PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my telehandler...

thepawnshop
05-21-2006, 12:04 AM
So I bought the used Gehl DL6H42 and got to play on it a bit today. Very different feeling on any kind of slope...I'm still quite nervous so I am going to be overly cautious for quite a while. It has the framers forks and I bought a 2.5 yard bucket for moving gravel and sand for retaining walls and backfill/foundations.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance, but I want to get the sellers company name off of the boom before I do, though.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Its probably going to take awhile to get used to the machine does it have stabilizers on the front ?

I think you will be using the machine quite abit for standing up walls and moving building materials around. You should have a man bucket made up aswell so you can use it for reaching the higher places like installing a heavy window on the 3rd floor.

thepawnshop
05-21-2006, 12:26 AM
The basket you are talking about is gonna set me back 2k, so I am going to wait a bit.

From what a couple other builders tell me, it will get more use than I ever imagined....and they don't have buckets for theirs, either.

Dirty Water
05-21-2006, 12:31 AM
The basket you are talking about is gonna set me back 2k, so I am going to wait a bit.

From what a couple other builders tell me, it will get more use than I ever imagined....and they don't have buckets for theirs, either.

Telehandlers with forks are really handy on big projects. On real large commercial jobs it makes cleanup a breeze you can move around smaller dumpsters around the site and dump it into 40 yard ones every night.

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Ouch I didn't think it would cost that much you could prolly get a certified welder to build you one so it passes insurance requirements.

Hey if any one of you sub trades pizzes you off now you can take their truck and put it up on a nice high place they can get at it :laugh:

One building contractor I know of used to work in the more expensive area where people drive BMWs etc. One of the rich snobs wouldn't move their car so they took the forklift and placed it somewhere out of reach hey don't fool around with a contractor :nono:

Qualey
05-21-2006, 12:34 PM
One building contractor I know of used to work in the more expensive area where people drive BMWs etc. One of the rich snobs wouldn't move their car so they took the forklift and placed it somewhere out of reach hey don't fool around with a contractor :nono:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, right. Then Jesus and the tooth fairy had a picnic on the roof of the car.....

AintNoFun
05-21-2006, 01:07 PM
lolololol

One building contractor I know of used to work in the more expensive area where people drive BMWs etc. One of the rich snobs wouldn't move their car so they took the forklift and placed it somewhere out of reach hey don't fool around with a contractor :nono:

Yeah, right. Then Jesus and the tooth fairy had a picnic on the roof of the car.....[/QUOTE]

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I'am not sh**ing you the contractor asked the person not to park there the person kept parking there so they took the forklift placed the car out of the way. We have the forklift now we actually have owned it for 20 years dad bought it from the building contractor.

thepawnshop
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
I know the machine can physically "lift" most cars, but how the hell do you keep from damaging it?!?!?!

Seems like a prank that could go ugly wrong VERY quickly....

Gravel Rat
05-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Most guys have fork extensions for the jobs where you have opjects that are too wide for the regular forks like carrying pipe. Also fork extensions are needed for carrying stacks of trusses that are laying down. It saves you from trying to grab them by the king post.

Scag48
05-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Nicely done, Doug! Now you need to focus on getting that 135CRTS :laugh:

thepawnshop
05-25-2006, 08:19 PM
I need to pay for these toys first, Scag!

qps
05-28-2006, 02:17 PM
I need to pay for these toys first, Scag!

Got the new mini yet???

thepawnshop
05-28-2006, 06:26 PM
NOpe...supposed to ship from Davenport, Il on the 30th, so I guess it will be here the first week of June.

How bout you, Q...got that new 304 yet? I think I ticked my Cat guy off becasue I called him before buying this tele...actually I called AND emailed him because his company had one I was interested in but he never called me back. It does all come down to service...your Cat dealer takes good care of you and mine seems to have some kind of sour grapes. Oh well, I think the Gehl was a VERY good buy. Definately no regrets on my part.

Rented an 80C the other day due to the site that I was working in was so small...gotta say I was quite impressed with it.

qps
05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
First week of July...because of the angle blade, but I've had a loaner for a month.:cool2:

mrusk
05-28-2006, 08:32 PM
Pawnshop- You must have a bad cat dealer or something. Some people say they can't afford to run cat. As far as i am concerned, i can't afford to not run cat.

thepawnshop
05-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Don't wanna go down the old "Cat is better than Deere is better than etc, etc, etc" road again. I will say I have been very satisfied with my Deere products to date, though I am sure I could have been just as satisfied with Cat machines. At the end of the day, they all do what they say they are going to do...some just do it worth more style...and a higher price tag...

I think my car dealer is frustrated...I have demoed 3 machines and have not bought one yet from him, but I always give him a fair shot. I seriously WANT to own a Cat...we just can't seem to get it together. My concrete rep used to work for the local Cat dealer (Carter Machinery) and she still has contacts there so the next machine I shop I think I'll get her involved. Plus she is nice on the eyes as well....

Tigerotor77W
05-28-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Doug, what'd you think of the factory visit? I apologize if I missed that thread/post (or if it hasn't been covered, as not to drag this one off-topic, perhaps you could open a new one?).

Scag48
05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
We should get a FREE trip to the factory one of these days with all the money we've spent on Cat.

2004F550
05-30-2006, 05:07 PM
believe me, at least here, it takes a lot of $$ to get that free trip

qps
05-30-2006, 07:46 PM
believe me, at least here, it takes a lot of $$ to get that free trip

My salesman offered to take me and my son to the Ill. plant...but its close for us...

thepawnshop
05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
The trip was rushed but a lot of fun. The dealer really went all out to make us feel "important". I honsetly think I enjoyed meeting the other customers and employees of our local delaership more than I did the tour...which is what I think a big part of the trip is about...making you feel like part of the "family".

Hell, 90+ degrees here today and my Deere salesman pulls up with ice cold bottled waters for my whole crew...I can't even get the Cat dealer to return my calls.

The trip was great and I hope I get to go again!

2004F550
05-30-2006, 11:37 PM
yea here they charter a plane and everything so it is quite a deal

Gravel Rat
05-31-2006, 02:02 PM
That is the way the Deere dealer is for B.C. same with Komatsu they want your business. When you see dealer representives or service trucks in the area it shows they care about customer base. For them to come here is a all day trip because they are 4 hours away.

mrusk
05-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Well my cat salesman stopped by my job site the other week and gave me a CAT HAT!!!! I think the cat hat is what brainwashes the cat owner.

Scag48
05-31-2006, 10:29 PM
Last year when we bought our 303, we got 6 hats, 2 knives, a couple pens, and something else, I don't remember. The hat really does make the owner!

thepawnshop
05-31-2006, 11:26 PM
All this "CAT love"....I think I am going to be sick.....

Scag48
06-01-2006, 12:04 AM
You're just jealous! :laugh:

Gravel Rat
06-01-2006, 12:11 AM
I bet these Cat lovers have their house painted Cat yellow all their dishes have the Cat logo on them. They have pictures of their Cat salesmen hanging on every wall of the house.

You want to make money with a machine better buy a Deere excavator :)

2004F550
06-01-2006, 04:57 PM
not really, buy a volvo and save fuel

ksss
06-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I was given tickets for the CAT show at CONEXPO last year. They gave away free CAT hats. Sorry but the hat didn't help. Even after gorging myself on all that I could eat and drink. It wasn't enough to run a CAT. I actually gave the hat away so maybe I didn't wear it long enough. I do have a CAT T shirt though. It says CAT diesel power. Very cool and I am OK with it since it doesn't promote their yellow iron directly.

qps
06-03-2006, 07:14 PM
I was given tickets for the CAT show at CONEXPO last year. They gave away free CAT hats. Sorry but the hat didn't help. Even after gorging myself on all that I could eat and drink. It wasn't enough to run a CAT. I actually gave the hat away so maybe I didn't wear it long enough. I do have a CAT T shirt though. It says CAT diesel power. Very cool and I am OK with it since it doesn't promote their yellow iron directly.

Cat envy:cool2:

ksss
06-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I have been exposed.:cry:

mrusk
06-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Well my cat dealer is having a open house with a BBQ and a Rodeo at the end of the month!!!!:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :drinkup: