PDA

View Full Version : Demoed the new ASV SR80

Digdeep
05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I can now see why my salesman is so jazzed about ASV's new SR-80. I was able to give it a test run at the dealership. Even though I'm not in the market for a new machine since I've been focusing on winding the school year down and I don't know how much more dirt work I have in me once i get married to my fiance. Teaching math, getting married, and landscaping might be a bit too much. Here are my thoughts:

1. The machine is amazingly smooth. I've operated the CAT 277 and the SR80 is much, much smoother with the new suspension.
2. The traction is unbelievable with the 20" tracks and suspension. It is a real production machine in terms of pushing material, digging, and transporting the dirt to the truck. The low gear is 7mph and the highspeed really cooks. Even with a load in the bucket.
3. This machine had a full cab and it is a very quiet ride.
4. There is no hand throttle. The foot throttle acts as the throttle, accelerator, and decelerator all in one. I was skeptical, but it is extremely functional.
5. I tried the variable flow on a Mp bucket and the operations is very smooth.
6. I also liked the self-leveling feature. It will keep the load level on the way up and on the way down.
7. I think that ASV might have made a huge advance in the undercarriage with the way the wheels are set up. The hubs that hold the bearings are sealed with metal face seals and if you need to replace the wheel you only have to replace the rubber and not the whole wheel.
8. The undercarriage is very wide open and will be easy to clean out.
9. It is the nicest cab in a skid steer size machine. The difference between my RC50 and the SR80 is immense. The fit and finish is great and the A/C is very cold. The cab is also virtually dust free due to the positive pressure that the fan provides.

The things I didn't like:
1. The cab might be tight for operators pushing 275-300. There is good leg room, but the split lap bar can only be adjusted away from the belly a little bit. Operators under 275 should fit just fine.
2. The 2" receiver is recessed a little too far back under the rear of the machine. I use mine quite a bit on my RC50 and I would need a longer bar on the SR80.
3. The machne is tall. it's still shorter than the Takeuchi, but you do notice the height.

Overall I thnk that it is a very good machine. The best that ASV has built. It kind of makes me miss selling equipment again, however, not enought to quit my day job.

Tigerotor77W
05-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Good to hear that the UC seems to be designed extremely well. Are you planning to buy one?

Digdeep
05-22-2006, 01:23 AM
I just don't have a need for a machine with a 3,000lb ROC, high-flow, etc. I've got two already, and besides, my fiance would kill me!

If I was in the market I wouldn't hesitate. It is really a nice solid machine with many features that the competition just can't match, i.e. speed, smoothness, variable flow low-flow 0-20gpm (load sensing), high-flow (load sensing), self-leveling (up and down), ground clearance, pushing capability, sound, positive pressure cab, etc. All of these are standard except for the A/C.

Squizzy246B
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey DigDeep, that thing is a beasty....I think I'm in love:rolleyes:

Had a look today at a trade show...sorry about the blurry pic but this machine looks the goods. I also jumped into the new Case 445 tracked machine...what a time warp. How come Case can build such a good machine and then put together a cab as cramped and poorly finished as that.

Squizzy246B
06-11-2006, 09:20 AM
While I was at it I snapped this pic of the Thomas approach to CTL/MTL:

Squizzy246B
06-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Oh..and the SR80 picc'ed had a hand throttle as standard

Digdeep
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Squizzy,

Thanks for the photos. It's amazing the SR-80 is already in Australia. Are you sure about the hand throttle? I was told by my salesman that it wasn't even an option (The one I demoed did not have one). The foot throttle in the machine I operated acted as a throttle (stayed where I set it), accelerator, and decelerator. In any case, it would be a good option for those who didn't want the foot throttle. It's nice to know you take some time off to "smell the roses".....I mean check out the iron :)

Squizzy246B
06-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Are you sure about the hand throttle?

Sure as sure can be!

ksss
06-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Squizzy that cab is actually an improvement. My 03' is even worse. The cabs wont be getting any wider anytime real soon. I am hoping that they become more "finished" however. CASE cabs in other lines (backhoes, dozers, excavators) are nicely finished. Whatever the reason (cost I suspect) they have skimped on really finishing that cab. CASE skid steers have some of the highest build costs in the industry (fact). I think in effort to not over pricing themselves they are spending less in cab area and spending more in the rest of the machine (my opinion not based on actual information).