PDA

View Full Version : Case 430 / 440

atwoodmar
05-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Any downsides to buying the 2005-6 Case 430 or 440 series? I've heard that "Case's pilot controls" haven't been release yet, but the Servo-assist hand controls felt very good with 15-minutes of testing.

:confused: Any war stories? Durability is a key buying decision; the other contender is the comparably priced Cat 432B at around $28k

Tigerotor77W
05-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Are you comparing a Case skid-steer to a Cat backhoe loader? (432B is a backhoe loader... unless you meant the 232B, a skid steer?)

jazak
05-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Maybe he meant the 242B Cat skid steer?

Dirty Water
05-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, at $28k he is pricing the 232b most likely :)

I'll take 10 432B's for $28k :D

ksss
05-14-2006, 10:01 PM
I ordered a 440 which came in last week. Cab, ride control, two speed, hyd. QC it was about 34K. I will pick it up tomorrow if I have a chance. I thought the latest generation of the CASE controls (not including the pilots) is exceptional, very low effort and very responsive. The demo machine I ran last fall was lightening quick. I bought mine on a 3K hour extended warranty offer CASE was running last month. I am hoping it will be as dependable as my 70XT has been. The hydrualic components were changed from Eaton to Rex Roth and the engine is new, the two speed is new to this size machine. The cab has been updated. So there have been plenty of changes hopefully durability is still standard.

atwoodmar
07-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the tips.

ksss
08-01-2006, 11:59 PM
What did you end up with?

atwoodmar
08-02-2006, 05:08 PM
What did you end up with?

We bought a Case 420 package -- a demo machine with about 7 hours. The self-leveling feature was much more important than anticipated; also ride-control as a bonus, foot-throttle and the battery disconnect panel (lockable) in the engine compartment.

Curious - I think you mentioned Rex Roth made hydraulic pumps (at least in the 440 units) ... do you know who OEM's the diesels in the 400-series?

Tigerotor77W
08-02-2006, 07:48 PM
atwoodmar, out of curiosity, what made you pick the Case?

ksss
08-02-2006, 11:21 PM
The diesel engine is made by Iveco (spelling incorrect). The engine is a subsidary of CASE/Cummings. I really was not happy initially when I learned that the 3.9 would no longer be apart of the CASE skid steers. I have to say that I have not missed it. This new engine (in the 440) has better lugging ability and is better on fuel. It is quieter at idle but has a bizzare high pitched noise when running at full rpm. Over all it is a power house of an engine.

Tigerotor: He got the CASE because obviously the guy has class!:drinkup:

atwoodmar
08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
what made you pick the Case?

Tough decision to buy equipment and hoping to make the wise decision. In my Case, here are the key benefits:

1) Reliability and Maintainability factor-I decided that the Case 420/430/440 would be easily maintained and serviced in the future. The daily maintainance is one-stop shopping through open engine compartment. The ROPS-cab folds forward to access the engine, pumps and hydralic lines -- Case claims they are industry-best for quick service because of this feature and some other features.
Hopefully the expensive parts like turbo unit, engine component(s) and pumps/drives will be available at reasonable replacement costs in the future -- this is a bit of a gamble. Rumour has it that Cat part costs are guaranteed ... perhaps just an old wives' tale?

2) Hand-controls and foot-throttle-Case calls them low-effort servo controls, and they are very good.
Comfortable to operate, good machine control and also feel for the machine. Good power-to-the-wheels on the 56-hp CASE 420 (and even better on the 440 demonstrator).
Sidenote -- Cat controls are also good and those are actually an ISO-pattern pilot control. The Cat mechanic said he didn't see much failure with those controls either -- (but watch out for the tracks, he said!)

3) Financing/Cost-
Case promotion was 0% interest for the full 36-month term.
Warranty was extended to 36-month powertrain (12-month full warranty).
This made better sense for cash flow than spending a full $28k on the larger machine(s) now.

There are many good choices for equipment, but the Case was a classy pick as anyone with the Case ballcap will tell you (ballcap free with purchase of machine, what a deal).

Tigerotor77W
08-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the insight. :)

ksss
08-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I got jammed on the hat! They can give me two when my 465 gets here.

ksss
08-09-2006, 02:34 AM
They are quick to grease. When it comes to oil changes the CAT is easier. The good thing is the 400 series went to 500 hour oil changes so you wont have to change it very often. When you do, you have to remove the plate under the skid steer to remove the engine drain plug. Kinda sucks. Over the last 12 years which covers around 15 machines or so I have yet to replace any major component. I have had a couple of mufflers go south and a radiator but thats it. I wouldn't worry about having any of the major components fail at least until you get over the 5K hour range. I have seen 95XT's with over 10K hours with no major component failures. On another note the 400 series has a lot of new compenents in them. I hope they hold up as well.