PDA

View Full Version : Ariens EZR 1742

alfabetsoop
05-22-2001, 04:34 PM
I want to "invest" in a ZTR mower after struggling with the 24" turning radius on my Husky tractor. I only cut about 18,000 sq. ft., but there are many beds and many mulched and natural trees to go around. Curently, it takes me 3 hours start to finish with the cutting, trimming, and cleanup (vac, blower etc.).

I can stripe pretty well with the tractor, but I have a lot of short runs to make (25 yds.), if I change direction every week or so. Consequently, with that really wide radius, I'm constantly backing up, going forward, backing up and going forward just to make the turn.

I'm looking at the Ariens residential grade ZTR, probably the EZR 1742 (17 HP, 42" deck). AT $3000 promo price, it seems like a good deal, but I wonder about the quality. I think it's a stamped deck, and the power is "residential". I have an Ariens Pro snowblower that I'm happy with, so I'm OK with Ariens. Do you have any other recommendations in this price range.

Thanks for any feedback.

Vandora Lawn & Landscape
05-23-2001, 12:35 AM
If you only have 18,000 sq ft get a used walk behind. They are MUCH cheaper and for example with a 48" wb with a sulky thatt can easily be cut in 25-35 minutes.

Catcher
05-23-2001, 08:39 AM
Are you sure you have your square-footage right? It shouldn't take 3 hrs for 1/2 acre unless you have some blades missing .....
A good used walkbehind would most certainly do the job.

johnrhesa
06-21-2001, 10:15 AM
I am considering an EZR 1742 and would appreciate it if someone could give some pros and cons about this zero turn mower? The literature states you can attach a snow plow or snow blower. What is the efficiency of this mower when used to plow or blow snow?

captkirknc
04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I just traded for a used one of these on a whim. Bar none, it is the best thing I have ever done. This little, no thrills, mower cut my grass neatly and quickly and the grass was still wet, too. The neighbor had two guys cutting his, one on a big stand on type John Deere and the other on a Toro with a lot of knobs and levers. Those big machines left tracks in his wet yard and my lawn looks perfect. I am more than pleased, plus I got it cheap, too, in a trade. On a scale of 1-10, this little mower is a 10. Not sure about the 3k price. I got my for 1k in a trade.

Butch Kirkman
North Carolina

Proc's Lawncare
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
the ariens are a pretty decent machine for cutting lawns, but NOT so great at moving snow. I've seen them and tried one once last year with the blower and it was slow going to say the least. Not very productive.

Also, like MANY of the resi zero turn riders out there the ariens has a solid axle rear end, not two seperate independant pumps etc. Which causes MUCH more stress, wear and tear, fluid leaks and in general a pain in the butt after a few months/years depending on how you care for it...

If i could make a suggestion, look into the Snapper series residential zero turn riders, they are cheaper then $3k AND come with sperate axles for each side, have a more solid construction, give a better cut and have more horse power then the ariens... Ariens made quality products in the late 70's and early 80's.... Today, not so much... Just my thoughts hope it helps.