased with this prodigy controller. Man, what a difference. This is a great controller, I am surprised that they even make controllers any different than how they make theres. Night and day difference between this one and my old envoy I think. Works great...big thumbs up. Thanks for the suggestion.

BSDeality
05-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Excellent to hear! I bought the prodigy for my dodge 1500 after 1 day of using a cheap one I picked up @ walmart. Like you say, its a night and day difference. I have the integrated unit on my F350 PSD which is the cats meow, but I'm thinking about putting the prodigy back into service in my little toyota for pulling my 6x12

CutRight
05-18-2006, 01:06 AM
i just wired the same harness in my new duramax yesterday. to the top left of the brake pedal theres a black plastic cover, square like. theres a plastic nut holding it on....take that off...

look to the top left of the plugs that are in there. should be the second one over from the left, a six prong, spend the extra $14 at the trailer parts store and get the harness that just plugs from your harness to the truck....no splicing wires with the tow package wiring harness that should be in your glove box. plug the two wires up.

then you have to go under your hood

in the fuse box in front of the driver side. pull off the cover
there should be a dud fuse that says B+ on it, maybe red, mine was red.

in that wiring that came in your glove box, undo the electrical tape and there will be a 40 amp fuse in there... plug that in the plase of that dud fuse and your good to go..
attach your trailer and get that summamam b***tch goin

CutRight
05-18-2006, 01:07 AM
wow im polish....after all that typing i see you already had it installed.....oh well

drsogr
05-18-2006, 08:38 AM
LOL..yeah I got here in. I didn't mess with any fuse though?!

Husky03
05-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Around how much would it cost to get one of these things wired and installed in my S10?

Thanks...

CutRight
05-18-2006, 11:50 PM
i dunno......my last two new trucks i had to put that fuse in that comes with the wires in the glove box....check it out let me know.....cause iv blown that fuse before too........wires were too long behind the trailer and got chewed up....it blew the fuse

FearThisDeere
05-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Around how much would it cost to get one of these things wired and installed in my S10?

Thanks...
You are looking at about $250 to $350 installed with the brak controller, wiring, and light plug. Depends on the brake controller.