PDA

View Full Version : Poison Oak Question

carcrz
05-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Had this customer call me from out of town. One of his rental properties is being renovated & is going to have a new power line ran to the house. Apparently there is poison oak on the power pole as well as the meter on the house. Any suggestions for removal? What stinks is I just got rid of some poison oak from 2 weeks ago. Uggggh. :hammerhead:

carcrz
05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
anybody??? I know you guys have dealt with this stuff...

paolaken
05-19-2006, 08:33 AM
i'm just happy i don't get it anymore. i would cut it at the ground, treat it and pull it off.

fulano
05-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Wear gloves and hope that you don't get it. If you do use zanfel about $30 a tube at walmart. That works pretty good for me. I used to have about 20 trees in my back yard with large 1-2" vines running up them and now I am down to a few plants and vines on the ground.

carcrz
05-19-2006, 07:21 PM
The way I look at it is the $30 to not get it is still cheaper than the perscription to get rid of it.

pondfishr
05-19-2006, 07:39 PM
They make ointment that you rub on before you get around Poison Ivy. I think it is called Ivy Off. I used it in the past and it worked pretty good. It puts a barrier film on your skin to keep the oil from penetrating.I would also recommend a long sleeve shirt, long pants, and gloves.

Good luck that stuff is really bad news.:dizzy:

Mike33
05-19-2006, 09:38 PM
That **** is nasty with me, that job could not pay enough i woild pass on it.
Mike

carcrz
05-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I would but it's a friend of the family. I also mow a few of his properties since he is unable to now. I'll probably charge him $120 or so to yank it off the pole & the house.

topsites
05-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Round-up in a sprayer, backpack if it's a TON of it but otherwise a 2 - 2.5 gallon hand-held should do it.
Mix it heavy, if you're using superconc, mix 2 ounces RU / gallon of water... If using regular concentrate, 4 ounces / gallon.
If you're using RoundUp Pro, I don't know the mix.

Can't reach up high?
Don't worry about it, kill everything around the bottom of the pole and the rest will die and fall off.

Far as charge, $15 / gallon so probably $30 then add $30 for the medicine just in case, and $60 later you are done.

A bit of a red method, but I've done it many times with viney crap, regardless of type, works great with regular Ivy.

green_mark
05-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Use Everything Must Go! at the base of the pole to kill the vine and then get under contract to spray this every two weeks and spray anything that may be starting.

We have government contracts to maintain park areas where this is a problem and because we are using FIFRA Exempt products so they do not have to use the same precautions. In addition, it works within hours.

upidstay
05-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Growing up the pole and meter?? Call the power company and have them do it. Getting electrocuted does not look like much fun.

carcrz
05-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I'm not sure who is pulling the line, I'm assuming the power company. They won't touch it until the poison oak is gone. I thought it sounded fishy, but I talked to his electrician and that's what he said too.