PDA

View Full Version : Well I got my Mantis Tiller

sheshovel
05-11-2006, 01:51 AM
And guess what?It quits on me..just shuts off..unplug the wire to the kill switch it fires up and runs great.Plug it back in and even if the red switch itself is ON position it cuts off.What a pita and they left me on hold for 1/2 hour trying to call them!Hung-up in frustration!

LLandscaping
05-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I have a Mantis tiller and have had great luck with it. The only time mine wouldn't crank was when the cable for the on/off switch came loose. I put some cable ties on it and have not had any problems. I would take the Mantis back to your dealer and make them fix it.

Duck Dodger
05-11-2006, 09:59 PM
I have used mantis over 10 years now they rock. She maybe you just got a lemon?

Killswitch
05-11-2006, 10:09 PM
I think I have the troy built lemon. Same design as the mantis...little heavier duty in my opinion but sometimes the recoil doesnt catch until I bop the machine on the ground....then it catches. I have one more small garden bed to till then it's going back to Lowes for a replacement.

Thoese little cultivators rule though. A must have.

ArkansasLawns
05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Have you given the Mantis a nick name yet?

Tharrell
05-12-2006, 05:37 AM
I was at my dealer the other day. Someone came in with an internet Mantis and wanted him to put it together!!!
Anyway, I rented theirs yesterday and it does rock. It has the Echo engine.
I'm going to buy one and the hedge trimmer attachment.
Oh yeah, back to the topic, it's probably a wire!

Jnamo
05-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Mantis-
the "Power Weasel"

They do rock! Love those little dudes!

dfor
05-13-2006, 11:15 AM
It sounds like a couple of wires might be crossed????
Quick question for those of you that have the mini cultivators. How well do they work if you are trying to till up grass to make a new garden or enlarge a planting bed? And are there any other uses for them other than tilling?

sheshovel
05-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Great as long as it is not sod with that green netting behind it it tills grass up good.You can also dig holes with it,edge with it,weed with it and lots of other stuff.
I actually did not look at the directions because they were confuseing me?So the first time I assembled it I put the handles on backwards..did not work that way at ALL!LOL!

Lux Lawn
05-13-2006, 12:39 PM
The Mantis is a great tool to have..once you get it all straightened out you will love it.

mcwlandscaping
05-13-2006, 06:10 PM
mantis is great!, i also didn't even bother with the instructions with my unit, more confusing than just doing it myself

Lawnworks
05-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Doesn't Stihl make a tiller like the mantis? The mantis looks like it is for homeowners.

lawnkid
05-14-2006, 10:05 PM
We love our Mantis tiller. It gets used almost every day in the spring whether for tight areas where the harley can't get when we're doing a new lawn, using it to edge, breakup edging clumps, weeding, or digging a hole. I think it is a tool that every landscaper should have on their trailer. We'll probably buy another soon.

J&R Landscaping
05-14-2006, 10:16 PM
I have a little craftsman tiller and it works good. I rented a mantis one time though and it definitly outperformed my craftsman. When the craftsman dies, a mantis will replace it for sure!
The new redmax tillers are pretty nice units as well! Very heavy duty!

stoneseller
05-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Doesn't Stihl make a tiller like the mantis? The mantis looks like it is for homeowners.

I've had a Mantis for about 6 years, and it's been great. Always fires up on the first or second pull. I've never 'winterized' it or even changed the spark plug. All in all, a great investment.

That said,

I just bought the Stihl unit a couple weeks back. Now THIS is a really NICE tool. More power. More comfortable feel. Nice long ergonomic handlebars. And very quiet compared to the Mantis. Stihl doe not offer the lifetime tines warrenty like Mantis, but the tines seem to be of comparable weight to the ones on the Mantis, which I never wore out.

My sister-in-law now has my Mantis, and she loves it. She thanked me profusely after using it last weekend. Says she doesnt know how she ever gardened without one:clapping: :clapping:

LawnScapers of Dayton
05-15-2006, 05:34 AM
I used my Mantis to dig footers for a concrete patio addition my father-in law was doing..........it was about 1' wide and 18" deep..... It worked like a champ....

Dogbonz
05-15-2006, 08:08 PM
And are there any other uses for them other than tilling?

Yep carving your Logo into the cust's lawn that still owes you for last months cut!:laugh:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!! I have a tiller attrachment for my Stick trimmer,,, I wouldnt want to do a real big area with it,, but it does come in handy for small stuff.

Shawns Lawns
05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
I have not tried the Mantis, but i do have the Honda FG100 Mini Tiller. I love the unit it perform excellent, i do not have anything to compare it to though. :waving: