PDA

View Full Version : How to handle this one.

TPnTX
05-21-2006, 08:52 AM
I wanted to check my thinking on this one by asking you folk how you would treat this situation.

1stly the customer works for a place where they make colored mulch from re-cycled tires. He is out of town at a seminare for this prodcut. I am out of town doing another job and my employee is doing the irrigation and bed prep for this job.

I order 12 yards of pro mix a and 8 yards of Fine Shredded hardwood mulch.

Company delivers the pro mix, my employee gives them my check for the amount of both loads.

While in route with the shredded hardwood, the customer calls my employee(not me) and tells him, he's changed his mind about the mulch. He wants to go with rubber mulch. So GS tells him that it's too late it's done deal because the truck is on it's way.

So the truck arrives dumps the mulch.

So two days later he gets home and calls me drunk. "I don't like the Mulch" "I can't tell the Mulch from the Dirt" "I want to use the Rubber Mulch" "Cant you return the hardwood mulch"

I just got back in town and I'm going to deal with it sometime today.

I dont know anything about rubber mulch but I'm having a hard time with this guy.

Here is my solution:
I'll split the cost of the mulch since he didn't call me directly.

I will remove it from his property.

It will be an addtional charge to apply the rubber mulch.

And he must release me from any plant guarantee after 3 months.

maxkicker
05-21-2006, 10:37 AM
i dont know if your employee told him it was on its way and the customer agreed then its on the customer i wouldnt split anything

if your already having trouble with this customer bending over backwards prolly wont do you any good

topsites
05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
if your already having trouble with this customer bending over backwards prolly wont do you any good

When materials and rigmarole are involved, you got to get paid.

Time to put your foot down, but know you may have to resort to collections to get your money.

Now...
Any customer calls me drunk, whatever they say usually means nothing and thank you. So, don't call me drunk.
Anytime someone agrees to a job, the job is done the way it was agreed upon at the time of the original agreement: Any changes are either extra or not even considered. Some folks like throwing curveballs after things get started, I will not tolerate this, the job will be finished as originally agreed upon or I cancel right now (of course, that's not so easy once you get started), but at this point you need to get paid for whatever is involved, if removal or whatever, you got to get paid for all of whatever it is they want. Boil this down to 2 or 3 choices to simplify matters, give them those options and the prices so they can decide. If the customer has other ideas, the choices you gave them are the only options, this being a matter where you have to put a stop to it, or it will never end.

See this thread, I had a similar situation with mulch where a customer decided to hire someone who could do it a day earlier without notice to me and by the time I got there, the job was already done (thou I got lucky but that's beside the point):
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=147184

All it is, you're not playing around with them.