PDA

View Full Version : What Machine to use?

jazak
05-19-2006, 05:19 PM
I got this job. I was going to use a 305 or a 308 both equiped with a thumb, a 306 or 308 articulated loader with pallet forks and bucket, a D3 dozer or a D21(Komatsu), maybe a 252B skid steer, (CAT stuff would be rented out from Foley)& finally a JD 2350 tractor with york rake for finsh. The retainer wall would be made out of rock because I don't think block could hold all that up and would probably be to costly(gravel would be filled behind it and I would use some cement on the wall for extra suport). The backyard would be filled in and all drainage pipes would be led out of the wall, ext. What equipment would you use and what type of materail for the wall would you use? To get down there I may be able to use a nieghbors quad trail but if I can't I would have to create my own.

jazak
05-19-2006, 05:20 PM
hheerreess mmorree:laugh:

Squizzy246B
05-19-2006, 06:27 PM
G,day Jazak, if it was us then we would use a 5 tonne excavator for most of that with a skid to help out. The 308 ex would be good in some areas but whatever trees remain may be a pain with the bigger ex. Maybe a 308 at the start for clearing and a 305 for the rest of the work?.

Its hard to tell with the lay of the land but a track loader may be better than a skid if its slippery.

We use a boom extension bar fitted to our KX 161-3 for laying stone in areas like this.

You said a 308 articulated loader...I'm assuming you meant 908 and whilst that machine may be handy I think a CTL would do more and give you more value for your rental money.

Looks like a great job....don't forget to post some pics as the job goes.

Good Luck

Dirt Digger2
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
if the stumps dont have to be removed i would grind them down...all you really need is something like a Takeuchi TL150 with teeth on the bucket, it doesn't look like anything too major besides for those stumps, and i'm pretty sure just from looking at the pictures a 10,000lb. compact track loader could handle it.

jazak
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
You said a 308 articulated loader...I'm assuming you meant 908 and whilst that machine may be handy I think a CTL would do more and give you more value for your rental money.

Looks like a great job....don't forget to post some pics as the job goes.

Good Luck[/QUOTE]

Yep thats what I meant. Also I'm not concerend about the stumps. I am concerened about the size of the excavor because I will be lifting heavey rock. The trees will just be dropped and chipped up. The skid would not work because I have to fill in the backyard once I am done. If it was just a retainer wall then I would use the skid. A CTL may work better like you said. Any more input would be great. And I will post pics along the way.

jazak
05-19-2006, 08:18 PM
The part that I really need to know is which excavator would be best suited for this job: a 305, 308 or a 314? The loader will work fine for what I nee it for + its not a long as the CTLs.

Dirty Water
05-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I'd look into how tall you can build mass retaining walls in your area.

You may have to do 3-4 set backbacks with 4' walls on that hillside to be to code.

jazak
05-19-2006, 11:15 PM
I think its 5' feet but I'm going to check tommorrow just to make sure thanks though.

Gravel Rat
05-20-2006, 01:44 AM
A excavator and a skid steer can do all the work you need to do. A 161 Kubota size machine will do the job (12,000lbs).

A mini excavator can do alot of work especially if your a good operator you could almost do the whole job with a decent sized mini. A skid steer would be good for a wheel barrow.

As meantioned you better check out what height of wall requires engineering here it is 48" inches.

It looks like you have a decent size job on your hands good luck with the project. If your contending with the neighbours better be nice to them they can make your life miserable :laugh:

tylermckee
05-20-2006, 03:57 AM
I would do it all with just a mini, 8K or bigger. A good operator on one machine will run circles around a decent operator with 2-4 different pieces of equipment. You may also want to rent some sort of compactor, is this going to be a driveway?

jazak
05-20-2006, 10:38 AM
No. They need a retainer wall back there as mentioned. The pic where I said cut a path is where I will go down if I can't use the nieghbors trail. A skid steer would be to small because I need to fill in the backyard and the trucking company's are to big to get back there.(tandem axles) So a 305 would work then? The only reason I was going to use a 308 was because of the large rock.

Gravel Rat
05-20-2006, 01:37 PM
The 305 should be plenty I had to look at the spec's because I don't follow Cat's numbering system. Your working in pretty tight area the 308 might be a little too large. I imagine the home owner wants very little disturbance so punching a road into the back yard to fit a bigger machine prolly isn't on the list. It just takes longer and more planning ahead when you use a smaller machine.

There is ways of getting material into the back yard a skid steer or powered wheel barrows or have a stone slinger shoot the material in the back yard.

jazak
05-20-2006, 04:51 PM
The customer does not care what happens to the backyard because the wall will be 3-5 feet higher then the backyard is now. Once the wall is done the backyard will then be filled and leveled. The 305 will be equiped (per week is $1175) with bucket and thumb. The 308 is ($1300 " ") and will also have the " ". The skid steer will be way to small so I am set on the 906 ($1200 " ")articulated loader which its bucket can hoild about twice as mucjh as a skids. The shipping is $200 each way and Foley can put 2 units on each truck. The back yard is about 20,000 sq. ft. Any more input would be great.:)

Gravel Rat
05-20-2006, 07:19 PM
In Picture 52 it looks like there there is a pretty good elevation drop and what looks like a stone wall at the bottom. What do they want to do there you might have some pretty heavy digging to take some of the load off that bottom wall. Or take that bottom wall right out start with a larger one and step it back.

That one part of the project will take some time with a 305 because of your limited reach you may have to cut some benches in that bank for you to sit on and place the rocks.

Without physically seeing what you got to deal with its hard to tell you what machine you should have there.

Now that I have been thinking about it maybe you should have the 308 if the homeowner isn't concerned about you disturbing the rest of the yard the bigger machine will make your job easier. The reach of the machine will be the key part it will save you from building benches to sit on. You may need some decent size stones for that bank in picture 52.

tylermckee
05-20-2006, 11:36 PM
308 or bigger, looks like you have plenty of room, hell i bet you could get away with a 120 size machine.

jazak
05-21-2006, 09:57 AM
308 or bigger, looks like you have plenty of room, hell i bet you could get away with a 120 size machine.

I think I'm going to go with the 308. If I need the 305 I can rent out the machine. But I personally think the 305 would be to small on this size yard.

jazak
05-21-2006, 09:59 AM
In Picture 52 it looks like there there is a pretty good elevation drop and what looks like a stone wall at the bottom. What do they want to do there you might have some pretty heavy digging to take some of the load off that bottom wall. Or take that bottom wall right out start with a larger one and step it back.

That one part of the project will take some time with a 305 because of your limited reach you may have to cut some benches in that bank for you to sit on and place the rocks.

Without physically seeing what you got to deal with its hard to tell you what machine you should have there.

Now that I have been thinking about it maybe you should have the 308 if the homeowner isn't concerned about you disturbing the rest of the yard the bigger machine will make your job easier. The reach of the machine will be the key part it will save you from building benches to sit on. You may need some decent size stones for that bank in picture 52.

Everything you see on that pic is getting replaced. The wall down there is not meant to hold up anything but just for decoration and to put some flowers.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 08:32 PM
You will need the bigger machine to work on the biggest wall there is going to be lots of digging. Like I meantioned small machines can do the job but it does take preplaning of steps because you start excavating for the wall and its oh crap I can't reach because you dug out the wrong area first.

I would get the engineers paperwork all done for that one area or get a start on it. Around here its a biatch to get a engineer to come out to the site to look then process the paperwork.

Its why I say don't pizz off the neighbours they can really put the screws to you. Its happened here one of the excavation contractors built a rock wall it was 10-12" over the 48" mark. No big deal but the neighbour was having a fight with the person that had the wall built. Next thing you know the building inspector with the district shows up makes the contractor come back and rebuild the wall so its under 48"s or have it engineered. Its not holding back a ton of material it was just raising the grade of the driveway.

Another contractor a familly friend working on a job in the same area started to build a concrete block wall the neighbour complains to the district inspector engineer comes out to the site says nothing wrong with the footings the block is sitting on its solid B.C. (Rock).

They can't go ahead with the project untill the paper work is approved takes 2 weeks they already waited for the engineer to have a look that tood 2 weeks.

Because of the stupid neighbour who has to biatch raised a stink when the engineer come out and looked and said that wall isn't going to go anywhere its sitting on the hardest base possible. You could hold up a 100 story apartment building on the rock its not going to settle.

Scag48
05-22-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm voting for a 312, you could do it with a 308 easy or even a 305, but you've got enough room to bring in a 312. Then bring in a big skid steer/track loader to finish grade and assist with building the walls. If you're going to build stone retaining walls, definately get at least a 308. Since you'll need to haul rock in via dump truck, I would build your access road as big as you can and fairly level so the dump truck can just back up into the yard and drop the rocks. I've had to shuttle rocks 700 feet from the dump site to the wall with a skid steer. Not fun. Also, if you do end up backing the trucks up through the back yard, if the soil is very saturated or muddy, bring in some 2-4" crushed stone and lay that down as ballast for the road and remove it after you're all done.