PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of gas now won't start Why?

MV Property Care
05-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Can anybody help. I have a quick 36 walk behind. It has a 16 hp Briggs ELS with electric start. This is the first time I have ran out of gas. Usually keep an eye on the tank. The battery is good. The ten amp fuse is good. You can see the fuel is in the line because of the clear case the fuel filter is in. When I turn the key it makes one click. Could this be a stuck solenoid? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. matt.

MowerMedic77
05-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Does this unit mower have an electric clutch? Were you cutting when it ran out of fuel? I have had many customer run out of gas while cutting and the mower stops they add fuel but never disengaged the blades and when they go to restart the safety circuit kicks in. Maybe just check this first before you get any further sometimes its the simple things that will drive you crazy.
Hope this helps:)

MV Property Care
05-13-2006, 12:24 PM
I do think it's something simple. The blades are disengaged when I try to start. I thought maybe it was vapor locked but it's getting fuel. I not sure what this is but there is a very small circular peice that makes a loud click just once when I try to start. It's not the starter, I think it must be a solinoid but I don't know (i'ts about 1 1/2" in diameter). It's a sealed solid device that can't be taken apart. I'm thinking there has to be something electronic in the fuel pump that says that there is no gas so it won't try to start. I guess i'm just grabbing straws right now. I will be checking back . Thanks.

dwlah
05-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Check your battery make sure it has a full charge
Then check the connections something could have worked loose/be corroded
Id bet its something simple since you werent having other problems
Just my .02

MowerMedic77
05-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Was hoping it would be simple but definitely check your battery voltage first.
The solenoid(round thing) needs to have 12 volts coming to it to engage the starter. Don't know if you have a DVOM to test with but it will make your testing much easier.