PDA

View Full Version : $1,000,000 sod job

Coreyb
05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
we do a moderate amount of sod/lawn installs every year. right now we use one square yard pieces. I have 3 large deals I am working right now with 2 builders and 1 developer. In all, it's about 500 homes. this is a big deal for us. what would you guys charge per foot for a 100 - 300 home contract? We would only have to do slight finish grading, pulverizing, and roll the sod after install. And is it worth the investment to be able to install with large sod rolls vs square yards? I really only want to hear from those of you that have experience with working large contracts. thanks

Dashunde
05-17-2006, 08:56 PM
I have not done a large sod job in many many years... but...

Without a doubt, you will want to run the rolls, they will cut your time dramatically.
On a huge job as you describe, the time saved and the price of the rolls (usually a little cheaper) compared to the squares may help offset the cost of new equipment.
The rolled stuff also has less seams/joints which keeps weeds out better, and it just stays put better under the initial heavy watering.

It also looks better when its rolled out... the "grain" is a bit more uniform instead of a patch-work pattern you can get from squares.

Avery
05-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I would charge the same per sq/yd as I do any other job.....

olderthandirt
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
What I would charge and what they would pay are way differnt. You can expect to get around 40 cents a ft. yd. At least thats what they pay for development work around here. Pulte builders are great at low balling the LCO.
And you will have to guarentee the lawns

AintNoFun
05-17-2006, 11:21 PM
pulte are great payers though.. is that 40 cents a sq. ft. if so i bid on a job about a month ago with tollbrothers. 70 some 20,00 sq. ft. lots. grand total for hand raking and sodding. .24 cents installed. the sod my cost was about .145

What I would charge and what they would pay are way differnt. You can expect to get around 40 cents a ft. yd. At least thats what they pay for development work around here. Pulte builders are great at low balling the LCO.
And you will have to guarentee the lawns

JJLandscapes
05-18-2006, 12:09 AM
I would charge the same per sq/yd as I do any other job.....

he is probably trying to actually land the job.. when his costs go down so much for buying in bulk im sure the customer can get some sort of discount

Mdirrigation
05-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Builders want a set price , when fuel rises, and sod goes up you will still be committed to your bid price. You will be called the day before and told that they need a job done because the house is going to settle in 2 days. You will be waiting at least 90 days to be paid . you will be watering the lawns until the owner moves in . When the sod dies you will be replacing at your expense . The grading wont be as close as you think. Look into it real hard .

Coreyb
05-18-2006, 10:08 AM
we already have a relationship with the builder. we do their lawn maintenance for their display home and other misc mowing. they pay very quickly, prob 15 days after their invoice. I know their will the pita factor, but we are talking about potentially millions of dollars in gross revenue over a 2-3 year period. they have always worked well with us in the past as far as unexpected cost increases. i want to look at all angles and profit margins, before i am balls deep.

AintNoFun
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
another thing to just think about if its so profitable how come the last guy isn't doing again...

Coreyb
05-20-2006, 08:46 PM
i don't necessarily think it's really profitable, just somewhat profitable. i think the other guy put all his eggs in this basket. for me, it's just going to be a part of my business, not the whole thing.

YardPro
05-20-2006, 09:46 PM
we have done some athletic fields and other large commercial properties.

laying large rolls is the only way to go. I can lay 100 yards per man hour hour all day long with my dingo and 20 yard rolls....

the 40 yard rolls are even faster assuming you are not in a really small area.

AintNoFun
05-20-2006, 10:53 PM
hey, do you have a link on where you got your sod roller at for your dingo? thanks

we have done some athletic fields and other large commercial properties.

laying large rolls is the only way to go. I can lay 100 yards per man hour hour all day long with my dingo and 20 yard rolls....

the 40 yard rolls are even faster assuming you are not in a really small area.