PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a truck

Stafford Landscaping
05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
I'm looking for a truck a F-350 or a F-450 dump I would like a four door but will see anyway I was wondering if any of you guys would let me see your set up and tell me how it works. I have a F-350 now with a 12ft dump but I was thinking that the new truck would be used for pulling the mowing trailer
so the dump might not have to be 12ft maybe only 9 or 10ft I don't know just thinking If you guys could help I would appreciate it, Thanks

Scag48
05-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Do you need another dump? We just picked up an F450 with a 12 foot flatbed. Right now, it has 2 underbody boxes on each side, but I'm going to add at least 2 more highside boxes and a 90 gallon transfer tank. The truck came with a lift gate as well, but if I don't use it much I'm going to cut it off. This truck is for the excavation division as my support truck, but so we can haul wall blocks, excavator buckets, skid steer attachments, etc. on it as well. From now on, I don't think we'll buy another truck with a pickup body. Doesn't make sense to pay more for an XLT or Lariat as a work truck, so I'd stick with the XL and get a few power options. If you have a flatbed, you also reduce the amount of sheet metal surfaces that can get scratched and dented, so that's a plus as well.

Gravel Rat
05-11-2006, 10:55 PM
A F-450 is pretty much the minimum size you want nowwadays a F-350 has no carrying capacity. If you are going with a crew cab dump a 12' dump deck maybe a little long. You may want to go with a 10' dump box or bed a 8 foot bed is too short a 9' bed isn't any better a 10' really is the shortest you want to go if you want to carry two skids one behind the other.

I would only go with a crew cab if you really have to pack 5 guys if not a crew cab becomes a junk collector you end up carrying extra junk around in the cab that you don't need. The crew cab adds extra overall length and it takes away from the payload.

Scag I would prolly chop that power tail gate off I doubt you will ever use it what would work good for you is a small swing crane something that will lift 1000lbs or so. You can lift buckets on and off the truck etc something like this one www.autocrane.com/econo-ton.html

I'am looking for a newer F-450 debating do I want to spend the extra 4 grand for a 4x4 they are more expensive over a 2wd. I do need a 4wheeldrive but I may get away with running a good limited slip differential and traction tires.

From what I have gotten from talking to people with F-450 and F-550 4x4s is the trucks are so heavy they are usually sunk to the axles front and back. The front wheels are not enough to pull the rear wheels out of the hole they dug.

Scag48
05-11-2006, 11:24 PM
GR, I'd LOVE to chop that lift gate off, but my dad thinks it's the cat's balls. One of these days, I'll have an "accident" loading buckets onto the bed with the 312 and "accidentally" swipe the gate. :rolleyes:

Gravel Rat
05-12-2006, 12:20 AM
A lift gate is good for loading drums etc but for what you guys are doing its prolly eating up payload. Also to replace the hydraulic pump is 700 plus dollars and the 12 volt pump eats up batteries.

Ohwell you can't argue with your old man your just gonna have to accidently break it with the excavator :laugh: