PDA

View Full Version : converting tp flatbed and dually

Smitty58
05-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Looking for information on converting a srw pickup to a dually flatbed.
My truck is a 05 F-350 4x4 V-10 8 ft bed

Gravel Rat
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM
If you wanted a dually flatdeck you should have bought a short wheelbase F-350 cab and chassis. What you want to do is nuts with a almost brandnew truck.

Trade the truck in on a F-350 cab and chassis then you have the heavier springs and the proper chassis to put a flatdeck on.

Canon Landscaping
05-14-2006, 03:13 PM
just find a wrecked 1 ton or buy the axle and springs they will bolt right on i did it to a 89 dodge 250 diesel you have to put spacers on the front and get all different wheels if you could find a salvage yard that would take your axle and springs in on trade that would be best but i agree with the other guy i wouldn't do it to a new truck like that.

Smitty58
05-15-2006, 12:33 AM
My truck IS a 350, so how is trading it in on a dually cab/chassis helping anything? I am considering trading for a 06 cab/chassis ,but only if it makes more financial sense. I don't really need a dually ,but the flatbed would be handy. I can swap the beds for about $1000 ,and then just keep the p/u bed in case I want to trade it in later and put the bed back on.

hosejockey2002
05-15-2006, 12:58 AM
The F350 SRW pickup and the F350 dually cab and chassis are different animals. Your F350 SRW is virtually identical to an F250 except for a spacer block, the F350 emblem and a bigger number on the GVWR sticker. With an F350 DRW cab and chassis you have heavier springs and frame, and most importantly the frame is straight to facilitate installing a flatbed on. If you did all this to your pickup, you would still have the lighter frame. Another huge issue is when the time comes to sell it, if the buyer runs the VIN they will know that the truck is supposed to be a SRW pickup and not a dually flatbed. You'll be thousands ahead by trading your truck in.

oldrustycars
05-15-2006, 04:52 PM
besides it looks goofy to have dual rear wheels, the then the regular single style wheels in front. that would mean you'd have to use new hubs, rotors and brakes in front as well. plus the wheels and tires. another "NO" vote here.

Scag48
05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Plus, if you modded that SRW F350 to convert to a dually, your warranty would be gone. Sell the truck, cut your losses, and buy the right truck for the job.

jazak
05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
He can do it he just has to do it right and put out a little money:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Randy J
05-15-2006, 07:19 PM
For once I agree with Gravel, and most everyone else posting here. To convert your truck to a dually - and do it right will require a considerable sum of money and effort. Most certainly not worth it. However, if you want a flat bed, than I see no reason not to do that. I personally don't like the looks of flatbeds on SRW trucks, but that's purely a personal preference.

Smitty58
05-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Thanks everyone, I didn't realize all the differences between my F-350 and a cab/chassis 350. I think I'll look at trading it for a dually cab/chassis.

sunray
05-16-2006, 01:09 AM
I have recently converted my 75 gmc one ton to duals.
I used arrowcraft adapters for the front and back, looks just like a true dually. I also updated front and back springs with new heavier springs from Eaton spring company. They are right ,it is very spendy to do this kind of conversion. You have to really love the truck!
Although I have had alot of good comments on this old truck.

sunray
05-16-2006, 01:24 AM
I forgot to say to anyone needing to replace springs on your truck, dealing with Eaton spring was a great experience. The parts, springs, and new u bolts fit better than the originals. As for arrowcraft, great company same experience with their products. I was weary, but they both warrantied the parts. These are two really good companies to deal with!
Don't forget to mention your company name, they will treat you right.