PDA

View Full Version : Triaxle Dump

Jpocket
05-21-2006, 04:25 PM
Can someone share with me some details about owning/running a dump hauling construction materials. Im thinking of going into the trucking business. Been around em all my life but never paid alot of attention until recently. Getting into the business won't be a problem as I have a freind whos been doin it for years he has 7 triaxles.

I just wanna talk to as many ppl. I can so I can get a feel for what it's like. I don't base decisions on one persons opinion.

oldrustycars
05-21-2006, 04:41 PM
talk to your friend, see if you can lease on with him. he finds the work, dispatches you, you use his authority and DOT numbers, and you pay him a percentage...around here its 10%. after you get the hang of it, you can do it all yourself, and not have to pay him the percentage, but its more work for you. also try local material yards, or gravel pits and see if they're hiring trucks. be careful about figuring your costs. find the cost for plates, insurance, fuel (figure 5 MPG or less), upkeep (steer tires will cost close to $400 installed, way more for floats. drives, where you can use recaps, are more like $200) (oil changes are 11 gallons of oil, usually at least 2 filters, plus a couple fuel filters, air filters, etc.) my friends shop where i sometimes work charges $295 for a front to back service on a 3 axle truck or tractor. thats oil and filters, fuel and coolant filters (air filter extra), grease everything, adjust brakes, check and top all fluids, check and minor repairs on lights.
some places pay by the hour, some by the load, some percentage of the load. some jobs you cant get in unless you're union. but if you have a friend who's in the business, talk to him. he should know what it costs per mile to run a tri axle. i know plenty of guys around me that ran semi dumps, which is how we haul most material in illinois, and lost their asses grossing $3000 a week. just ONE overweight fine will wipe out that entire 3 grand. so figure this out very carefully.

nac
05-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Where in the North East are you? Here in NJ a Dump truck get $600 from 7-3. If you were to go out any buy a new truck you would never make it. If you buy a used truck maybe but with repairs and maintenance would probably not make it either. Most guys who have dumps have it to compliment there excavation fleet and rent it out when there not using it. Is around here the only guys making money with dump trucks have a fleet of them usually 10+ Min.

Jpocket
05-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks keep it coming........

Jpocket
05-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Where in the North East are you? Here in NJ a Dump truck get $600 from 7-3. If you were to go out any buy a new truck you would never make it. If you buy a used truck maybe but with repairs and maintenance would probably not make it either. Most guys who have dumps have it to compliment there excavation fleet and rent it out when there not using it. Is around here the only guys making money with dump trucks have a fleet of them usually 10+ Min.

SE PA, guys here usaully run all of Se pa and South Jersey

iluvscag
05-21-2006, 11:50 PM
This is all you need.

oldrustycars
05-22-2006, 12:06 AM
as Nac said, looks like a tri axle around there grosses what a semi gets here. the guys near me that are making it are hauling for someone who's had their fill of unreliable guys with broken down crap who cant get the job done. one concrete plant has several guys hauling sand and aggregate from the pit to the plant. its all they do, all have nice equipment, and show up every day. the problem, in my opinion, is too many foreigners just off the boat who work for unscrupulous companies. they help these guys get an SBA loan for a truck and trailer and tell them they can make a fortune at 55 or 60 an hour. they think..."holy crap, in old country i make 55 in a week". the company takes their 10 percent off the top, and by the time the guy goes broke and goes back to bulgaria, more guys are here to do it all over again. no one will pay what the jobs worth as long as guys will do it for cheap.