PDA

View Full Version : Gopher 2006 vs Quickbooks Pro.

Freddy_Kruger
05-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Listen I got to bill next week and I haven't figured out how to use Quick books yet but now I also download a demo for Gopher So I want to know which one people prefer and why?

I usually make monthly billing with excel and word, I do a merge but that was for snow clearing I wanted it to look more professional for lawn care. This is my first season in lawncare btw.

BSDeality
05-21-2006, 07:02 PM
i use gopher for my scheduling and mowing/application routes billing. However I use QB-pro for my other landscape billing, double data entry sucks, but its what I have to do now. I was a huge supporter of gopher when I first got it and still highly recommend it for mow/go operations, but if you want true accounting information you need something more powerful (aka QB). The guys at gopher are extremely helpful with their program, but it does not function the way I need it to. They promise all these new features but haven't delivered yet and unfortunately for them I cannot wait any longer.

Freddy_Kruger
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
The basic version is very simple and the pro version is way too expensive for company I haven't heard of.

I better get cracking on quickbooks Pro.

Roger
05-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Freddy .. If you are this far into a billing cycle and have not yet understood QB, what are using to make your daily records of work? Surely, you are updating your billing records after each day's work, right? Why can't you use the tools to invoice that you are using to do the daily record keeping?

Freddy_Kruger
05-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Freddy .. If you are this far into a billing cycle and have not yet understood QB, what are using to make your daily records of work? Surely, you are updating your billing records after each day's work, right? Why can't you use the tools to invoice that you are using to do the daily record keeping?
Well, I got a accordian folder and I put all my reciepts into it.

For daily reciepts I'm using outlook print outs and I'm using my deposit slips and monthly bank statements for how much I make. I really fell behind this spring I bought quick books but I got so busy:dizzy:

What I was planing on doing for lawns is what I do for snow. I have all the info in excel and I do a word merge. That prints out all the bills, I fold them up and drop it in their mail box next time I work. I really wanted to be more professional that why I bought quickbooks pro...I don't do daily book keeping;) I got a book on it though if that means anything. I only have 23 weekly customers btw, the rest I just write out reciepts if they want one for window cleaning or power raking.

bamaone
05-22-2006, 11:30 AM
I use Gopher. I used Excel last year and got Gopher Basic this year. It is just what I needed. I have 60ish Res/Comm. maintenance accounts. It is really good for this type application, b/c of the scheduling features. Once you have all your accounts, rates, mat. etc. entered, It saves me a ton of time billing. All I have to do is click print bills for month, load paper. For our one time jobs, (installation, other) I still print invoices in Excell and I use QB for accounting. If you have regular maintenance accounts I would recommend Gopher.

GlennZ
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
When you are small this is the best time to start putting systems in place. If you don't think you have time now, wait until you get bigger. then you will have a real mess. It scares me a little to hear that you use receipts and deposits slips to find out if you are making money.What are your future plans? To stay small or start to grow? Do you really want to make serious profit? Then you need to start getting the all the numbers in order.

Freddy_Kruger
05-23-2006, 04:21 PM
When you are small this is the best time to start putting systems in place. If you don't think you have time now, wait until you get bigger. then you will have a real mess. It scares me a little to hear that you use receipts and deposits slips to find out if you are making money.What are your future plans? To stay small or start to grow? Do you really want to make serious profit? Then you need to start getting the all the numbers in order.
That sounds like some good advice. I've kinda leveled off but this year I'm invigorated and have started lawn care and have big plans. I'm growing. I can get work and do good work but I'm a crap businessman. I'll get it together though.

GlennZ
05-23-2006, 04:25 PM
You are in the same boat as many people. They hate the business end. Unfortunately that side pays the bills and makes a living. If you can not do it, find someone that can help you. A business owner needs to know his strong and weak points, then he makes smart decisions. Don't work your butt off for nothing.