PDA

View Full Version : step with retaining wall block & flagstone walk

bobcatnj
05-16-2006, 09:55 PM
im thinking about doing a retaining wall step with 6 in block with a flagstone walkway. never done those 2 combos before. anyone have any pics?

Mike33
05-16-2006, 10:42 PM
What do you mean ? Are you building a wall with steps in it or just building steps with blocks?
Mike

bobcatnj
05-17-2006, 07:21 AM
building steps with blocks (anchor country manner 6in) then i was going to do a flagstone walkway from it

Mike33
05-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Okey, i cant help you much i hate steps! I have over 100 srw and only a few steps i try everry way to talk the customer out of them. They are a pain , expensive, and time cousuming. Im not sure i would use a 6' block for steps i would fine a block syatem as close as to a standard step as possible. Remember people falls on steps that are not a standard size whether they are smaller or larger.
mike

Pavers Plus
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
6" block are good for steps..... As long as you are building your wall and steps at the same time, you can tie both together. Then when you put a 3" cap on the block (for the steps), you will get a 6" rise...

not sure if this is the best example of a wall with steps, but you can see here I used Country Manor 6" block. I was not happy that they changed the caps for a year where they went from 1 size cap to the 3 size cap as shown in the picture, but there is a 6" step regardless.

Mike33
05-19-2006, 10:44 PM
6" block are good for steps..... As long as you are building your wall and steps at the same time, you can tie both together. Then when you put a 3" cap on the block (for the steps), you will get a 6" rise...

not sure if this is the best example of a wall with steps, but you can see here I used Country Manor 6" block. I was not happy that they changed the caps for a year where they went from 1 size cap to the 3 size cap as shown in the picture, but there is a 6" step regardless.
Your job looks real nice. What is your actual tread measure out to?
Mike

Redbear
05-21-2006, 10:50 AM
If using flagstone, why use a block for step. Get a natural stone cut step, it will blend much better with the flag walk. While the cost is greater the time saved to install makes it a better option imo.

Pavers Plus
05-23-2006, 08:51 AM
just a 12" tread on this project