PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with coal tar/ water

Turf Troll
05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I would like to start seal coating driveways this year using water/coal tar sealer. Of course I want to keep the initial expense down till I get the rhythm of the business. I have looked at the plastic tanks would use them , but how do you keep the sand mixed. I definitely want to spray. Will anyone share some info?
I can either put something on a half ton pick up( that might be to light ) or small trailer. How and how often do you clean the tank out? So what would the way to get started with spraying but inexpensively.
Thanks

ChicagoSeal
07-03-2006, 11:08 PM
I would like to start seal coating driveways this year using water/coal tar sealer. Of course I want to keep the initial expense down till I get the rhythm of the business. I have looked at the plastic tanks would use them , but how do you keep the sand mixed. I definitely want to spray. Will anyone share some info?
I can either put something on a half ton pick up( that might be to light ) or small trailer. How and how often do you clean the tank out? So what would the way to get started with spraying but inexpensively.
Thanks

The only way I have ever heard of having a plastic tank mixed correctly and sand added into the sealer is as follows:

Put your additive (TSA or whatever your sealer recommends to use with sand) Into your tank. Take a strong drill (probably gonna need battery operated) and buy a metal mixer, one of those heavy duty ones. Put it on the drill and mix the tank with that, it will mix it up very nicely.

Next, fill a 5 gallon bucket up about 4 gallons full. Take the drill and mixer and mix up the bucket, all the while adding the right amount of sand for 4 gallons, mix for about twenty seconds, or until you feel it's evenly mixed. Make sure when the drill is going that you don't lift the mixer up in the air, otherwise you're going to have sealer all over the place.

So that's basically what you gotta do to mix in sand in a plastic tank.

In order to use sprayers you should get an agitated tank as well as a bunch of other stuff to go along with it. You need at least 1k for a decent setup, if you're very handy and thrifty you can do it cheaper of course, but don't cut corners, you will pay much sooner than later.

Hope that helps.

Turf Troll
07-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks ChicagoSeal,
I bought a plastic tank and pump system recieved it lastweek but there has been two weeks of rain. I'm going to practice it a little first.
Thanks for your reply
TurfTroll

PROCUT1
07-04-2006, 08:26 PM
What system did you get? The square 275 tank and the trash pump?