PDA

View Full Version : Was I in The Wrong???

Gatewayuser
05-18-2006, 06:58 PM
What would you have done? We were at my best customer's ( I make 5 digits off of them) house the other day and my employee(my brother) was admiring his brand new $65,000 BMW. My customer asked him if he would like to take it for a drive and he said really? He then threw him the keyless key and said have fun. So my brother got in a took it for a drive. When he got back my customer asked if I would like to take it for a drive and I said no thanks. I told my brother that I would like him not to drive any customers cars again. I think that it was not a good idea to drive a customer's car who makes up so much of my business, what would have happened if he would have gotten into a wreak? I would have lost the job I'm sure. If it would have been just my brother fine but we were training a new employee and I don't want him thinking its ok to do that. Was I in the wrong? My brother had mulch on him and I said to him your dirty and the customer said ahhh who cares you won't hurt anything. The car has white leather interior.

Flow Control
05-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Business owners and workers have two different trains of thought. Owners look down the road while making present decisions. Workers train of thought is present tense only. Now if you are both partners since you said he was your brother I would then assume you are the business mind of the two.

All_Clear
05-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Obviously this "customer" has plenty of green to burn. If i knew the guy well (as in have gotten to know the customer on a friend type basis)... sure i would have driven it... If we were on just a customer/business relationship then no....

The guy doesn't care... if he can afford a BMW, he can afford the insurance to cover the car... Along with the detail bill every week or 2.... So no wonder he didn't sweat it....

If your happy with the decision you made then great... Just remember though this "customer" really trusts you and obviously your worker(s)... It's not every day you get to cruise at $65K car.....

All Clear

topsites
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Well I tell you I own a 1988 325ic and a 1991 318is and between the two I spent just under 5 digits in the purchase price thou as old as they are, I really enjoy driving the bmw's and if a customer of mine ever offered for me to test-drive their sports car, I might think about it twice but I might also just hop in and take it out for a quick spin even if it was a ferrari or better yet, a lambo.

Just one time, I'd have to step on it to feel the power. I dare say it would be highly intoxicating, hard to shake off later but oh what a once-in-a-lifetime experience. A 65k bmw has got to feel tremendously cool.

Far as the wrecking, well, he didn't (WHEW !)
So make it a one-time thing and no it is not ok, just this one time but don't do it again it was a very special situation and leave it at that.

richallseasons
05-19-2006, 12:35 AM
I see that you have not received any backing in your decision but I would say that you are correct and if that where me in your shoes I would have told my brother to forget about it when the keys got thrown his way.I feel that was beyond the profesional line to cross,but i am a hardass after all.

True Harbor
05-19-2006, 01:37 AM
I've driven a lambo, bmw m5, bentley, maserati, rolls royce, ferrari etc. This was working at an FBO with private jets. Some of the jet owners even let me take the car home for the weekend. A vette ZO6 and a mercedes sl 55 amg i got to take home lol. Its hard to drive some of the cars cause they dont wanna move. So I'll be sitting there a few minutes before I can't figure out how to get it started and in drive its crazzzy. Anyways its def scary with some of the cars cause you have a ton of power and its a once in a lifetime exp unless you've got a great business that can let you afford one of these cars.

sheshovel
05-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Uh I say you made the right decision for yourself and I am afraid I would have caught those keys in midair and threw them right back to the customer.You were right.If he wants to drive one of those he can get all dressed up and go get a dealer to let him take one out for a spin.

Splicer
05-19-2006, 02:54 AM
You are correct in your thinking...Any number of things could have happened out of your brothers control. Of course I find it rather odd that the customer offers you the keys to the Beemer but that is just my opinion...

Gatewayuser
05-19-2006, 09:33 AM
You are correct in your thinking...Any number of things could have happened out of your brothers control. Of course I find it rather odd that the customer offers you the keys to the Beemer but that is just my opinion...

He is a great customer, super nice and as soon as I bill I get the check in about 2 days. Also the only time I hear from him on the phone is when he has another big job for me to do.

jpmako
05-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Smart move on your part.
I would have been screaming at my brother had he actually said yes and taken the car. But this does show that this customer trusts you, and your employees. BTW I have driven a $60k car before and it got old real quick. I'll take my Chipped Duramax any day ...:rolleyes: and it was only $40k

Jason

BCF
05-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I thnk you did the right thing. I'd be so worried abotu wrecking the thing that I actually would cause me an accident. But it is super cool that a customer trusts you that much.

Gatewayuser
05-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Smart move on your part.
I would have been screaming at my brother had he actually said yes and taken the car. But this does show that this customer trusts you, and your employees. BTW I have driven a $60k car before and it got old real quick. I'll take my Chipped Duramax any day ...:rolleyes: and it was only $40k

Jason

My brother took him up on the offer but there was no way that I would have.

ExmarkMower1971
05-19-2006, 08:35 PM
What would you have done? We were at my best customer's ( I make 5 digits off of them) house the other day and my employee(my brother) was admiring his brand new $65,000 BMW. My customer asked him if he would like to take it for a drive and he said really? He then threw him the keyless key and said have fun. So my brother got in a took it for a drive. When he got back my customer asked if I would like to take it for a drive and I said no thanks. I told my brother that I would like him not to drive any customers cars again. I think that it was not a good idea to drive a customer's car who makes up so much of my business, what would have happened if he would have gotten into a wreak? I would have lost the job I'm sure. If it would have been just my brother fine but we were training a new employee and I don't want him thinking its ok to do that. Was I in the wrong? My brother had mulch on him and I said to him your dirty and the customer said ahhh who cares you won't hurt anything. The car has white leather interior.

I aggree with you,First off why are you there? nyou are there to provide a service,not to be on a friendship level..in my opion I would have told brother or whoever it was if they drive they are terminated..point blank
you are there to do the service and move on..if you want to play do it off the clock..I for one wants to spend time with my family not someone elses..if im there i will be getting paid to stand there and talk about there items..

M.S. Lawncare
Jonesboro,Arkansas:usflag:

Treat everyone the way you want to be treated

J&R Landscaping
05-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I would have done the same thing. Thanks for the offer but I'm okay. I would never want to jepordize a customers business espically one that big!

Landscapes-r-us
05-21-2006, 05:45 PM
I drove a brand new lambo mursealago (YES I KNOW I JUST BUTCHERED THE SPELLING OF THAT BUT I'M TOO LAZY TO LOOK IT UP! lol) to pick up my girlfriend and then to lunch.. It was a customers car.. BUT he has about 10 cars so he wasn't too concerned. I usually hit his yard on Fridays about 5 and the end of the day so we hang out a little while and talk about cars and planes. He also owns a small plane but he hasn't let me borrow it yet. :(

Freddy_Kruger
05-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I don't like my employees even talking to my customers or their kids.

ExmarkMower1971
05-21-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't like my employees even talking to my customers or their kids.

I agree with you 300% Freddy..... :waving: