PDA

View Full Version : What to do here

The landscaper
05-18-2006, 11:42 AM
What can I do with this bed to give it nice color and make it look good.

topsites
05-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I would first get rid of all the weeds by either cultivating them or weedeating or treat them, then cover it with a rich, dark mulch.

Depending on your method of getting rid of the weeds, some follow-up is usually required to maintain control of those pesky things.

You might also if you have a license, throw down some fertilizer on that there grass, rich it up some.
Once the bed looks good, if the grass greens up ...

p.s.: You probably need 2 cubic yards of mulch but it is hard to say from the picture, it could be more ...

jazak
05-18-2006, 12:01 PM
well you could use some red mulch(it will stand out more then black) and flowers. Also use Roundup or till up the area.

ENDURO
05-18-2006, 12:35 PM
How about giving it some nice color and making it look good!

sorry, i'm at my real job and bored to death.

The landscaper
05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
he would like some new bushes and plants in there
the stuff up front can probably go. The tree can stay

I was thinking of putting something towards each side that was a little bigerr(smaller than the tree though) and putting some plants around it. Maybe some hosta and daylilly. That will give it a little more color and possible throw some annuals in the front for some nice bright color.

Dstosh
05-18-2006, 08:21 PM
Hosta? I would advise against that. They need some shade and if they dont have shade, they need to be watered. Maybe put some flowering shrubs for your highest height. Next use some perennials for the medium height and then annuals for your lowest height, and interplant with some bulbs for your border.

The landscaper
05-18-2006, 08:28 PM
what kind of flowering shrubs do you recommend?

Critical Care
05-18-2006, 08:51 PM
It’s hard to see what you have in there, but it appears to be six or more small shrubs all lined up in a row. I’d get away from that, and yes, clean up the weeds and put some mulch down. One thing that I think would really add a nice touch would be one or three large landscape boulders placed partially behind smaller plants. You want to see the boulder(s), but not only the boulder(s). This appears to be a corner lot, so have your smaller plants closer to the streets, landscape boulders behind them, and larger shrubs and tree in the back.

By the way, don't just dump a boulder, or boulders, on the surface. Bury them partially.

Travel'n Trees
05-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Knock out roses and old gold junipers for evergreen, bordered with daylillies or lirope. red,or brown mulch.

Coffeecraver
05-19-2006, 06:15 AM
You need some Ornamental Grass--Like Zebra grass

prizeprop
05-19-2006, 06:50 PM
How's this? if good feal free to use. feeling generous tonight.

The landscaper
05-19-2006, 06:52 PM
what are the different plants you put in there? Is that a little wall in the middle?

prizeprop
05-19-2006, 06:58 PM
You could use some spreading yews along the back to eventually form a hedge or boxwood or any shrub for that matter. yes thats a wall with gold thread cypress. Then plant the annuals where they look good.

The landscaper
05-19-2006, 07:02 PM
looks good. Thanks for the help.

What would you use for that wall?

prizeprop
05-19-2006, 07:14 PM
They call it PA Colonial in these parts or Appleman. Any pallet of wall stone, just dry stack a couple rows high for accent, your not retaining anything because bedding area is fairly flat.

The landscaper
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
sandstone would work then? What program are using there?

Gilla Gorilla
05-19-2006, 09:29 PM
He is using Pro Landscape. It is a very nice program but can be expensive at $1300 but well worth the money if you do alot of installs.

Lawnworks
05-19-2006, 10:31 PM
What about two large bnb Nelly Stevens(maybe 6-8 footers) on each side of that tree? I like the knockout rose idea... really a great plant and will add instant color.

topsites
05-19-2006, 11:25 PM
How's this? if good feal free to use. feeling generous tonight.

How much for the lady, and where do you get her?

The landscaper
05-20-2006, 07:45 AM
how do you put up that little wall? Do you need to dig it out a little bit so there is some dirt behind it?

The landscaper
05-20-2006, 10:30 PM
It didnt turn out as great as I would have liked. The nursery didnt have any bigger boxwoods so I just have to let them grow a bit. What do you think? Does it need anything else?

prizeprop
05-21-2006, 12:31 PM
He is using Pro Landscape. It is a very nice program but can be expensive at $1300 but well worth the money if you do alot of installs.
DESIGNWARE is the program and it cost $700 in 1999.http://www.designwarefactory.com/flash/Landscape.html