PDA

View Full Version : Windsor 351 engine in a mid 90s Isuzu NPR?

yardscaper
05-16-2006, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to put a 1986 Windsor 351 engine out of a Ford F150 into a 90s model Isuzu NPR. I have run across the engine that an employee of mine has in a truck that is wrecked, but the engine just received a full rebuild prior to the wreck with only 600 miles on it. The truck received damage to the frame from a side impact.

The Isuzu NPR is an automatic transmission with a blown 5.2L turbo diesel engine that another local landscaper has for cheap. I believe the engine is locked up due to an employee that hit the oil pan with re-bar and never checked until it was too late!! I already own a 1986 Isuzu NPR with the 3.9L turbo diesel, so I am familiar with the trucks. I was just curious if anyone has done this and how hard it would be. The engine and truck together would be an investment of just over $1,400.00. The truck is a stake dump and is complete and working besides the engine. Just seeing what everyones thoughts are.

Thanks,
Bill

oldrustycars
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
do you have emissions testing in your area? that whould put an end to the project. im assuming you'd be using the trans from the ford as well, im sure theres no kit to go ford to whatever the trans is. im guessing the engine is fuel injected? you'd need the ECU and the entire harness from the ford, plus get a fuel pump inside the fuel tank...this sounds worse the more i think about it. maybe look into what it would take to overhaul the isuzu engine.

hosejockey2002
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm sure it is possible, but practical? You're talking different just about everything, like cooling, electrical, fuel system, motor mounts, transmission, exhaust and I'm sure some other stuff. Besides, that engine is a gas guzzling gutless pig. My dad had one in an F250 and it was slow as a slug and burned more gas than a 460. I know a rebuilt Isuzu is expensive, but probably cheaper than what you have in mind. If you like the idea of a gas Isuzu, they started putting small block Chevy engines in them in the mid '90s.

Gravel Rat
05-17-2006, 01:57 PM
The easiest option is put a rebuilt diesel back in soon as you start changing things around with a gas pot its going to cost money.

Things to think about

New fuel lines
New fuel tank
New drive shaft
Manufacture motor mounts
Build new exhaust system
You will have to try custom build a hydroboost system (Brakes)
You will have to make a new wiring harness
Will the engine physically fit under the cab
Cooling system

What you may figure is cheap will turn out to be double what a rebuilt diesel would be. What is blown with the diesel ?

yardscaper
05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I believe he told me that the old engine seized up and has a bent crankshaft and a cracked block. This truck also has nearly 200,000 miles on it, so the engine was getting up there in age. I may just look at some rebuilt diesels for it. I just threw this idea out there to see if there was any real point in pursuing it.

Thanks for the replies!:cool2: