PDA

View Full Version : Adding 1-2ft removable sides to trailer?

mow king
05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.belore-trailers.com/newtrailers/photos/trailers_019.jpg
What do I need to pickup from home depot to add removable 1ft or 2ft tall sides to this type of trailer?

Anyone have pictures of their own trailer after doing this?

Thanks!

BSDeality
05-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Cheap: get some 2x4's into those stake pockets and rip some sheets of plywood to the right height. voila, sides.

Better: have a welder make up some aluminum sides (light weight) to go into the stake pockets.

rfed32
05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
2x4's and plywood worked on my trailer not that type but it worked...or 2x4's and 2x6's a little bit stronger then the ply wood but a little more lbs also....but bsd had a good idea with the aluminum sides

chevytrucks84
05-11-2006, 11:46 PM
i used 2x4's and 2x12's all treated.... a little more expensive but much stronger, looks nicer and will last MUCH longer it costs about $100 to do my 18ft trailer (only infront of and behind wheel wells) If that is the trailer that you are putting the sides on i would complain to whoever built it that they 1. didn't put enough stake pockets and 2. they need to be near the ends of the trailer not in the middle. My trailer has a pocket every 2 feet

mow king
05-11-2006, 11:51 PM
i used 2x4's and 2x12's all treated.... a little more expensive but much stronger, looks nicer and will last MUCH longer it costs about $100 to do my 18ft trailer (only infront of and behind wheel wells) If that is the trailer that you are putting the sides on i would complain to whoever built it that they 1. didn't put enough stake pockets and 2. they need to be near the ends of the trailer not in the middle. My trailer has a pocket every 2 feet

Thats not my exact trailer. Mine does have stake pockets every 2ft, etc. I just found it easier to snag a pic offline then to run outside and take a picture.

do you have any pictures of the finished product?

Thanks

Scag48
05-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Depends on what you're doing with the trailer. I would assume you're hauling something other than mowing equipment, correct? If it's a mowing trailer, definately put sides on it. If you're hauling a tractor, skid steer, etc., no sides.

mow king
05-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Depends on what you're doing with the trailer. I would assume you're hauling something other than mowing equipment, correct? If it's a mowing trailer, definately put sides on it. If you're hauling a tractor, skid steer, etc., no sides.

95% of the time it's hauling a skidsteer or mini-ex, that is why I want removable sides....for when I haul mulch or this weekend for example I need to move some furniture, having sides on a trailer is necessary in those types of situations.

Scag48
05-12-2006, 12:04 AM
I would just make them out of wood so you can remove them easily. I wouldn't do anything permanent on an equipment trailer, having permanent sides would be a real killer trying to chain equipment down. For hauling mulch I suggest going at least 3 feet, if not 4 feet sides that way you can put quite a bit of mulch in there. It only weighs about 1,000 pounds per square yard, so you could technically put alot of mulch on a trailer like that.

chevytrucks84
05-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Thats not my exact trailer. Mine does have stake pockets every 2ft, etc. I just found it easier to snag a pic offline then to run outside and take a picture.

do you have any pictures of the finished product?

Thanks

i dont have a picture of it right now. If i have time this weekend i will try to take some pics and post them. Dont blame you for just getting a pic off the internet but i dont see why anyone would put those stake pockets the way they did????:hammerhead:

mow king
05-16-2006, 05:24 PM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/mgc9876/IM000782.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e146/mgc9876/IM000783.jpg

Still have to run out and a buy piece to go along the front, but this will do for the time being.

Thanks for the replies.