PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap

Motoman69X@aol.com
05-22-2001, 01:34 PM
Ok I got the cash to do the project, But I need more advice. I have a 1983 Chevy K-20 with theh 6.2 L Diesil, I want to pull it out and put in ethier a 350 or a 454, Now, How would I go about seting up the Fuel supply to the Carb ? and with a gas motor bolt up to my 700 R4 Tranny ? I have heard it will and Ive heard that I need to find a Olds 455 if I want to use the same tranny, Is this correct ? Or do I need to buy a new tranny to go along with it ? Onother Question is if I have to switch trannys what should I use, I mean what will handel more touque ? 700 Rr or a Turbo 400 ? I have to get all the details worked out before I pull the diesil, its my daily driver as of now,

Please help
Thanks Brandon

MTCK
05-22-2001, 04:38 PM
700r4 will work with either engine, but if you are going to put some horsepower throught it, you'll probably use up the tranny. A mechanical fuel pump will work fine with either motor. A turbo 400 will handel a lot more torque than a 700r4.

85w/350
05-22-2001, 09:11 PM
The turbo 400 is also alot heavier...but definately a beast! I have a 700r4 sitting out right now to swap in place of my turbo 350...but first from everyone i have heard it needs to be beefed up which is looking like a good bit of $ and a big transmission cooler. The biggest problem experienced with the 700r4 is the overdrive goes out quickly when the tranny is hotrided or used heavily(towing) Something needs to be swapped out of a Corvette to make it stronger.(maybe the same thing from an OLDS 455 not too sure). I really dont think they made a different transmission for the diesels than the gas i think a 700r4 is a 700r4. Also with the 700r4 the 2200?? torque stall convertor is nice...Sounds like the easier of the projects swapping to diesel from gas is much more difficult from what i understand...just a few thoughts...

Motoman69X@aol.com
05-23-2001, 11:01 AM
Thanks for all the Info, I was checking my books and found that I can use the same 700 r4 thats in the truck, But the motor thats going in dynoed out at 459 hp so I will ethier get this one built up or find me a new tranny, I searched around and found a shop thats switched the 6.2's over to gas and he told me everything that I need to do, Just looks like it will be a bit $$$$4 to do the project But hey its worth it ...

Thanks again Brandon