PDA

View Full Version : 8'-10' White Pines

MJM landscaping
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
This lady calls me says she just bought 8 8'-10' white pines. They weigh probably 700 lbs. She bought them so the nursury will cover the warranty. Usually I charge double the cost of the plants. They cost $300. a piece. With no warranty I was thinking about $200 each tree. I need to plant,stake, and mulch. Think thats a far price?

Dreams To Designs
05-15-2006, 07:09 AM
If you only charge double the price of the plants, and you warranty them, every plant that dies costs you money in labor. Typically 2.5 to 3 times is more appropriate for installations with warranty. In this case, charge just the labor portion without the plant price and warranty. You are also losing out on any material markup you may have had. You should also bill out any materials you may use and the labor to install that material, like compost or stakes.

Kirk

Larry Davis
05-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Kinda off the topic but, I find it interesting how different things are from one area of the country to another. Here you've got a lady that spent $300 apiece for white pines and will be paying you at least $200 apiece to plant them, while here in the Smokies people wouldn't give you $5.00 for a white pine! As a matter of fact, most of us would pay you to take ours! Last year I met a couple who own and operate a tree nursery in Indiana and was really surprised when they told me their biggest seller is white pine.

Anyway, sorry to butt in on your thread.

MJM landscaping
05-15-2006, 12:51 PM
I know right there are already way to many damn pines in maine. I should be cutting more down not planting new ones.