PDA

View Full Version : dot numbers

mole
05-15-2006, 09:51 AM
What is the website for the free dot numbers for the northeast. I just did a search but could not find it. I know I have untill july to get them before i start getting fined. I can't beleave I have to get them. my truck and trailer will put me at 11k.

carcrz
05-15-2006, 11:10 AM
Any time you are going commercial you need to have dot numbers. You will also need to have a cdl license. I forget what class though - think it's E.

C.T. Lawn Care
05-15-2006, 12:03 PM
You do not need a CDL until your vehical is 26,000#'s, but you do need a DOT Physical Card. You can pick it up at any doctors office!

jacob land and
05-15-2006, 12:46 PM
do you actually have to get a physical to get the DOT Physical Card?

Scag48
05-15-2006, 03:43 PM
Why would you need a DOT physical if you don't have/aren't getting a CDL?

J&R Landscaping
05-15-2006, 03:54 PM
You only need DOT numbering if your pulling a trailer that weighs more than 10,000 lbs right; or did I miss something?

oldrustycars
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
if your trailer is RATED for, or actually WEIGHS more than 10,000 pounds you must have a class a CDL. an empty trailer, with a plate stating it will weigh more than 10,001 pounds loaded, towed by an S10 pickup will require a class a cdl. look at your states web site for CDL info...its the same for all 50 states. and you need a DOT medical card also. i get mine at an industrial clinic. they are all over, usually companies send employees there for drug tests or after an injury. costs me $45 every 2 years. your doctor can also do it, for $300. its very simple..blood pressure, eyesight, hearing, piss in a cup. these are fedarl regulatiions, dont tell me "not in my state", it is in your state. they may not enforce it well, but its the law. and just my opinion, but if you cannot pass the CDL A test, and the physical, you shouldnt be driving a truck and trailer.

Scag48
05-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Everyone screws up the 10,001 trailer law, it's a combination. If you're driving an F550 with a GVWR of 22,000 pounds towing a 12,000 pound trailer, you DO NOT need a CDL.

If you are driving a dump truck with a GVWR of 33,000 (over 26,001) pulling a 12,000 GVWR trailer, you need a CDL. The trailer law is a combination law, therefore if your tow vehicle GVWR does not exceed 26,001 regardless of trailer you don't need a CDL.

I'm pretty sure this is the same across the US, but in WA state that's how it is here. I was unclear about the law until I read through the book, working on getting my CDL right now.

mole
05-15-2006, 05:39 PM
if your truck and trailer combo weigh more than 10k in (ny state) your states may be different. we just had a semiar on this at our local lesco dist. but i lost the paper work. I don't know where you guys get the cdl class a I have one and Its for big rigs 18 wheelers. Class b is for dumpers and trailer,box trucks.

texas
05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
:) in la if you have a trailer/truck combo over 10000gvwr but under 26000gvwr you need a class d. you dont need to take a test though. you just sign up.

carcrz
05-15-2006, 08:00 PM
I KNOW that in Missouri, at least, if you are driving a commercial vehicle, regardless of size, you need to have a class E license. I wouldn't have one if I wasn't required to. As soon as the signs go on a vehicle you gotta have one.

Boonman
05-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Alrighty folks. Check it out Here: http://www.dot.state.ny.us/markingregsnotice100504.pdf It clearly states that by July 5, 2006, if your GCWR, that's COMBINED weight rating, exceeds 10,001#, you need a USDOT #. I do not know how it is Elsewhere, but I think it is all the same now. Remember, this is for commercial people only. In NY, every pickup that carries ANYTHING in the bed, has to be registered with commercial plates. Although you don't need to be a commercial business. Anyways, there have been some liscense changes as well. Here they are:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/ncdlc.htm It states, that if you haul a trailer over 10K, your GCWR cannot be over 26K. HOWEVER, you need to pass a written test to obtain a "W" endorsement, which is stated in this document here:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv14in.pdf
There still remains the fact that Federal regulations state that you NEED a USDOT number on any vehicle with a GCWR over 10K. And you can bet that being where you are, (the original poster in this thread) you will be getting hassled by DOT. You are in the guantlet. DOT is rampant in the Amherst, WIlliamsville, Clarence area. I run all through there, and they do pull you over. I have my DOT number, it isn't on the trucks yet though. I don't have to have it on untill July5. Although, if they look closely enough, I do, because my GVWR is 11K on one ofthe trucks I just re-registered for more weight. Check your registration, and see what the weight is. I looked at one for the F-250, and it was tagged at 7500. The truck ALONE weighs 8750. Illegal, and they will writey ou for it. it doesn't necesarily matter what the Manufacturer states the weight rating is, more so what you register it for. Pay the $$, and register it for the weight you may carry. The tickets and the hassle isn't worth it. Also, make SURE that you DON'T have any fuel cans on the trailer. Get them bad boys in the truck. THey will write you for that. Make sure the mowers are strapped. Everything secure. NOTHING can be loose. Even with mesh sides on an open trailer. If you have a dump trailer, the load needs to be tarped. If you have a skid loader, although you may not need it with a piece of equipment under 10K, use 4 seperate attachment points. They like to see it. The less you can give them to be pissed about, the less chance you have of getting a ticket. It is going to be brutal this year. They are coming after the landscapers. I have seen ALOT of crews running single axle trailers, which are obviously overloaded, bent axles and all, behind 1/2 ton trucks. If they see something obviously overloaded, they will still pull you over, even though you may not be in the over 10K range.

MMLawn
05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Alrighty folks. Check it out Here: http://www.dot.state.ny.us/markingregsnotice100504.pdf It clearly states that by July 5, 2006, if your GCWR, that's COMBINED weight rating, exceeds 10,001#, you need a USDOT #. I do not know how it is Elsewhere, but I think it is all the same now. .

NO, NO, NO! It is NOT the same in every state. As a matter of fact there are only a handful of states that require it as NY does.

There still remains the fact that Federal regulations state that you NEED a USDOT number on any vehicle with a GCWR over 10K.

NO!!!!! Absolutely this info is INCORRECT! The Federal Law ONLY APPLIES to INTERSTATE Commercial Commerce. Interstate meaning, State To State......crossing state lines. It does NOT apply to Intrastate travel.....meaning traveling in your state only.

There is a very lenthy thread on here if you search where I posted ALL of the FEDERAL DOT Laws. Everyone should look at it esp you new guys to LS that are giving out incorrect info and scaring some of these folks to death.

As to the original poster of this thread Yes, your State of NY is one of the handful of states that require a local DOT Number. Your number would be state specific and will have a "NY" in the number I do believe.

ALSO, remember if you apply for a Federal DOT number and you didn't really need it ou have just "screwed" yourself in that you now MUST comply with ALL Federal and State DOT regs including, Phys Card, Daily Log sheets/Records, DOT Stickers, ALL of the required extra safety equipment, etc.

CutRight
05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
you only need dot numbers in connecticut if your GVWR or GCWR is over 18,000#s .

So....looks like the dot number laws are different in the states. but CDL should be the same across the country

and CDL isnt defined by what type of truck (18 wheelers, box trucks etc.)

CDL classes are defined by weights

search CDL on this site and you'll find me explaining this a million times.

Boonman
05-16-2006, 08:42 AM
The "local" DOT # is merely a USDOT # with "NY" tagged on at the end of it. And of course it is required to cross state lines. Intrastate, you can play "stupid" with DOT and usually come out with a warning. It's not that the posted info was incorrect, just left out the intrastate vs. interstate part. Also, in NY, you need a physical card if you are driving a commercial vehicle for a commercial purpose in the proper weight category. And while there are only the handful now, it's coming to all states eventually. It's just the beginning. And it will take a bit.

br549oicu8
05-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Our local DOT Officer stopped and visited with us about what is required in Kansas. We were told that if the combined GVW of the truck and trailer together exceeds 10,000 lbs a DOT number and registration is required. If a single vehicle (truck) is over 25,000 lbs. or a trailer itself is over 10,000 lbs a CDL is required. Hate that trailer one......

mosmgras
05-24-2006, 02:01 AM
In NC you have to have DOT numbers if your GVWR (tow vehicle) is 10,001 pounds or more and you cross state lines. This only applies to vehicles used for commercial purposes. This is what I was told at the NCDMV office in Charlotte, NC when I registred my 1999 NPR (12,000 lb. GVWR). I have several accounts in SC, so I applied for DOT registration.

stroker51
05-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Our local DOT Officer stopped and visited with us about what is required in Kansas. We were told that if the combined GVW of the truck and trailer together exceeds 10,000 lbs a DOT number and registration is required. If a single vehicle (truck) is over 25,000 lbs. or a trailer itself is over 10,000 lbs a CDL is required. Hate that trailer one......

This is what pisses me off about the whole thing, dunno about nationwide, but here in KS, depending on who you talked to, you get different answers. Myself and 2 other landscapers/lco's had an actual KCC Special Investigator come out to my shop and explain everything that applied to us in detail. First off, each state can accept the Federal DOT regs, which KS did in 2001. I had a 14K dump trailer at the shop that day and asked him about that. I pull it with an F250 PSD, so he added the GVWR of my truck, 8880 # plus the 14K, and since he came out under 26K, NO CDL REQUIRED I could pull this same trailer w/ a F350 and not have to worry about it neither. Now, if I would hook up any 14K trailer to a F450 (15K truck) I would need a Class A CDL, but not air brake endorsements. Now, a guy that I work with got stopped in Olathe pulling a 20K trailer with his 1 ton dually, and he had his CDL, but the got him for having no DOT #'s or updated med. card. The only way I found to clear this all up was to meet w/ this special investigator, and he basically told us that if we would get stopped, so long as they could see that we were at least trying to comply, we would probably be ok. What we need to do is start a nationwide uprising against these stupid DOT laws. But until then, i guess just try to comply.

PLM-1
05-26-2006, 12:51 AM
I KNOW that in Missouri, at least, if you are driving a commercial vehicle, regardless of size, you need to have a class E license. I wouldn't have one if I wasn't required to. As soon as the signs go on a vehicle you gotta have one.

I don't think that is correct. I got stopped on 435 by the motor carrier. I do not have a cdl and wasn't told i needed one. I do however have DOT numbers. I also don't have a medical card.

carcrz
05-26-2006, 01:56 AM
I too got stopped on 435, while driving an emergency respose HAZMAT truck, but got a ticket for not having a CDL on a marked vehicle.

carcrz
05-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Blue Van???

PLM-1
05-26-2006, 02:05 AM
Blue Van???

Nope, white Ford Econoline.