PDA

View Full Version : Thickness of pavers

dtelawncare
05-15-2006, 03:43 AM
I installed my own sidewalk with paver stones and it turned out well. I have to give a estimate to a potential customer for putting down pavers for a driveway. How thick do the pavers have to be for a driveway. I was thinking the 45mm should be strong enough. I know the how to part of this, I am just not sure of the strength of the pavers.

Dreams To Designs
05-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Are you using interlocking concrete pavers? A typical interlocking concrete paver is 2.4", 2 3/8" or 60mm, and they are fine for driveways. If you have an extreme duty application, there are some thicker pavers, almost 3" thick. For a driveway, you should install a minimum of 15" of compacted base material.

Kirk

dtelawncare
05-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks Dreams, I am not sure about the actual style cutomer may want. She wants me to get a couple prices together for her. I judst didn't know if the 45mm was enough. I will definately only look at the 60mm. Her original plan was to have me install the 24 inch square stepping stones. I explained that they would crumble as soon as the first tire hit them. She told me to get the prices together for the required pavers.

Dreams To Designs
05-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Stepping stones are good for stepping on, not driving. You need quality interlocking concrete pavers, a thick, well compacted base and edging that will sustain vehicular traffic. If they think the drive doesn't have to be built for trucks, think again. Package delivery trucks, septic pump trucks, mulch or stone deliveries or a moving van can destroy a poorly installed driveway. If you build it, build it right.

Kirk

AztlanLC
05-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Make sure the ratio is between 3:1 and 4:1 (overall lenght / thickness)

Travel'n Trees
05-18-2006, 03:32 AM
80 mm do not cost much more. Be safe than sorry.