PDA

View Full Version : Raising a flower bed

mustang mike 93
05-20-2006, 07:40 PM
I have a customer that wants one of his flower beds raised like his other beds. He wanted a flower bed installed last year anyway the guy who did it just laid weed paper over the grass and threw nasty pine straw on it. The owner wants me to raise the bed about 4-6 inches to match his other beds that have been around for years. There are 3 mature trees in this bed and 3 newer Crape Myrtles as well. What is the best way to do this?
Thanks

Kate Butler
05-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Do you mean that there are mature trees and shrubs in the area that your client wants 'raised'? If yes, you can't just dump on the desired amount of topsoil and replant. That would eventually kill the trees - messing with their roots' ability to process oxygen. Trees are suprisingly sensitive to how much soil they can tolerate covering their roots.

mustang mike 93
05-20-2006, 08:39 PM
There are just 3 older trees in the bed that he wants raised. What other way is there to raise the bed? I would say the trees are about 1.5 feet in diameter.
Thanks

Dirty Water
05-20-2006, 09:04 PM
You could make treewells around the mature tree's if the bed is large enough to be practicle.

Kate Butler
05-20-2006, 09:47 PM
You could make treewells around the mature tree's if the bed is large enough to be practicle.

This strikes me as being the ONLY option if you want the trees to live. Keep in mind that there is considerable disagreement among professionals on the subject of tree wells.

mustang mike 93
05-20-2006, 11:24 PM
I'll look into it a little more when I do his lawn on Tues. This has been a good customer and I would hate to lose him. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.