PDA

View Full Version : Tree cutting nightmare

Liquidfast
05-19-2006, 12:29 AM
I know this has been said several times but I have to tell my story. I landed a LAW office (of all places) for snow removal, I put my bid in and landed year round property maintenance. My phone rings and the customer requests I maintain one of the owners homes. I agree.

After viewing the property, estimating and landing that one, I thought I would show my stuff and mention that their retaining wall required work (poorly done, I have to take pics to show you guys just how bad) and a tree falling onto their garage was imminent. "Chop it down Mr. Landscaper" they say. I am not covered by insurance to hack em down but figured I have several guys, we can do it. WRONG. First mistake was trying to keep their price down as I bill them $950 month for property maintenance plus salt for winter, fert for summer, anyway its just me and my partner. The tree is leaning toward the garage, its 7pm and they are arriving the next day and expect it down. With my trusty rope, and my iron man partner, we start choppin..........lets just say, I am glad my partner was a roofer and we had a grease gun onboard. The tree came down narrowly missing the garage but catching it with branches, tearing off shingles and destroying the retaining wall and gutter. In total, not a bad days work. If the tree only fell the other way, we would have been out in 20 minutes. If it fell 5 feet further in the other direction, the damage would have been in the thousands. Not worth it for a $400 job.

NEVER AGAIN, Lesson learned.

TURF DOCTOR
05-19-2006, 12:38 AM
That sucks, i have tried tree trimming if you did a job at a 1000 bucks double your price and you will still lose money.

sheshovel
05-19-2006, 12:43 AM
The lesson was learned before you even attempted doing the work.You pretty much knew what would happen and did it anyway.Pushing the envelope of saftey is your lesson to be learned here.You both could have been killed.

P & L Turf
05-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Thats why you make friends with more than one tree company. I've been in the same situation, only I was at a friends house, and we were taking our sweet ol time to make sure nothing like that would happen. It;s okay though, you can chalk that one up on the board as a learning experience.

Guthrie&Co
05-19-2006, 01:25 AM
meanwhile 1 million occurance and 2 million insurance per year is 350 bucks. your an idiot for not having it

Splicer
05-19-2006, 01:48 AM
The lesson was learned before you even attempted doing the work.You pretty much knew what would happen and did it anyway.Pushing the envelope of saftey is your lesson to be learned here.You both could have been killed.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Cutting down trees the RIGHT WAY takes practice. Get all the practice you need cutting trees in a hurricane deevestated area...:usflag:

Liquidfast
05-19-2006, 02:01 AM
meanwhile 1 million occurance and 2 million insurance per year is 350 bucks. your an idiot for not having it

I have a 2 million policy....just read it today, does not include tree removing.

ProMo
05-19-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a 2 million policy....just read it today, does not include tree removing.

During the hurricanes we had my insurance called me a couple of times saying I was not covered for tree work

Landscapes-r-us
05-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Only trees that I will cut down are those WELL away from ANY property. My policy is, it will have to fall NO LESS than 200 feet away from any building or damagable structure.

godzilla
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
$350 / year for 1 mil may cover you for landscaping, but surely not for trees.

topsites
05-19-2006, 11:31 PM
DON'T MESS WITH TREES if you are not in the tree business.

But if it makes you feel any better, I crapped my pants a few times dealing with trees until I learned.
The best one was cutting this tree overhanging a creek. I climbed out on the stump and was cutting when suddenly the saw caught, I lost hold and it dropped in the creek in January. So I stripped down to my underwear and went after it because I wasn't about to let 300 dollars go in the creek. The water was cold :cry:

dKoester
05-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Should of used a bucket truck, much easier.

Splicer
05-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Should of used a bucket truck, much easier.
I have one...:clapping:

Birdhunter1
05-20-2006, 05:51 PM
I tell folks I'll do dern near anything around their house till they mention tree removal.
The only way I will do tree removal is:
If I can trim it with my polesaw and it won't damamge anything when it falls I'll do it.

If I can cut the tree down and it don't matter too aweful much which way it falls I'll do it.

If the tree is so small that even if it does fall towards the building is very unlikely to do any damage at all.

I grew up on a farm and I'm pretty handy and proficient with a chainsaw and have cut lots of firewood I am by no means qualified to be a tree service.

fulano
05-21-2006, 07:15 AM
My father owned a tree service for over 20 years. I dragged brush and learned to be pretty good with a chainsaw. I would never cut a tree which was close to someones house. too much liability. Last week I cut about 5 of mine that the kudsu killed off last year. 30 -40 ft tall each about 20 feet from my house.

Splicer
05-21-2006, 08:43 AM
I just got a call Friday to remove a dead tree at an apartment complex. Tree is about 60' tall, 5' away from an apartment building and over hanging the roof...wouldn't touch it with a 50' pole...I called a tree service guy who had no qualms about how close it was to the building...

start2finish
05-21-2006, 10:34 AM
tree guys like dangerous trees, it keeps the landscapers from low balling something they aren't even insured to do. The more dangerous the better.

Rollacosta
05-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Been in the tree bizz for nearly 20 years ,tree falling is an art that even some tree service workers can't perfect,make friends with a local tree firm,tree falling and tree climbing is the second most dangerous job there is in the world!!!!