PDA

View Full Version : First landscaping job

veltenslawncare
05-16-2006, 12:57 PM
A lady wants me to make the front of her landscaping look the same as this. This is the picture she gave me sizes are near identical. As well as style of house. How much would you guys bid. I was thinking around $1200-1800

MJM landscaping
05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
What is in the front of the house now? Is it a new build?

Splicer
05-16-2006, 07:37 PM
What does the front of her house look like now? Without that almost impossible to give you an accurate price...

veltenslawncare
05-17-2006, 10:07 PM
it is just dirt a new build.

jameson
05-17-2006, 11:11 PM
I would be asking the client WHY she wants THAT look? The pictures are a bit dark on my screen (looks like boxwoods/junipers/arborvitae -BORING), but, OY...enough with the edwardscissorhandesque look. It aint natural! It is harsh and does nothing to add to the house, soften it up. Use the foliage, the color and natural texture of the plant material for contrast. Put down the shears and pick-up the secateurs.

James

JJLandscapes
05-18-2006, 12:12 AM
I would be asking the client WHY she wants THAT look? The pictures are a bit dark on my screen (looks like boxwoods/junipers/arborvitae -BORING), but, OY...enough with the edwardscissorhandesque look. It aint natural! It is harsh and does nothing to add to the house, soften it up. Use the foliage, the color and natural texture of the plant material for contrast. Put down the shears and pick-up the secateurs.

James

You give the customers what they want or you dont get paid.... its not ur house u know

but what he should do is give an estimate on that picture slighty higher than what he really would charge and then design something different with colors and everything you said for a little higher price and see if she changes her mind

veltenslawncare
05-18-2006, 05:14 PM
she is a lady about the age of 70-75, she like gardening work but cant reach high or anything, she would rather have taller shrubs, and pom pons poodles etc, but she wants low maintenance plants that arent to high so that she can still prune them.

jameson
05-18-2006, 08:28 PM
You give the customers what they want or you dont get paid.... its not ur house u know

Horsefeathers! Your the professional. You KNOW what is best. If you do not KNOW, stick to mowing.

topsites
05-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Horsefeathers! Your the professional. You KNOW what is best. If you do not KNOW, stick to mowing.

I agree if for no other reason than the rocks are a killer, they are not cheap to buy and they are a pain to install. Meanwhile, the rest of the plants you will not get exactly in those sizes and shapes and if you do, omg you're going to look long and hard and those BIG bushes (thou I only see one or two) can run several hundred dollars, each! I would guess 150 for that cone-shaped fir-looking thing, but it could be 200, 300, maybe even 600 if it's a rare tree, I don't know.

So, I would see about edging it real nice and mulching it, forget the rocks for now. Then, plant some hardy, moderate growth bushes such as azaleas and maybe a holly, those blue things would be ground junipers which are very nice, and sure you can put a boxwood in there as well and if you want to go nuts you could get a Rhododendron. But you have to also check and see if this an all-sun, partial sun, or NO sun area because different plants have different requirements. Certainly a trip by Home Depot or a nursery would be helpful to give you some ideas and prices, also you can read the labels for the requirements and growth patterns, care, etc, etc...)

Either way, you can do this the hard way or the easy way... The easy way, I'd quote a few hundred (400 maybe 6, depends mostly on price of plants and mulch, you'd need about 2 cubes of mulch) and it would look nice and I'd be done with it all in less than a full day. The hard way, why since the sky's the limit how much money do you think your customer has?

veltenslawncare
05-19-2006, 03:38 PM
its not a money issue, just do it how she wants it

mexiking
05-20-2006, 08:31 PM
eww it's ugly how she wants it, I would suggest my own design instead of that...