PDA

View Full Version : Termites in mulch???

stumped
05-14-2006, 08:04 PM
I went to get some mulch and this guy comes over to me and says, "I'd be careful buying mulch this year. They cut up all those downed trees from Katrina and they were full of termites, I wouldn't want to be putting termite infested mulch next to my house."
Is this guy nuts? :dizzy: I wanted to get some red cedar, termites can't make it through the coloring process can they??:confused:

Travel'n Trees
05-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Bugs, and termites come with having mulch, Katrina or not. Just Katrina stuff is worse.

TWUllc
05-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Don't sweat it. Just get to know your supplyer.

lugnut#6
05-14-2006, 09:35 PM
they're referring to the Formosa termite we have down here.

bad lil critter...

i don't believe,but don't quote me,that they will survive that far north.they came from the Asian tropics.japan,Guam,the Philippians etc.they like warm weather and if the ground freezes,which doesn't happen here,it may kill them.

i wouldn't worry to much about em in new york.but use your own best judgment.

lawnspecialties
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I think it was my most recent "Landscape & Irrigation" magazine had an article on this very subject. To make a long story short, this has been a fairly big urban legend spreading around the internet. :)

Duck Dodger
05-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Not to get too far off topic but does anyone really ship mulch from the gulf coast all the way to ny. I think that would be pricy.

Travel'n Trees
05-16-2006, 01:12 AM
It is in K.C..

stumped
05-16-2006, 05:41 PM
I did some checking on the open net, you're right it is out there.
According to those spreading the rumor, it's being sold to the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.
Don't buy mine there so I'm probably good to go, Thanks.

hosejockey2002
05-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Not to get too far off topic but does anyone really ship mulch from the gulf coast all the way to ny. I think that would be pricy.

That BS urban legend came through the Pacific NW a few months ago. I immediately knew it was BS because of shipping costs. Around here I can get a pallet of bagged mulch for $81. You can fit 24 pallets on a 48 foot flatdeck semi trailer. So, that whole truckload of mulch is only worth $1944. It costs a heck of a lot more than that to get a truck to go from the Gulf coast to the Pacific NW. Even if the mulch was shredded, bagged and palletized at no cost, they would have to sell it for much more that the local stuff to make it pencil out.

lawnspecialties
05-16-2006, 10:02 PM
From what I can recall from the article, there are some fairly tight restrictions on things like this and getting stuff like mulch out of that area. Not that the Katrina stuff has been too organized.

But hey, if this story gets big enough, maybe the homeowners will be too frightened to buy Lowe's or Home Depot stuff and call their local LCO.payup

stumped
05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Lawnspecialties
Never thought of it in those terms, buy what the hey, better for us right!!!:hammerhead:

Coreyb
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
termites live in a colony. if the colony is destroyed, no more termites. this is all a myth and scare tactic. i'm sure a few termite workers might survive the process, and the trip, but without a colony, they are almost useless.

Travel'n Trees
05-18-2006, 04:35 AM
It's alot easier to steer people to rock, Katrina or not mulch helps bugs, and termites and is so expensive in the long run.

Something D
05-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Katrina termites is a myth like others mentioned. Anytime you are suspicious of anything on the internet go to snopes.com. You'd be amazed what you see on there.

stumped
05-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Do any of you use the rubber chip stuff? Does the color last, and does it hold the moisture as well?

Coreyb
05-20-2006, 08:43 PM
i've looked in to the rubber stuff.. it does have a color guarantee, i think it 5 or 10 years. it's expensive, but looks good.