PDA

View Full Version : Renting a hydroseeder in CT

2004F550
05-15-2006, 10:50 PM
My fire company just built a new firehouse and we need to landscape....we have got two MTL 's from bobcat of CT for free (know ppl) and rockrakes to prepare it but we decided we would like to use a hydroseeder because of the slopes...we contacted United Rentals and they have a 300 gallon model...they will charge us the one day rate for memorial day weekend....we can't afford to hire the local LCO with his so this seems the best route...my questions are for those that know......where do we buy the mulch? what else do we it need? what things to look out for when hydroseedering for techniques?...im assuming its a jet since its a small model but I don't know...any help would be appreicated....wish we had the money to pay the guy who has the right machine etc but no $$ left ...thanks for the help

CutRight
05-15-2006, 10:57 PM
you should be able to pick up everything you need at the Lesco in Avon. That one should be closest to you i believe. They're only wholesale, no retail, but with you're fire department I'm sure you can get in. Don't bother trying to use the Lesco website its useless, just get directions and take a trip down there.

scagwildcat
05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
i dont deal in hydro seeding, but i think that agway/ blue seal in torr. might have the products you need....

2004F550
05-15-2006, 11:16 PM
thanks guys..i have an account with agway..ill have to check it out...i know where lesco is too, never thought of that....ill check it out too

rklawnmowing
05-15-2006, 11:20 PM
my dad does hydroseeding, and your gonna want tachdefier, not sure if thats the right spelling but its a white powdered stuff that holds everything onto hills so it doesn't get washed out, and you need about 1 bail of mulch for 300gallon tank, my dads is 500 gallons, put starter fertalizer in the tank when mixing it, let it mix for at least 5-10 mins before using it, get the recycled newspaper for mulch its the best. i think 1 50lb bag of seed to a tank should do it. oh soak the seed in water the night before your gonna spray. the hydroseed should be dark green when your spraying it, and break up the much bails really good. if you have the hose, your gonna want two people one guy to spray and another to move the hose out of that guys way. oh don't worry about the prep job too much, my dad has grass growing in the bed of his truck in 1cm of dirt on a piece of wood, and he has grass growing on the hydroseeder trailer too, and theres even some in his truck, that stuff will grow on anything.

Mike33
05-15-2006, 11:39 PM
I own a hydro seeder and i am a vol. firefighter. I know where you are coming from when it comes to money. There are 2 ways to hydro seed, the 1 step method everthing is mixed in tank and applied at 1 time grass seed, lime, fertlizer, mulch, tac, and growth stimulant. the other way is 2 step apply everything except mulch by hand blow straw then use paper mulch and tac thru seeder to hold down straw. I use 1 step method but i use 70-30 wood blend much and you need a mechanical machine to due this effective jets will not pup a thick slurry. Paper mulch is not as good due to it can leave a hard crust and hamper germination. The wood blend works well and can hold the moisture better. I only reccm. paper to hold down straw. I apply 8-10 lb. of seed per k- 8 lbs starter fertlizer, 5lb. of profile neutra lime, 50lb. wood blend much , and 1 lb. of tac all per 1000 sq'. Check out my web site www.bobcatservice33.com call me for any further information. Try searching profile products they will lists dealers and can ship to you.
mike

CAG
05-15-2006, 11:54 PM
if i were you i would put the lawn in by hand.. use the erosion blankets if the hills are big or go a little heavier on the straw. the reason i say this if you never used a hydro seeder before the first time u spray you probably wont have great results..

CutRight
05-15-2006, 11:59 PM
i somewhat agree with CAG. Lesco also sells the erosion sheets for growing grass on slopes. i have no idea what the prices are, although i do have the catalouge sitting out in my truck. but its dark and cold outside. You may end up cheaper in the long run just buying a few bags of seed, a few rolls of the erosion fabric and doing it by hand. but its up to you.

2004F550
05-16-2006, 12:05 AM
yea i have some hay mat from others jobs to use, were gonna need it for sure...i suggested we just use my brillion seeder but they are set on the hydroseeding so we'll see how it goes...thanks for the help guys

Planet Landscaping
05-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Any questions you can call my cell @ 206-3896, I am the Vice President Of the Hydroseeder association with many years of experience.:weightlifter: Lesco would be a good bet for all supplies.:usflag:

Mike33
05-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Any questions you can call my cell @ 206-3896, I am the Vice President Of the Hydroseeder association with many years of experience.:weightlifter: Lesco would be a good bet for all supplies.:usflag:
Very nice website! I could not agree with you any more of new lawn install care. I had a guy i hydr seeded a lawn 1 month ago and here in Md. until this weekend we had a drought, called me about his lawn not growing like it should have. I gave him detailed inst. just like you stated and guess what? His yard was so dry the soil actually had cracks in it, and he said he was watering. I told him he was not following my directions and then he stated he only watered a few times.
Mike
www.bobcatservice33.com

Planet Landscaping
05-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Thank U for the kind words about our website:rolleyes: . Oh ya the :hammerhead: "I watered it every day and it still aint growing":hammerhead: Kinda folk, Gotta love em:nono: .:usflag:

EA Quinn
05-16-2006, 01:20 PM
we just got a tractor trailer load of fiber from lesco. If you are renting a finn with a mechanical agitator dont run strictly paper. we run a 70/30 wood blend. if you need a quote give us a call but it seems you are already set on renting and doing it yourselves. best of luck.

lawnkid
05-16-2006, 08:31 PM
We've been hydroseeding for a couple years and I'd be more than happy to give you a few helpful hints along with what the guys have already mentioned. We get all our tank ingredients at JMD Company but you have to order in bulk or they usually don't sell to you so your best bet would be to go to Lesco. We use Applegate wood fiber mulch instead of paper for the same reasons Mike33 mentioned. We have a large 1200 gallon truck mounted Finn hydroseeder but I see you are using a 300 gallon which will only cover around 3500 sq. ft. so you're gonna need to refill a couple times I'm sure. Since we like to dees heavt, in our tanks we usually use 9-11lbs per 1k sq. ft.of our own seed mix along with one 50lb bag of wood fiber mulch, 9 lbs. per 1k square foot of 19-19-19 all pupose fertilizr for quick release, tack and sometimes lime if necessary. We have a permits through the counties we work in to use fire hydrants to fill our tanks and every month we get a bill for the amount we use so with you being a firefighter you may be able to get water for free. When we seed hills we usually add some erosion control products and then cap the yard off by respraying the lawn heavily from the tower. Depending on how far away from the seeder you will be seeding, you will need at least two people, usually 1 guy on the hose, 1-2 people carrying the hose and another in the truck moving along. Whenever we seed hills, we usually hydroseed them first, and depending on the slope of the hill we may even staple down an erosion control blanket for an insurance policy because with a heavy rainfall kiss your seeding good bye. If you need anything else, lemme know.