PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys thing?

mbella
05-20-2006, 08:41 PM
Here are some pics of a patio we finished recently. We had to change the original design because of restrictions placed upon us by the township.

I really wasn't sure how I would like the piers kind of floating out there, but after it was finished, I absolutely loved the way they bookend the landscape when sitting on the patio.

kootoomootoo
05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Looks good Mike.
Only thing I don't like is the thin caps on the pillars.

What restrictions did the township place on you?

mbella
05-20-2006, 08:57 PM
The original design had curves and was bigger than what you see. However, the curves placed the patio beyond the setback. We had to lose the curves in order to maximize the space on the patio. The retaining wall of the raised portion that runs paralell with the back wall of the house is literally on the line.

BTW, at least I post pics that are close enough for you to see the thickness of my caps, unlike your last pics.LOL.

kootoomootoo
05-20-2006, 09:13 PM
The original design had curves and was bigger than what you see. However, the curves placed the patio beyond the setback. We had to lose the curves in order to maximize the space on the patio. The retaining wall of the raised portion that runs paralell with the back wall of the house is literally on the line.

BTW, at least I post pics that are close enough for you to see the thickness of my caps, unlike your last pics.LOL.

Mike I didnt know you cared.
Well I had to fit the house in the pic somehow.

Maybe this will help.......

mbella
05-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Are those fixtures running off of low voltage or line voltage?

kootoomootoo
05-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Are those fixtures running off of low voltage or line voltage?

All fixtures are 12v, 1 pillar 120v.
Doing a job at the moment though where pillars are 12v....3 candelabra ea.

Which are the pillars in your pic?

mbella
05-20-2006, 09:42 PM
They are line voltage fixtures, but we found lv bulbs that work, so they are on a 12v system.

Henry
05-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Nice looking work guys.

There are adapters available to convert medium base line voltage fixtures to LV. It looks like the threaded base of a typical light bulb but the top is flat and accepts a bi-pin LV lamp up to 35w.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
05-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Good stuff Mike.

kris
05-21-2006, 09:22 AM
Mike ...looks good.

Did you build your walls level? A lot of times we will incorporate a shrub bed between the patio and wall to allow for a slight grade in the patio.

mbella
05-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Kris, we build the walls level.

kris
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
Ok ... I can see on the pic of the lower patio perhaps a 1.5-2% slope ..so the top patio is completely level?

mbella
05-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Kris, no. The walls are level and the pavement is slightly crowned to meet them.

Drafto
05-21-2006, 02:13 PM
Are your steps pitched or level? It looks like the upper patio is pitched in a different direction then the lower. Is this correct?

Dan

P.S. Nice to see some of your work.

mbella
05-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Dan, the steps are level. The upper patio pitches in three directions and the lower patio only pitches in one direction.

jwholden
05-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Mbella,

Looks very nice. It looks like you planned/measured well enough to not have to cut any pavers on the soldier course of the patio.

How many man hours for the patios?

greasy_gun
05-22-2006, 12:44 AM
looks great!!
keep up the nice work

Squizzy246B
05-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Nice work Mike...has that professional look about it.. cept for those Dingo Ugly pier caps of course:rolleyes: :waving:

mbella
05-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Mbella,

Looks very nice. It looks like you planned/measured well enough to not have to cut any pavers on the soldier course of the patio.

How many man hours for the patios?

That one was bid for roughly 220 man hours.

mbella
05-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Nice work Mike...has that professional look about it.. cept for those Dingo Ugly pier caps of course:rolleyes: :waving:

How thick do you crazy aussies like the flagstone?:)

Mike33
05-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Looks great! Got to love the state of Pennsylvania and there townships. How about the fence in the back ground that looks like ****, does the town ship approve it?
Mike

mbella
05-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Looks great! Got to love the state of Pennsylvania and there townships. How about the fence in the back ground that looks like ****, does the town ship approve it?
Mike

Yep...............

Drafto
05-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Are those slivers I see in the third pic against the top step? I can't stand when that happens. When it was all said and done was there anything you could have done differently to have avoided them?

Dan

mbella
05-23-2006, 05:13 PM
Are you talking about the notched cap?

Drafto
05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Right here Mike:

mbella
05-23-2006, 09:21 PM
Dan, that's an I pattern. In order to maintain the pattern, that's what we had to do. I'd rather have a sliver than change the pattern.

Drafto
05-23-2006, 09:48 PM
Dan, that's an I pattern. In order to maintain the pattern, that's what we had to do. I'd rather have a sliver than change the pattern.

I know, I am not being a d!ck. I just hate when that happens to me, and when it does I almost always see something I could have done to prevent it once it is tool late. It looks like you have about an inch of pavers there, could you have started your pattern somehwere else to put those cuts against a wall or something? I just merely hate when it happens to me and I try and think about having things like that in the open, I would rather have them against a wall or the house or something. The job looks great.

Dan

cgland
05-23-2006, 09:55 PM
Mike - Couldn't you have moved the dryer vent and the water spigot? I hate when they end up on the patio. :rolleyes: Looks good! How did you make out on the man hours?

Chris

Drafto
05-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Mike - Couldn't you have moved the dryer vent and the water spigot? I hate when they end up on the patio. :rolleyes: Looks good! How did you make out on the man hours?

Chris

Hey Mike, were you 200 man hours over your estimate? Hardy-har-har..:) :)

Love,
Chris

mbella
05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I know, I am not being a d!ck. I just hate when that happens to me, and when it does I almost always see something I could have done to prevent it once it is tool late. It looks like you have about an inch of pavers there, could you have started your pattern somehwere else to put those cuts against a wall or something? I just merely hate when it happens to me and I try and think about having things like that in the open, I would rather have them against a wall or the house or something. The job looks great.

Dan

Dan, if you're sweating one inch slivers, you got problems.

mbella
05-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Chris

We were under on the hardscape/lighting and over on the softscape. Go figure that one out.

I was actually going to call a house moving company I saw on tv and have the house moved forward about 10 feet. That would have allowed for us to install the original design, but the cheap azz homeowner didn't want to pay for it. Can you believe that!

Dirty Water
05-23-2006, 10:22 PM
We were under on the hardscape/lighting and over on the softscape. Go figure that one out.

I was actually going to call a house moving company I saw on tv and have the house moved forward about 10 feet. That would have allowed for us to install the original design, but the cheap azz homeowner didn't want to pay for it. Can you believe that!

Maybe you could have gotten into concrete work too and did his new foundation :)

Drafto
05-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Dan, if you're sweating one inch slivers, you got problems.

I think you figured it out. I DO sweat 1" slivers, I am never satisfied with any project I do, I can find flaws in all of them...........maybe it will be my downfall. Stuff like 1" slivers, 1/2" gaps, pavers with one cut instead of two around a curve is the stuff that keeps me up at night.

If I could only apply these things to my business management maybe I could turn the corner and actually make some money. Thanks for hitting the nail on the head Mike, I will be up all night.

Dan

Squizzy246B
05-24-2006, 06:44 PM

There is no accounting for building site management these days...everybody knows you build the house to suit the patio:rolleyes:

PurpHaze
05-24-2006, 09:47 PM
There is no accounting for building site management these days...everybody knows you build the house to suit the patio:rolleyes:

Maybe down under they do things in reverse??? :hammerhead:

YardPro
05-26-2006, 07:31 PM
looks great