PDA

View Full Version : Hourly Rate For Skid Steer?

bbailey
05-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Looking at purchasing a ASV RC30(used) for use in my excavating business. I was wondering what to charge for an hourly rate. Hope you guys can help!Thanks...

Ron's Lawncare
05-17-2006, 10:10 AM
you can easly get $60.00-$80.00 per hr.

Ron

Tiller1240
05-17-2006, 04:51 PM
The way we normally charge for skid steer work is $250.00/day for the equipment/fuel, plus $45/hr for the operator. For a 10hr work day this would give you a total cost of $700.00 (which would work out to $70/hr). Where this is more advantageous for us is for smaller jobs. A 4hr project would run $430 (which is about $105/hr). We do this because the 4hr projects still tie up the skid steer for a better part of the day.

Gary Weiss
PerfiCut Lawn & Landscape

Scag48
05-17-2006, 04:57 PM
We charge $$80 an hour for our skid steer, but everyone's area is a little bit different.

bbailey
05-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the replys so far,do not want to overcharge or undercharge. Your input will help with my final desicion.

AWJ Services
05-17-2006, 08:51 PM
The bigger the machine the more you need to get per hour since the job will be done faster.

Also the ASV RC30 will go places a big skid steer will not.
We get 45 an hour for Tractor work.
I am shooting for 65 and hour for my new skid steer.
There is no way I would work for any less than 45 and hour.
Loaders make around 80 to 110 an hour here.

Dirt Digger2
05-17-2006, 10:30 PM
company i work for charges $75 an hour for a case 1840...includes fuel and operator

mrusk
05-17-2006, 10:39 PM
I'd shoot for 70 and hour.

I have a new 246b and only use it for hardscaping. Its not for hire so i do not have a set hourly rate that i charge. THe machine sits alot, but it puts $$ in my pocket by saving ALOT of labor and the payment is way less than i spent renting!

Matt

Scag48
05-17-2006, 10:48 PM
You're not going to hire it out? Gotta pay those bills! I'd be hitting the street getting side work for that monster, you could do quite a bit of "construction" work with that machine. You could do garage pads, land clearing, grading, etc. Just a thought.

dccarling
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM
I like to charge by the job rather than by the hour but when I do have to, my rate is 100. an hour which includes fuel and operator. The only other charge is for transportation which is 350. for both to and from the job site. I have a ASV RC-100, 4 in 1 bucket, bradco 611 backhoe, MX8 harley rake and a set of forks. The reason charging by the job is better most of the time is if I tell you $1200. to power rake a 20k sq-ft lawn you think it's a great deal (and it is) but if I tell you 100 an hour plus transport fees, you think it's outrageous. Even though it's only a couple hours and would have cost you less money.

Scag48
05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Usually, our hourly charge is only a basis for what our bid should be. It's alot easier to figure out how long it's going to take, then multiply by your hourly charge when bidding then it is to just throw out a number. That's how we do it and I agree with you, tell them it's $100 an hour and they sh!t a brick. We NEVER tell out customers what our hourly rate is, we know what it is and that's all who needs to know.

dccarling
05-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I agree, always better to bid by the job

Mike33
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I dont like working by the hour for 2 reasons: 1 Home owners like to watch the clock and does not understand when you have to go to the bathroom or the cell phone rings. 2 As a owner operater i can normally produce a lot of work fast and be be productive. Home owners want to know what it will cost them, if you bid a job for 300.00 and do it in 1.5 hour thay say your good on that machine and pay the bill. By the hour they think your going to run up the time and will watch every move you make. This has been my experience any way.
Mike

mrusk
05-18-2006, 11:13 PM
You're not going to hire it out? Gotta pay those bills! I'd be hitting the street getting side work for that monster, you could do quite a bit of "construction" work with that machine. You could do garage pads, land clearing, grading, etc. Just a thought.

This machine can dig!!! I finally got finished with a 900sq paver job, which was basically 900sq of walkways with 275 linear feet of cuts. Now i am on a job where i do not have to worry about ripping up grass or anything and can just run full bore. On this job, the customer wants to put a modular horse born on a hill. So i have to level it off with some SRWs and leave a level qp base.

I arrived at the jobsite tonite at 6.30pm and unloaded the machine. I rolled out at 8.30pm and already moved around 40-50 yards from the bank. The machine did not stall once. It just kept pushing. Carried heped buckets of wet dirt up the muddy hill no proablem. This machine is a beast!

Not hiring it out is a discussion for another day!

Matt

Splicer
05-18-2006, 11:44 PM
If I were to get a bobcat, how would I go about hiring it (and myself!) out???

Mike33
05-19-2006, 10:59 PM
If I were to get a bobcat, how would I go about hiring it (and myself!) out???
I guess i would state that i am in the landscaping or excavating business with a bobcat. My logo has been we specialize in small jobs. Establish your self in business: licenses, ins., etc. then yellow page, newspaper, or talk to home builders.
Mike

Squizzy246B
05-20-2006, 10:24 AM
This machine can dig!!!
I arrived at the jobsite tonite at 6.30pm and unloaded the machine. I rolled out at 8.30pm and already moved around 40-50 yards from the bank. The machine did not stall once. It just kept pushing. Carried heped buckets of wet dirt up the muddy hill no proablem. This machine is a beast!

Matt

:D :D :D :D :D

Our productivity increased dramatically when we stepped up to the 246B. A guy who owns an 85XT tested our 248B on site last week and could believe how much dirt we move in an hour. I saw his 85 in the paper under "For Sale" the following weekend.

mrusk
05-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Squizzy i am atleast 50% more productive with the pilot controls! I can push the machine to its limits and i can get out of the cab and feel fine! With foot controls i'd be beat!

ksss
05-21-2006, 10:06 PM
The 85XT was my least favorite machine. I had one for a year or so and CASE traded me out of it. They put me in a 95XT. The 85XT really is too big and heavy to be without a turbo especially at my elevations it was a real dog. I have tried to convince CASE to turbo the 85XT it would make a world of difference but for some reason they don't want to.

Squizzy246B
05-22-2006, 10:46 AM
The 85XT was my least favorite machine. I had one for a year or so and CASE traded me out of it. They put me in a 95XT. The 85XT really is too big and heavy to be without a turbo especially at my elevations it was a real dog. I have tried to convince CASE to turbo the 85XT it would make a world of difference but for some reason they don't want to.

Probably the same reason Cat wont put the 80hp engine in the 257B.

bbailey
06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Picked up the RC-30 on Sat. 5/27. Machine has 500 hours on it and it is a 2002. Perfect fit for my F-350 dump. Real good power and I really like the fact that you can see the bucket edge from the seat. You can get real precise grading. Machine is in use almost daily already!!!:clapping:

Mowpower
06-06-2006, 04:58 PM
So is it true that the ASV's don't tear up the ground as much as a wheeled Bobcat? How about on a lawn, doing tight turns?

Scag48
06-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Nope, if anything they tear up the dirt just as bad and on grass the damage is about the same if you turn. However, if you track straigh across lawn, the tracked machines won't leave ruts as wheeled machines do because the PSI of a tracked machine is around 4 I believe. Needless to say, we have both and both perform better in different situations. It's really hard to replace a wheeled machine working on pavement or in tight areas where 180 degree turns are absolutely needed. But, a CTL grades like none other and the tractive forces are great for pushing a lot of dirt or just fast paced excavation.

bbailey
06-06-2006, 10:22 PM
If you turn real sharp on grass it will peel up the grass! I have found so far that a gradual turn is best providing you have the area to do it. If you cannot turn gradual and you have to turn sharp you will have to fix it when you are done with the job. They claim the machine only has 2.5psi on the ground. It has been real wet here in VT lately and the nice thing is about the tracks is that you will not sink in anywhere close to what you will with tires if you are running in the same wet area!

farmboy555
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I charge a 2hr min. @ $100.per for the first 2 hrs & $65. per for the rest of the day.

MikeAtv
09-22-2006, 09:35 PM
Farmboy what kind of equpment do you operate?