PDA

View Full Version : do you think this is healthy

zim bob the landscaper
05-14-2006, 10:58 AM
here is a pic of a azalea bush and wondering how do you think it looks i think it looks good. also i dont know how to prune it. thanks

zim bob the landscaper
05-14-2006, 10:59 AM
sorry forgot to post the pic.

NNJLandman
05-14-2006, 11:24 AM
To prune all you havta do is take some hedge trimmers to it and shape it, very hardy bush, looks very healthy in the picture, you can tell because it is in full bloom and looks very full. Just take the hedge trimmers to it shape it, I would wait til the flowers fall off though.

Jeff

syzer
05-14-2006, 11:35 AM
That would be shearing it. I would not do that, an azalea does not look right pruned into a ball. I would take a pair of shears and selectively cut some branches to cut it back, but maintain its natural appearance. It is a healthy bush though.

jmurphy
05-14-2006, 12:33 PM
That would be shearing it. I would not do that, an azalea does not look right pruned into a ball. I would take a pair of shears and selectively cut some branches to cut it back, but maintain its natural appearance. It is a healthy bush though.
I second that. Just selective pruning.

phototropic1
05-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Well, after Jmurphy, I would THIRD that! Selective pruning only. Like said above, this means using a pair of hand clippers and pruning one branch at a time. But don't cut at indiscriminate points along branches. Always cut azalea branches back to a joint. Azaleas have a distinctive branching pattern in that they will send out 3 or more branches at one point, all growing relatively the same rate until one branch eventually assumes dominance and elongates past the others. Then at some point, that branch will in turn send out three or more branches at it's tip. And so on. If you prune the longer portions of the bush back into the canopy of the bush and at all times to a joint, the bush will not look like it was pruned, yet will be magically smaller. And you won't create maintenance nightmares that can ensue after shearing.

exmark01
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
my piont exactly!

Lawnworks
05-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah shearing it would be what lawn monkeys do. Hand prune the long stalks after it after it finishes blooming.

Excellent advice phototropic1.

bumper
05-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Two rules to always follow...prune crossing branches, prune the dead wood....then selectively cut back to a specific node depending upon the direction you desire the new growth...then dead head any spent growth. Shearing though doable is not what a trained horticulturalist would do

zim bob the landscaper
05-14-2006, 04:35 PM
i thought it was healthy i didnt know if it should have bloomed sooner or later. thanks for all the input guys.:waving:

South Florida Lawns
08-08-2007, 06:07 PM
I just use trimmers on it. I got no time to do selective pruning on all my properties. You can make azaleas nice with a trimmer and save a lot of time.

mexiking
08-14-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah theres nothing wrong with "shearing" it, It makes formal designs well, keep their formality...

cgland
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Well, I guess we can now see the difference between landscapers and lawn monkeys!

Chris

Kid With A Mower
08-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I just use trimmers on it. I got no time to do selective pruning on all my properties. You can make azaleas nice with a trimmer and save a lot of time.

WRONG!!! If you don't have the to do it right...don't do it. Any idiot could use a hedge trimmer to "garden", but it takes some know how to PROPERLY maintain a landscape. The right way would be to use hand clippers. Taking small branches all the way back to the trunk.

Well, I guess we can now see the difference between landscapers and lawn monkeys!

Chris

mexiking
08-14-2007, 09:46 PM
What is wrong with keeping a garden Formal? You can still trim out the dead parts besides using the hedge trimmers. I do both types of pruning depending of the landscape that I'm doing. Like I said theres nothing wrong with using the pruners to keep a landscape looking formal...

Eakern & Dog
08-14-2007, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE][What is wrong with keeping a garden Formal? You can still trim out the dead parts besides using the hedge trimmers. I do both types of pruning depending of the landscape that I'm doing. Like I said theres nothing wrong with using the pruners to keep a landscape looking formal...
/QUOTE]

Maybe so and it really is about personal preference after all. However, in my opinion an azalea is a shrub that looks best in it's natural growth pattern. If one wants a formal looking garden, then a boxwood or another type of shrub should be suggested. Most of the time it looks "tacky" when azaleas are boxed or rounded unnaturally .........unless they are the gumpo variety or naturally compact. I equate the boxing of azaleas with other types of maintenance practices that are done in an effort to reduce work such as crape murder and the topping off of trees. I can see how one would box the azalea if a customer wants a formal look, but again I think a different shrub would serve the "formal" look much better than the azalea.

mexiking
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE][What is wrong with keeping a garden Formal? You can still trim out the dead parts besides using the hedge trimmers. I do both types of pruning depending of the landscape that I'm doing. Like I said theres nothing wrong with using the pruners to keep a landscape looking formal...
/QUOTE]

Maybe so and it really is about personal preference after all. However, in my opinion an azalea is a shrub that looks best in it's natural growth pattern. If one wants a formal looking garden, then a boxwood or another type of shrub should be suggested. Most of the time it looks "tacky" when azaleas are boxed or rounded unnaturally .........unless they are the gumpo variety or naturally compact. I equate the boxing of azaleas with other types of maintenance practices that are done in an effort to reduce work such as crape murder and the topping off of trees. I can see how one would box the azalea if a customer wants a formal look, but again I think a different shrub would serve the "formal" look much better than the azalea.

Yeah but it still can be done and it can still look good, i've visited european countries and they do this type of pruning a lot. Souther american countries do this a lot too, I think it looks good if you can do it right...